Gasping For Air

This never happened before. Lexie all of a sudden was laying down and started gasping for air. (She wasn't sleeping and she just finished drinking some water like 5 minutes before it happened.) It wasn't a cough or gag like sound but actual gasping as if she couldnt breath thru her nose she had to open her mouth to get more air. Does this make sense?? Anyone else ever have this with their dog? It lasted a few minutes. She seems fine at the mometn. It just happened about 10 minutes ago. I am just worried..thanks for any input

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest mirthlesstroll

Sounds like a reverse sneeze. Melody does it all the time. It's thought to be allergy related, and I agree - Melody seems to do it more in Spring and Fall allergy season. Try rubbing her neck right where the throat meets her jawline, it seems to help Melody.

larygeal paralysis. Probably not this. Greyhounds - at least mine - do it all the time. If it becomes chronic you can give her a benadryl. Or rub her throat. Or give her something chewy to eat.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LokisMom

I once rushed Loki to the vet for reverse sneezing. The vet not unkindly laughed at me. It was a tad embarrassing. If it is reverse sneezing it shouldn't be anything to worry about unless it starts happening a lot. Then I might get a vet check just in case it is something else.