Stomach Noises

Guest ibeakila

Guest ibeakila

Hi, my 6 year old greyhound, sometimes early in the morning, she has to go out and a sound comes from her stomach. She will not eat breakfast when this happens. She wants to go out and eat grass. The sound is loud, it is almost like a gastritis she may have. I know she is not feeling good when this happens. I have tried everything, she has been to vet and they are not sure what is going on. The sound last about 2 -3 hours. She is going back to vet and they want to do tests. Was wondering if anyone else goes thru this? I have tried a liquid antacid, but still takes time to stop?

Guest dragontearz

Guinness used to do this frequently, he would eat grass and his stomach would gurgle horribly and then he would be fine the next day-hopefully it's nothing major..thinking good thoughts..

When this happened at our house, it turned out to be the result of hookworm. But it took three vets doing three fecals before it was found. :(

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

My dog is still sick. He has been making gurgling sounds for several months..my vet is waiting on the blood work again. She has him on Panacur and Metroidazole(several times)..I believe it is hookworms, but she does not think so...fecals have been negative. He will be on Panacur for a total of 13 days when this bottle is finished...When either of my dogs eat grass, they promply vomit it all back up usually on my living room floor. Good luck.

Summer did this gurgling thing periodically, too. Say... oh, once a week or maybe twice. When it was gurgling, she would not eat her kibble. I would have to add a lot of yummy stuff to it and even then, she may turn up her nose. She was also what I'd call "picky" regarding kibble brands and flavors. So we had to keep changing. Finally, I have now found (after almost a year) a kibble that she loves. And the periodic gurgling is now a thing of the past! I find this interesting.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

OY, sounds like the way things started with Beau and the IBD.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FullMetalFrank

One of my girlies had a similar problem when we first brought her home. If you didn't get a biscuit in her early enough in the morning she would get an upset tummy. Gurgly, sometimes vomited the yellow bile stuff, and grazed on more grass than usual. We give a biscuit at bedtime and another first thing in the morning, and the problem has resolved.

Dustin does this prior to one of his bloody diarreah episodes. (The blood is bright red - different from the darker blood he had when he seemed to have some type of reaction to something - an unrelated issue.) It has happened to him about three times. No indication of parasites. Each time, the vet has put him on an antibiotic and within 12 hours or so, he is fine. In his case, he's a bit of a nervous Nellie and she thinks that he stresses and weakens his immune system. I do question, however, if is something a bit more chronic - i.e., IBD or Colitis.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

The term for this is borborygmus.

My grey has this occasionally. I'll hear his stomach gurgling in the morning when we wake up and all he wants to do is eat grass and won't touch his food. I usually just hold back his morning meal until later in the day, and by then the noises have gone away and he is ready to eat.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ibeakila
No, I didnt but thank you, I will try that, next

I assume you tried feeding a small meal with pepcid at bedtime??

Guinness used to do this frequently, he would eat grass and his stomach would gurgle horribly and then he would be fine the next day-hopefully it's nothing major..thinking good thoughts..

Thank you all so much for your replys, just learning how to use website, don't even know how to add photo yet. Kila still gets this form of gastritis every now and then. I just lost my 9 yr old greyhound to diabetes complications, he had a stroke, I am still mourning over his loss. I had him since he was 8 weeks old. Kila is also mourning over the loss of her big bro, but she had this stomach problem for a few years now. Vets want to do several tests. Will be soon adopting another retiree but it has to be good with cats, since I have a few. Kila needs the companionship. Thank You all again

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. :( Hope the tests lead to answers for Kila. It took me a while to learn to use this website too, but it was worth it!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan had some issues with this as well. His stomach would bother him so he wouldn't eat, he'd have a lot of gurgling but he wouldn't even take treats, then the empty stomach also bothered him (the acid), and he'd puke. Adding Pepcid helped with the acidity, and changing to a different kibble made all the difference. He eats every meal now, and no more issues. (I'm feeding Nature's Domain Salmon & Sweet Potato). I also give him a snack before bedtime, so he doesn't have an empty stomach all night. Best of luck.

:grouphug

I honestly can't tell you how many nights I spent on the futon with Rex and his grumbly tummy. If I could get his gurgly tummy to eat ONE bite of what most attracted him he would go on to other bites, canned, then kibble. I just had to rotate them all -- braunswager, liverwurst, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, tuna, sardines, jack mackrel, pupperoni, liver treats... What he liked one night was never the same the next day. I just had to get him to eat one bite and he'd go on and be fine. FWIW

Poodle and I are battling on after a hard year with diabetes. He has one confirmed and maybe two strokes. Hugs to you guys.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Pam made me think of something. Chase has had some tummy issues, she's old (14 next month) and was a starvation case. To get her started eating I need to syringe feed her some food (usually in the AM). She'll eat on her own after that, it's like I just need to get her started by getting something into her tummy. If your girl keeps refusing food, you might try to syringe some into the side of her mouth to start her off, see if that helps. Once they get the growly tummy/acid build up thing, it becomes a vicious cycle (they don't want to eat because their stomach hurts, but the lack of food causes even more acid build up which makes them feel even worse, and so on).