Baby Proofing

Picked up a 2yo boy last Sunday from the farm.Poodle,house greyhound and Dalmatian all upstirs with DH. New boy ate the foam container from a chicken package while I scooped leaves from the pool. THEN tonight I find the kitchen sponge gone. I am not used to baby-proofing the house. I'm on the puter in the kitchen and new boy is knocking the burner off the range. Grrrrrrr. This is foster #6 and all the rest were gems.

:lol He's 2, so essentially, he is still a baby. I had to be diligent with following mine around and saying "NO!" They catch on pretty quick. The garbage tho, I had to bungee the cabinet door shut with the garbage inside of it. Silly dog figured out how to open the cabinets :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I have a garbage houndie - my parents and my sister have those automatic trash cans that open when you wave your hand over it. Well, Bootsy goes straight to their cans and waves his head over them to see what goodies are hiding inside. In our old house, we had to keep the trash can in the pantry. In our new house, it's in a pull out door/drawer, which he doesn't seem interested in figuring out. He will jump on the counters after goodies, though, so the last thing we do before leaving the house is make sure all food is up and out of sight.

Bootsy is 7, by the way.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

start some training by keeping him in the kitchen w/ you while you prepare food. put up a baby gate and make sure he stays w/ you so you can teach him what's off limits. no jumping up on the counter while you cook, no stealing food out of the fridge(had a foster who tried that - head in the fridge-grabbed a bag of onions in a second), ect. praise him for NOT lunging at food and everything else falls into place. better to expose him to the evil delights of food and give him appropiate dog treats for not grabbing and then work your way thru basic "leave it".clear off your counters and maybe put the garbage can under the sink(i use a 5 gallon bucket, cheap at home depot). a pup that young w/ major food interest is most trainable, just direct his energy into training. do use the umbicile cord method in the house so he will connect and you can reinforce positive behavior in the rest of the house. and remember a 2 year old needs LOTs and LOTs of exercise and mind activities. enjoy him, lots of fun, lots of energy!!!

Guest BrianRke

I too have one of those automatic infared trash cans. I have to keep it turned off :( Eventually he(Frank) figured out how to get the entire lid off. Now, I just make sure I take "dangerous" trash to the outside can so nothing cant hurt him if he does get into it.

I put any shoes that I dont want chewed on a shelf they cant reach.

I use my microwave as a storage area for any food that I would otherwise leave on the counter.

Bitter apple spray can also be a great deterrent. Spray it on anything you dont want the dogs to put their mouth on, ie: remote controls, trash cans, computer mouse...

He has gotten a lot better lately after a lot of "no's".

Good luck and Im sure when he gets his forever home, the new owners will be grateful for the training you provided.

He's only 2 and just a baby so baby proofing will be necessary.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You have a Nosey Nellie! :lol He's not just a trash-hound, he's a check-everything-out hound! Step up the supervising. Don't let him out of your sight - and correct BEFORE he gets his mits on no-no's. Speak first. When he goes to get up to grab the sponge, say "NO", or "uh-uh" or whatever is appropriate for that dog.

He has NO CLUE of the rules. Many fosters error on the side of "over-cautious" - I won't touch ANYTHING. Those are the jems you've had so far - trust me - in their forever homes, the "honeymoon" eventually wore off and they tested the limits.

This foster is more curious, brave, and outgoing. It's checking stuff out now. It's not BAD - it's curious. It's a toddler looking at everything and needing guidance. Yes, I think baby-proofing is a good analogy - but TEACHING goes hand-in-hand, and you have to be spot-on with the teaching. Short attention span. Catch and correct.

The nice thing is - in my experience - the "curious" dogs also tend to be the "smarter" dogs. Explain the rules clearly - and they get it.

Good luck - it sounds to me like you have a REALLY fun foster! I LOVE LOVE LOVE "quirky" grey. The "easy" fosters are boring.:)

ETA: this is also the kind of grey that thrives on training....they have a brain and want to use it. Working on simple training will help establish you as the leader (which the dog craves) - and reward it for behaviours that are appropriate (which dogs crave)... and make it have enough mental stimulation to maybe not need to "explore" so much. :)

Edited by sobesmom