Introducing Myself

Guest TDotGreys

Guest TDotGreys

Hi everyone!

Thought my first post should be an intro. :-)

My name is Jenn, and I live with my husband in an apartment in downtown Toronto, Ontario. We have been discussing on and off for about a year whether we are in a good place to open our home to foster Greys, and we feel we are getting to that point perhaps this year.

When we approached an adoption group on the west coast a couple years ago, we were denied because we didn't currently have one of their Greys. I think it was a bit of an oversight, as we are extremely dog experienced, but I suppose that was their policy. Truth be told, I would rather foster Greys and help them along their journey, rather than adopt. Besides, one day I am sure a special Grey will earn a permanent place in our home... I just want to help a few others first. :-)

Anyway, now that we have resettled in Toronto, I am hoping that a local adoption group will welcome us as fosters.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by TDotGreys

Welcome! There's a few groups in the GTA who do fostering. I have no idea of their reputations, so I can't help you there. Summer came from GRA in London, where you can actually select your own dog (or be selected by the dog, LOL, as the case may be). The GTA groups bring up a dog which supposedly matches your requirements, foster it and THEN you get to meet the dog. I have issues with this method. What if you don't "click"?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest TDotGreys

Well see that is another reason I want to foster first, then "fail" rather than be "matched". Sometimes a click is intangible. And it's a win win because I would be helping Greys in need as long as there is an open foster spot. :-)

ETA: Summer is lovely! I have seen her photos while lurking.

Edited by TDotGreys

Guest brcgreys

The best suggestion I can make is for you to contact the greyhound adoption groups in your area,meet with them personally, figure out which you'd be best suited to help (location,needs of the groups, personalities of the people you'll be working with,etc.). Then offer to volunteer for meet and greets, kennel work (if they have that setting) and possibly babysit someone's hound while they are on holiday.

Keep in mind, most groups are going to seem picky/peculiar at first. We all do tend to be a bit "protective" from the onset. That's only because we know that the greyhound breed has it's own set of peculiar habits,requirements,ailments and handling issues. Any adoption group worth it's salt will want to teach you and be happy to share the breed we all love so much. Find every bit of info you can on greyhounds, read up on them..... it helps. Many of the "odd" things you'll encounter are absolutely normal and expected from greyhounds but not necessarily something you'd see with other breeds.

You'll find the group that feels "right" to you and then you'll have a blast helping the hounds! happy group hunting! :)

Guest Lakota

Hi there,

Welcome. What part of TO are you in?

The only group I know with a kennel is GRA, and they're about 3 hours away and don't do fostering. So kind of far for regular visits. There are a couple of adoption groups closer to Toronto that do fostering. The largest is GINA.

Good luck, I hope you find what you want.

Hi there,

Welcome. What part of TO are you in?

The only group I know with a kennel is GRA, and they're about 3 hours away and don't do fostering. So kind of far for regular visits. There are a couple of adoption groups closer to Toronto that do fostering. The largest is GINA.

Good luck, I hope you find what you want.

Guest TDotGreys

Thanks for the advice! :-) I am a little familiar with the peculiarities of Greys, but definitely want to learn firsthand.

We are right downtown at Church and Queen.

When we approached an adoption group on the west coast a couple years ago, we were denied because we didn't currently have one of their Greys.

As someone that usually stays out of these discussions I just had to ask this, if this group denies you because you don't have one of their greys, how does anyone ever their first one from this group? :dunno

Dick

Guest TDotGreys

When we approached an adoption group on the west coast a couple years ago, we were denied because we didn't currently have one of their Greys.

As someone that usually stays out of these discussions I just had to ask this, if this group denies you because you don't have one of their greys, how does anyone ever their first one from this group? :dunno

Dick

Oh they would have adopted to us, I am sure... Just no fostering. I know, weird, but I respect their policies. Personally I am a little afraid of approaching groups either to adopt or foster - we are not really used to being scrutinized and evaluated, haha. I understand it, but we are still intimidated by it. *blush*

I mean, we have references, work from home, love our dogs and have sport dog experience (many years) but I still am apprehensive of not passing. Especially for fostering, because we don't have kids or a house with a yard. But I do believe we could provide a great help for groups who find themselves with adopters looking for dogs with city experience (public transit, patios, city walks, etc.)

Edited by TDotGreys

I mean, we have references, work from home, love our dogs and have sport dog experience (many years) but I still am apprehensive of not passing. Especially for fostering, because we don't have kids or a house with a yard. But I do believe we could provide a great help for groups who find themselves with adopters looking for dogs with city experience (public transit, patios, city walks, etc.)

As an adoption coordinator working out of Montreal we are desperate to have people foster hounds!!! No kids, no yard - No problem!!!

You have references, you love dogs, you work from home - what's not to like!!! :)

Donna

Guest TDotGreys

Thanks so much, Donna! :-) I am hoping a GTA group will feel the same! I will put some feelers out this week. By the way, someone suggested babysitting others' Greys while they were on holiday... What a great idea! Especially as we are heading into summer.

ETA: I absolutely love the collar Logan is wearing in your sig pic! It "matches" him so well! :-)

Edited by TDotGreys

Thanks so much, Donna! :-) I am hoping a GTA group will feel the same! I will put some feelers out this week. By the way, someone suggested babysitting others' Greys while they were on holiday... What a great idea! Especially as we are heading into summer.

Welcome to the forum! First of all, perhaps board memeber and GINA foster mom at one point "Krissy" will see this thread, she had a very good experiance fostering um...darn, forgot his name. :unsure

How's about you come on down to the Greyhound picnic this Sunday, it's near Guelph...there might be some groups that foster. ;)

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/268760-2-nd-annual-greyhound-family-bbq-fundraiser/

Oh and as for doggie sitting, when do you want me to drop my bratty girl off? :lol

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest TDotGreys

How's about you come on down to the Greyhound picnic this Sunday, it's near Guelph...there might be some groups that foster. ;)

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/268760-2-nd-annual-greyhound-family-bbq-fundraiser/

That woule have been great... Except this weekend DH is playing Disc both days. But if there are any picnics or meet and greets in the GTA through the rest of June, we are game!

Bella is very pretty. I have a soft spot for the black dogs because I know (or someone said to me once anyway) that they can be hard to adopt out. But I just love their regal look! :-)

Edited by TDotGreys

Guest TDotGreys

That's great! Good for you. And welcome :)

Thanks! BTW, are you in FL? We are down there for part of the year (DH's parents live in Orlando) so we may run into you over the winter. I bet lots of folks here are from FL. :-)

We actually have a property (unfortunately, trying to sell it) in Ocala next to a Greyhound kennel.

Edited by TDotGreys

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I am in Florida, yup, though moving to Alabama in July thanks to the US Coast Guard :)

Oh wow, I'd love to visit the Greyhound farm next to your property. I bet there are lots of cuties there :wub:

There's plenty of hounds down here for you to pick from :)

Guest Lakota

That woule have been great... Except this weekend DH is playing Disc both days. But if there are any picnics or meet and greets in the GTA through the rest of June, we are game!

Bella is very pretty. I have a soft spot for the black dogs because I know (or someone said to me once anyway) that they can be hard to adopt out. But I just love their regal look! :-)

GRA is having a picnic on June 11, 11-4. It's a great day, but good luck leaving the kennel without a hound or two in tow (fair warning!)

Guest TDotGreys

Now THAT might be doable! Thanks for the heads up! I will drop GRA a note and see if there is any registration or whatnot that we need to do before we come. :-)

Guest PhillyPups

Hi and welcome from Philly. Good luck fostering, I fail at it, not my forte. :lol

I will say, that I have yet to meet a greyhound I did not click with, and once I have them I cannot part with them easily. Beware, they are like potato chips, bet ya can't have just one. They are a different breed, but that is what I love about them. I started wanting an only dog, but until last week I had 5, and up until two weeks ago, my housemate had 2, it seems so quiet with only 5 in the home now.

My first two lived in an apartment with me, the upside is I got a lot of exercise walking them, something I do not do enough of now. :lol

Good luck, again, welcome and keep us posted.

(I bet Donna has a hound on your couch in no time. :lol )

Dick

They denied them as fosters, not adopters.

If I ran a group, I wouldn't place fosters with people who had never had a grey before. Nothing against the OP; but my dog was in a foster home with someone who had never owned a greyhound, and had fostered only one other, and she did him more harm than good.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest TDotGreys

Dick

They denied them as fosters, not adopters.

If I ran a group, I wouldn't place fosters with people who had never had a grey before. Nothing against the OP; but my dog was in a foster home with someone who had never owned a greyhound, and had fostered only one other, and she did him more harm than good.

Obviously it takes a certain level of understanding and sense. I betcha I would not have ruined your dog. I'm sorry for your bad experience, but please don't paint everyone with the same brush. You were a first timer once too, and I am sure you will agree you handled it capably. There are EXPERIENCED idiots too.

Were George's fosters members of GT? Did they read every possible published book still in print about living with retired racing greys? Did they have experience with various high drive, sensitive breeds each with their own unique temperament quirks ranging from noise sensitivity through resource guarding? Were they experienced enough trainers that they'd been asked by two of the top obedience schools in their geographic area to run classes for students?

See? Can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Just imagine: they actually let people have BABIES without having had prior babies! I think anyone with desire and some semblance of intelligence and concern can foster greyhounds. The passion and dedication go further than experience.

Edited by TDotGreys

GINA has an event at a winery on August 7 and I imagine lots of GINA volunteers will be there that you could talk to about fostering.

Ben is a GINA dog and I found the group was greyt to work with, but I also heard you have to wait a long time to adopt, although this wasn't my experience. I'm assuming this could be because they don't have enough foster families.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross