Two Scrambled Eggs In The Mornning

Guest Alefone

Guest Alefone

Two eggs ,scrambled,made with a bit of milk and sunflower oil no added salt at all makes my grey a very happy camper and she gets it every other day.......she is 3 and a half and I would like to know if that's OK to give them.On a weekend I throw a can of sardines in it and she always eats 3 cups of Acana every night.....not bad of a life she has......... :colgate

Edited by Alefone

It's fine! Eggs are one of the best proteins (most bioavailable) for dogs. One of mine also gets 2 scrambled eggs per day :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

They eggs are fine, though you're putting yourself through a lot of work cooking them when raw would be just fine (or better). Of course if you like to cook, you might get extra enjoyment out of it.

I would lose the sunflower oil or replace it with a fish oil. Plant based oils have high omega 6s that contribute to tissue and joint inflammation. A fish oil will have levels of omega 3s that actually reduce inflammation and balance out the omega 6s already in the diet.

The girls get scrambled eggs on the weekend whenever I cook breakfast. They don't like the slimy raw eggs.. Lol they also had waffles last weekend...

Can Rocket and I come to your house? :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest kydie

I give eggs 2 to 3 times a week,, they love them and they are a cheap protein.. my pups love waffles and pancakes,, so I guess we too will come to visit,, we will bring the honey :lol

Guest sheila

might have to try the scrambled egg thing. I tried the raw eggs (shell and all) one time with 2 hounds and well, let's put it this way. I never really liked that wallpaper anyway.

Please keep in mind vets have limited nutritional training. As long as there are no other medical issues and your dog has a healthy immune system raw eggs are fine. Its a lot safer than giving manufactured treats that get recalled every month. Its all about educating yourself and doing what you personally feel safe.

------

Jessica

Don't know why you'd feed an egg raw, except as a convenience thing.

Joseph gets some other cooked things, so I just toss his eggs in with those. If we're having scrambled eggs ourselves, I'll usually toss in a couple extra as a treat for Gidget.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Alefone

Wow seems to me I am not the only chef over here.It takes only few minutes in the morning and it's never a bother knowing that she loves it:)

When DS and I make poached or "Dippy Eggs" (Over-easy) and I happen to break a yolk -thus terrible for dipping- it becomes Sammi's egg. ;) I always seem to bust at least one yolk.

So she usually gets 1-2 eggs, 3x per week. She also gets peanut butter. When I tried straight up fish oil for her, she had the worst case of the Big D I had ever witnessed. Even calling it "D" was an understatement! :eek My Mother was still alive at that time and she suggested olive oil instead of the fish oil. D cleared up. The only time Sammi has a skin issue is either in the Spring with the shed, or when she is nervous/stressed. During those times, I give her the olive oil and her skin calms down again. Otherwise, the eggs & PB alternate days. Her hair is glossy & soft, people cannot stop petting her. Skin is healthy. She is happy.

Guest Swifthounds

My vet says no on the raw eggs.

Did he/she have a reason?

Cooking a raw egg has no advantages over feeding the whole egg raw, and does lessen the nutrients. It's one thing to feed cooked, kibbled meats for convenience, but it's another thing entirely to go out of your way to put extra energy into cooking a food only to make it less useful.

Any thoughts on Soybean oil? Someone told me this was a good additive.

june

I would avoid all vegetable oils (they're cheaper for a reason) as they contain higher levels of omega 6s which contribute to tissue and joint inflammation and too little of the omega 3s, which lessen inflammation. If you absolutely had your heart set on a vegetable oil, I wouldn't pick soybean oil. It's almost certainly GMO and can be a big allergen as well.

Cooking a raw egg has no advantages over feeding the whole egg raw, and does lessen the nutrients. .

Which nutrients would those be? The nutrients in eggs are by and large not heat labile.

Guest Swifthounds

Yes, heating an egg over a short time, like soft boiling is fine, but high heat like frying an egg in a pan or the way most scrambled eggs are cooked can and does damage to the proteins, and irreversibly changes its nutritive values.

All of that setting aside that it's silly to put extra energy into cooking something that a dog was designed to eat in it's natural state. It's one thing if you're cooking eggs and give the dog some as a treat, but if you're feeding for coat improvement or as protein variety as part of a balanced diet, it makes no sense to cook it.

Yes, heating an egg over a short time, like soft boiling is fine, but high heat like frying an egg in a pan or the way most scrambled eggs are cooked can and does damage to the proteins, and irreversibly changes its nutritive values.

Damage the proteins? In what way? You do know that non-denatured proteins can't be digested, right?

And which nutrient values are changed? Other than biotin, which is more available when the egg is cooked.