Panacur Question

After our latest battle with gurgles and bloody diarreah, our vet put Dustin again on Flagyl (one pill a day for fourteen days) along with a tummy settler (I believe it is Sucrolate). We decided also to do a round of panacur "just in case". I held off to let his system settle and started him on it today. He only has one more day of Flagyl (tomorrow) and two more days of panacur. He is also on an I/D diet on which he seems to be doing well except for one or two episodes of wanting to eat grass and gurgles - but only shortly after the initial onset.

My question is if there is anything I should be prepared for with the panacur? Also, the vet said that some hooks are resistant to panacur and we may try another womer down the road. Anyone have info on that???

Thanks in advance!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'd be interested to know too, since I just started Merlin on Panacur tonight for the next three days.

Dustin :kiss2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'd be interested to know too, since I just started Merlin on Panacur tonight for the next three days.

Dustin :kiss2

:kiss2 Back at ya' Merlin!

Someone said it's most likely not worms because other dogs in the house would have it - but I figure it's worth a try....not to mention that he has had this problem on and off since I got him and they were only kenneled together for a matter of days - so perhaps he picked it up and simply has not spread it to JJ or EZ.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest Swifthounds

It's a myth that if one dog had worms then all dogs in the household have worms. They can spread, but usually don't if the other dog's are healthy adults. That said, if you know at least one has worms, it's wise to treat all dogs in the household.

Guest MyHoodies

Several years ago my foster dog had hookworms...... it took four times to get rid of them.....

stubborn little suckers.... On the up note, it didn't spread to my other greys

I've heard a LOT of stories about how Panacur doesn't work very well. I used 2 doses of Drontal Plus on Summer when she had hookworms and it worked beautifully. I believe that Drontal Plus and Strongid have the same active ingredient as each other, pyrantel pamoate. Drontal Plus has a couple of others, too. Fenbendazole is the active ingredient in Panacur.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest brindleandfawn

Our foster had hooks and so followed our other hounds. It took several treatments of Panacur for all of them to get rid of the awful things.

Guest Swifthounds

I've heard a LOT of stories about how Panacur doesn't work very well. I used 2 doses of Drontal Plus on Summer when she had hookworms and it worked beautifully. I believe that Drontal Plus and Strongid have the same active ingredient as each other, pyrantel pamoate. Drontal Plus has a couple of others, too. Fenbendazole is the active ingredient in Panacur.

Panacur is more commonly given by small animal vets for hooks than other meds like strongid. Over time, parasites (especially a bad infestation) can become resistant. Hence, why those with horses, livestock, and kennel of greyhounds tend to rotate wormers. I've never understood why it's so uncommon in the pet world, especially with vets (I assume if people rely mostly on vets and don't have exposure to husbandry where rotating is common, those owners wouldn't know about it).

Guest SoulsMom

When Soul VERY first started having his issues he was prescribed Panacur twice by the E-vet. Obviously that wasn't the problem since he ended up in the hospital a month or so later. The Panacur slowed his 'firming up' process, but he wasn't on all I/D at that time, just chicken and rice.

Anyway you can get some back-up Flagyl from the vet 'just in case'?

I think the logic that if one dog has hooks the others will get them as well comes from the fact that hooks can live in the soil. So if a dog who has hooks poops in the yard and it's not cleaned up right away the other dogs are at risk of infection

Edited by SoulsMom

Panacur is more commonly given by small animal vets for hooks than other meds like strongid. Over time, parasites (especially a bad infestation) can become resistant. Hence, why those with horses, livestock, and kennel of greyhounds tend to rotate wormers. I've never understood why it's so uncommon in the pet world, especially with vets (I assume if people rely mostly on vets and don't have exposure to husbandry where rotating is common, those owners wouldn't know about it).

Good point. We rotate seasonally with our horses for that exact reasons - not to mention that some meds are more effective on certain parasites than others.

Guest LindsaySF

Do the Panacur for longer than 3 days. I've done 5 or 7-day treatments on occasion. We had resistant giardia and it took a 10-day course of Panacur to knock it out.

Hookworms require several treatments, a few weeks apart, to get them all. (Because the larval form "hides" in the tissues). I would rotate the dewormers for these multiple treatments.

Also, I recommend Interceptor over Heartguard, especially for resistant hooks and whips.

Good luck.

Do the Panacur for longer than 3 days. I've done 5 or 7-day treatments on occasion. We had resistant giardia and it took a 10-day course of Panacur to knock it out.

Hookworms require several treatments, a few weeks apart, to get them all. (Because the larval form "hides" in the tissues). I would rotate the dewormers for these multiple treatments.

Also, I recommend Interceptor over Heartguard, especially for resistant hooks and whips.

Good luck.

Thanks! It was Interceptor that I was drawing the blank on that my vet mentioned. I see her tomorrow to get an emergency stash of Flagyl and will chat with her then.

Did your hooks show up in a sample? Dustin has not tested positive for them....so I guess the only way I'll know is to go through major worming treatment and see if it happens again.....trial and error is so hard!!!!:blush

My dog Huck just got off of 12 days of Panacur and about 3 weeks of Flagyl. She also started him on B12 shots, one a week for 6 weeks and then 1 per month for the rest of his life. She said Panacur coated their stomachs and gives them time to heal.