Chloe Got A Chicken Wing

What should we do ? She ate it about 30 minutes ago. My son left his plate unattended.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Just gave her half a rOll. I'm so po at my son. Thanks Pam.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

It's happened in our house before as well and both times we had no issues. Soak some bread in vegetable or olive oil to help lube everything up as it is being digested. Use 1-2 slices.

She should be ok...just watch her closely for the next bit.

(in future, ideally the bread / oil would be given a within the first 5-10 mins). Keep us posted!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Here I'd give 2 or 3 slices, ideally of cheap whole wheat sammywich bread which is what I usually have on hand. :dunno how big the roll was.

I know you are a concerned Mamma but don't stress out or get too mad at your son. Countless dogs have accidently and/or purposely consumed a single chicken wing or two and been just fine. Hope she is fine also.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Just gave her the other half.

Opie ate a whole turkey carcass a few Thanksgiving ago. I came here in an absolute panic, and was given the same advice - give bread, watch him. He was fine, other than 2 days of diarrhea. !!!!!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest manawatugal

My dog got into our rubbish bin last week and managed to hook out a cooked chicken leg, I was worried too but nothing happened. We shouldn't overeact or get paranoid about every little thing after all dogs having been eating the most inappropriate things for a long time and I'm sure the odd chicken bone aint gonna kill them!

Guest peacehound

Peace once ate the entire bones of an eight piece KFC bucket..my mom was dogsitting and was a bit careless with the trash. It took two days for the bones to pass in her stool..I was so nervous for weeks thinking an odd piece would pierce her somewhere inside

Guest Swifthounds

If she was going to eat a piece of cooked chicken, wings are probably the least likely to cause problems due to the tiny size of the bones, flexibility, and high cartilage content. The bread should give her some cushion. I would watch and wait. Even with a full kibble dinner in front of it, it should pass within a day.

Sounds like the son's still alive, so that's good too. :lol

How is Chloe doing? I hope all is moving along well!

I also second the feed bread/don't panic advice....but I realize this is way too late now!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frankie snarfed a gross, nasty fried chicken wing off the sidewalk once when we were out walking and literally inhaled it before we could stop him; we still talk about the "chicken wing incident" to this day :lol He was fine, I did give him a slice of bread when we got home as a precaution.

Guest KennelMom

She'll most likely be fine. Their stomachs are very acidic and even cooked bones will most likely digest with no problems. I doubt bread really makes any difference at all, considering their stomach environment. But, it's one of those "can't hurt" things I suppose.

It's recommended you not feed them cooked bones because they are likely to be more brittle and splinter, but it's not a given that it will be a problem. Especially a small piece of chicken that she most likely swallowed whole anyway. My Grandma's chihuahuas always lived their entire lives to 13-14 eating the left over cooked chicken bones like wings and never once did they have a problem. Not to say it can't or won't happen, just that it's not a given.

Keep us posted! You'd want to keep an eye out for blood, either dark or light, in the stool and abdominal discomfort.

Edited by KennelMom

Thanks all. Ms Chicken bones (not related to Chicken Arms !) is as crazy as ever and she looked at this as a greyt way to get extra goodies. We don't give our pups ANY people food, at all... so the fact that she got a roll out of the deal, the night of her chicken wing escapade was greyt to her. She is my counter surfer, the last one downstairs for" ou"t time because she pit stops in my son's (19) room on the way down to see what he has laying around. I have told this kid his entire life, if you are going to eat in your room (which I am not happy about to begin with) BRING YOUR STUFF down to the kitchen and do not throw any ANY wrappers in his garbage, because she will get them. He doesn't listen.

That is a whole 'nother rant!!!

Anyway, she is fine.

Thanks!