Greyhound Puppy

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

Do grey hound puppies not raised on the track turn out similar in character as the track raised dogs? I'm thinking they do not, but curious what experience anyone may have had.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I think they do- they may be more likely to be good with children or used to certain things that track dogs aren't used to being around. They of course are a pain in the butt when young! They, IMO, may be more prone to crate issues and so forth since they haven't had the routine and training of a track dog.

I know plenty of amateur racing Whippets and a few Greyhounds who were raised as house pets and they have every bit as much lure drive as any track/farm raised Greyhound I know of. So, I wouldn't say it affects their prey drive or lure drive all that much, either.

I only know two AKC Greyhounds and they're both similar in that they're lazy, devoted to their owners, and love to chase. They're not as fast, but are just as driven. I certainly prefer race bred over show bred, but that's largely due to appearance and athletic ability, as well as health. I believe track dogs are healthier and they sure as heck are faster.

My first 3 greys were pups when I got them & except for being extra smart they were much like the young dogs that have come thru my house on the way to adoption. I've always had older dogs in the house that helped finish teaching "puppy manners" so maybe this helped. I'd take another pup in a heart beat, but better that a 3 yr old off the track!

Guest zombrie

I have only met one greyhound that was an "oops" puppy, and grew up in a home. I have to say, it's the only greyhound I have ever met that I don't like, she's obnoxious. But like I said, she's the only one I've ever met. It could be lack of training and how her owner raised her, or it's just her personality and it made no difference where she grew up. Dunno.

Guest CampWhippet

See my siggy? That's GT famous Tidbit, aka Sammie, the most easily trainable greyhound I have ever met. However, here nickname is "Box o Rocks." She came here at 3-4 months of age.

She can figure out absolutely nothing on her own but if you show her a few times and reward her for that behavior she will do it on command without hesitation. This is a dog that used to cry in pain when she stepped on her own foot, she's drownd in a puddle if you didn't tell her to stand up.

I don't think there could be a controlled experiment to prove track dogs turn out smarter than oops puppies. I will say one thing however. They are different in several ways but really the same in most ways.

Edited by CampWhippet

We have Tosca, and we got her as a 4 month old pup. She is more similar to a regular dog than a Greyhound. She is actually a little b*tch, we call her that a lot! I also prefer the track dogs. Plus I can tell which ones raced a lot (Master and Diego) vs the one that has not (Jamey). Jamey is more regular dog like than Master and Diego, who lead a more structured life, if you know what I mean.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Swifthounds

I would say they are basically similar based on my own experience (Vixen and I have been together all but 12 weeks of her 11.5 years), though I have seen some dramatic differences where the pups were separated too young, lived without other greyhound companionship, or were not given as much attention a structure as a farm dog.

Guest Hoolyghans

Spike (at the bridge) was an oops puppy, brought home at 7 weeks old. The first 9-10 months were painful, I thought he'd never get housebroken. I had raised 2 other puppies in the past (different breeds) neither of them were as challanging.

A little after his first birthday though, he got his memo from Greyhound headquarters and went into full couch potato mode. By his 2nd birthday the only thing that differentiated him from a track greyhound was that he didn't have the big, sculpted muscles that training puts on. He ran like the wind though and had all the other traits that make us love Greyhounds. I think having another GH in the house helped him learn the ropes. Abba was not at all maternal towards him but did tolerate him.

He was the doofy variety, not exactly a thinking dog but I think that's more individuality than farm vs home raised. Our boy Louie never raced but was on the farm for his first year and a half so he got the greyhound experience. He is the sweetest soul but lordy is he dumb. It's a sharp contrast to Miss Abba who is a very clever and calculating hound.

They're not as fast, but are just as driven. I certainly prefer race bred over show bred, but that's largely due to appearance and athletic ability, as well as health. I believe track dogs are healthier and they sure as heck are faster.

Although interesting to note that AKC greys have significantly lower rates of osteo. Not exactly sure what they have increased rates of compared to NGA greys.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Trentsmom

See my siggy? That's GT famous Tidbit, aka Sammie, the most easily trainable greyhound I have ever met. However, here nickname is "Box o Rocks." She came here at 3-4 months of age.

She can figure out absolutely nothing on her own but if you show her a few times and reward her for that behavior she will do it on command without hesitation. This is a dog that used to cry in pain when she stepped on her own foot, she's drownd in a puddle if you didn't tell her to stand up.

I don't think there could be a controlled experiment to prove track dogs turn out smarter than oops puppies. I will say one thing however. They are different in several ways but really the same in most ways.

Oh my gosh, you made me laugh. She's beautiful.

Do we really know that, though? I know of AKC hounds who died of osteo, and the sample is SO small...

ALL dogs can get osteo, but AKC Greyhounds do not get it any more than any other breed (typically long boned breeds) versus NGA Greyhounds, where one in five is the current rate.

Words I heard from the great man himself, in person, at a lecture I had the pleasure of attending.

I think maybe what you're saying is that there are so few AKC Greyhounds? I see your point...interesting to ponder.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greybookends

I got Ginny when she was 7 weeks old. She is now 5 years. I have raised many puppies throughout my life and I did not find her to be any different from the other breeds. IMO puppies are puppies and if you can't deal with the unruliness that comes with the territory than you should stick with the adult dogs. Puppies take patience.

In general temperament she is still just another GH. She is however very vocal but I have met many vocal ex racers. She is still very playful but I have met senior ex racers who are still very playful. She is very affectionate and snuggly but since she has been cuddled all her life that is to be expected. She is very pushy. She wants to play with everyone and just figures everyone wants to play with her as well and in her enthusiasm she comes across as aggressive. I know others do not always like this so I keep her close so that she does not over power others. Once the initial excitement wears off than I allow contact. This behavior I have also seen exhibited in ex racers.

She is not a chow hound. She is not picky but her whole world does not revolve around her food. She is a very dainty eater.

She comes to me when I call her MOST of the times. She has her moments but 9 times out of 10 she comes when called. The others usually come when they feel like it or if properly motivated.

She did attend and pass all of her puppy classes.

If given the chance I would do it again. I love my Gin-Gin and she loves me to.

Guest Trentsmom

I have only met one greyhound that was an "oops" puppy, and grew up in a home. I have to say, it's the only greyhound I have ever met that I don't like, she's obnoxious. But like I said, she's the only one I've ever met. It could be lack of training and how her owner raised her, or it's just her personality and it made no difference where she grew up. Dunno.

Same here; I know one person and theirs is crazy, but like you said it could have a lot to do with the home life and less about the dog itself.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yes there are so few AKC Greyhounds and if you look at their records on GH-data or at certain AKC Greyhound breeders' websites that list the lifespans of past dogs many died younger than 10/11 so what's killing them?

We adopted one greyhound at 4 years old and raised one greyhound(NGA stock not AKC) from 9 weeks old. Really, the main difference was one was a puppy and one wasn't. Greyhound puppies are first and foremost puppies and require all the work that raising a well adjusted, well socialized puppy involves. I've only raised one greyhound from a pup but my experience was he was very slow to mature - he was close to three before I considered him fully mature. Once mature he had the typical disposition of a greyhound, though with his own personality of course(he was always more outgoing and playful than our greyhound who came from the track but I believe that was more personality difference between the two).

If you are considering a greyhound puppy I think the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to commit to raising a puppy, not whether there will be a real difference between raising one from a young age or adopting one off the track. Puppies are tons and tons of fun...but also tons and tons of work if you want a well behaved and adjusted dog.

Heh. Sounds like our Ziggy. He was really slow to learn things but once he did...he was rock solid on whatever behavior was taught to him. he would never dream of not doing something asked once he understood what it was that was wanted.

It's been a real contrast with the standard poodle pup we're raising now. He learns stuff almost immediately but then there's the question of keeping him motivated to do what he's learned. Such a difference between the two dogs!

Reagan - adopted at 12wks

Lincoln - adopted at 11wks

Scout - rescued at 16wks

Trouble & Chloe - rescued at 5-6wks

In my opinion - having raised the Greyhound puppies listed above - retired racers are much, much easier. Puppies are puppies regardless of breed & they have to learn everything. I like puppies & have enjoyed mine, but they are more work than a dog that comes with the training a retired racer does.

Reagan only ever had one accident, but chewed like crazy. Lincoln was very difficult to housebreak & chewed any & all wood. Scout was pretty good all around until I got the twins (Scout was 10mos) - then she reverted. Trouble - well she earned her name - and Chloe is a barker (very loud & obnoxious.) Two at once was double the work.

We don't place many pups, but when we do I give 2 pieces of advice - exercise & socilization. Those are the 2 best things you can give your pup. Exercise makes for a tired puppy & a tired puppy is good. Once they get all their shots (usually 4mos) take them everywhere - walks, meet & greet, fundraisers. Expose them to everyone & everything. I have found that really helps as they mature.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest Swifthounds

Yes there are so few AKC Greyhounds and if you look at their records on GH-data or at certain AKC Greyhound breeders' websites that list the lifespans of past dogs many died younger than 10/11 so what's killing them?

:nod. And if they die younger than their average NGA counterparts, who's to say they wouldn't have developed osteo but just didn't live long enough?

I also hear the 1 in 5 quote a lot, but nowhere have I seen empirical data that would support that.

I forgot to add that Vixen was a pup wY back when oops pups were more of a rarity and everyone warned me not to be disappointed that she wouldn't be as muscled as a track dog. :lol. Boy, did they eat their words. To say she was built like a brick you-know-what is an understatement - it's all in the conditioning.

Edited by Swifthounds

Do we really know that, though? I know of AKC hounds who died of osteo, and the sample is SO small...

Well, apparently Dr.Couto knows that. That was a quote right out of one of the Oncology chapters in Small Animal Internal Medicine. Well, I paraphrased but here is the exact quote: "There is a distinct genetic predisposition to OSA in dogs; for example, in former racing Greyhounds OSA is the most common cause of death (i.e.; 25%), whereas OSAs are extremely rare in show Greyhounds in the U.S." The chapter was written by Dr.Couto. I took special note because Greyhounds were mentioned. I can ask him to elaborate when I visit him in July and let you know what he says. However, I doubt he would publish a sentence like that without some sort of significant proof.

I think I remember hearing/reading that AKC greys are much more predisposed to GDV. I know bloat is a hot topic here every now and again and there are those of us that point out that bloat isn't very common in greyhounds compared to the bloat breeds (Danes and G.Sheps), but I seem to remember that AKC greys have a higher rate. I cannot remember where I read or heard that though... so take it for face value as it didn't come out of my textbooks.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest HHHounds

Zorro was a oops pup we adopted at 10 weeks. He barks like a guard dog, is whiny and demanding, but sweet. I often tell people that he did not get the manual on how to act like a greyhound. He has been much more trouble than any of the 4 retired racers we have adopted. I love puppies, but would much rather adopt another retiree...

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yes, I've heard it too (bloat and AKC Greyhounds). Something- be it that, or maybe heart disease (just a guess) is killing these dogs. I would never deny the high and tragic rate of OS in NGA hounds, though. I've lost a Borzoi and a Greyhound to it; the Borzoi died just this past September. I know that Flat Coated Retrievers have huge cancer problems. A decade ago, almost all of them that I knew died at 7 or so. It would be interesting for me to do some research and see if they've improved the situation, and if so, how.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

We bought Chili at 3 months old, he parents were NGA hounds that were done racing and were living as hunting hounds.

At first she wasnt at all like a racer, she was very Lab like and bouncy and happy and generally unruly at times.

She has some trouble containing her excitiment and happiness at times because she loves everything and everyone. She has learned so many tricks compared to the racers i know and catches on very quickly to learning new things... even bad things B)

I have people say that non racers dont fill in as well as racers well they havent met chili, she actively lure courses and runs on a local greyhound training track and chases just as well as my retired racer Vegas.

chili is now 2 1/2 and sleeps just about as much as my retired racers, she has calmed down quite a bit but still has her happy crazy moments.

I love having Greyhound puppies in the house (3 fosters this year plus chili)they are crazy happy little things who love the world if you are not looking for a bit of crazy fun and a bit of a challange dont get a puppy.... if you are thinking about it go for it they are great and rewarding dogs to have around.

I know someone who has two greyhounds like this. Both raised from pups. I dog sat one time for one night....never again! I believe that a lot is product of the environment.

I have one ex-racer and one oops. They are very much the same while also being quite different. Some is genetic, some environmental.

Fenway came to me just shy of four months old. I'd had Grace for a year. She certainly helped raise him! I also used to take them to work with me where they'd stay in a day care environment with 30 other dogs for 8+ hrs a day. His two best friends were littermate yellow labs, Abby and Chuck, who were one month younger than Fen. So...he thinks he's a lab sometimes.

Here are the characteristics I've noticed:

Fenway: high prey drive, chiow hound, amazing muscles (impressive, even for a racer), super fast, very vocal, nervous around a lot of kids, major cuddle bug, loves to wrestle, play bitey face and tug.

Grace: medium prey drive, medium chow hound, loves kids, quiet, and the only game she plays with other dogs is chase.

Both are lazy, terrible jogging partners, love to cockroach, and both know a ton of tricks. And I adore them both with all my heart!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)