So My Dogs Broke Into The Fish Oil...

Yeah. I'm a terrible dog owner, what can I say? I've spent $1000 in the last month on ONE dog so I guess it's unreasonable to expect them to hand out "free" advice.

If my dogs die I'll blame the internet. No where on there could I find that fish oil kills dogs.

I asked the vet this morning Lauren.

He said at the most he'd expect some diarrhea.

colgate.gif

Just got home too!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm glad to hear that things are looking okay with Fenway and Grace. Sounds like from what others have posted you shouldn't have to worry about any long term bad effects. I had 5 here that got into 4 Comfortis tablets that were for a 120lb dog. Didn't know if 1 dog got them all or several shared them. I called the vet because it was going to be real hard to get all 5 there at one time really not knowing which one(s) really needed to go. The vet instructed me to induce vomiting and to monitor. All turned out well.

Hey, y'all, going to the vet is hard on a sick greyhound! You don't just throw them in the car in the middle of the night and haul them around for nothing.

I've called the e-vet for advice about whether or not it's necessary to come in. They've been courteous enough to hand me off to a tech, who told me what to try and what to look for. Wound up taking him in in the morning anyway since the condition resumed when he awoke. But I don't think it's unreasonable to call for that kind of conversation. What I do think is unreasonable is receptionists who automatically tell people to come in, without themselves asking a tech or vet to make that determination. ("Policy" is my least favorite word, even though I realize the necessity for it.)

Glad it turned out well, Lauren. Sorry about the stitches. And I certainly feel ya about the money thing. :blink:

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Liz_in_PA

I want to know if they burped their fishy love for you. :lol

My cat likes to steal them, pierce them, and leave them as slippery death traps on the bathroom linoleum.

Monday update: It takes THREE days for fish oil to cause the Big D. Luckily it occurred on a weekend when we didn't have much going on....so frequent let outs combined with some rice seemed to do the trick. Several of the piles were just every soft (and OMG the stench mum.gif) with only one being mostly liquid. No gas output though.

Another note....this time the suspected party was in fact the guilty party. Fenway's digestive system gave him away, yet again. Just like the time he ate the Kate Spade purse. (Yes, you read that correctly. He ate 3 inches of the leather handle of an expensive Kate Spade purse. Through a muzzle. Sigh, what am I going to do with this kid? "Dog proof" in my world means padded walls....since he screams something fierce if he is crated.)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I'm glad they're okay, especially Fenway! So he was the only one eating 200 fish oil capsules?? :eek

Aston hasn't eaten anything particularly inedible since we've had him, but in his medical records, I found that he gulped down an entire BOTTLE of someone else's Deramaxx and chased those with a pair of designer sunglasses. I think we've gotten off pretty lucky. :blink: