Tell Me About Tramadol

Max has been on metacam for arthritis and just completed his series of shots of cartrophen (it's like Adequan) and has been feeling very good. Maybe too good as he seems he hurt himself running in the yard last night. He was perfectly fine until around 9 pm (after playing in the yard around 8 pm),and then progressively got worse as the night progressed. he was very anxious, pacing and panting, but that can just be Max :rolleyes: I had given him a melatonin around 7 ( he gets them fairly regularly) and then his dose of metacam around 9. He seemed to be unable to lay down; everytime he'd try to lower himself onto his bed, he'd get about half way down and pop back up, clearly uncomfortable.

We did finally get him to settle a bit around 6 this morning (loooooong night) and he is going to his chiro at noon. His vet is giving me some tramadol as the metacam does not seem to be sufficient. I know some dogs can react to tramadol with anxiety, pacing and panting - which he is doing constantly now (and the vet knows this).

I'm hoping the tramadol doesn't make the anxiety worse; vet is giving him a low dose to start.

What do I need to watch out for with the Tramadol?? Thanks for feedback...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Tramadol helped my old retriever immensely with his arthritis. It did not help Echo; it made her anxious and she lost 3-4lbs.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Jake takes tramadol without issue with Metacam. He did have a terrible time when he had it and rimadyl together though. Hoping this helps handsome Max.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

DesiRay takes Metacam daily & Tramadol during "bad times." He's never had a reaction to it at all, other than feeling much better.

ETA: I "borrow" a couple for myself now & again when I overdo, & it works like a charm.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest snakes

FedX is on tramadol for OS, he hasn't had any side effects and he a fairly anxious dog as a baseline. I haven't seen any increase in his anxiety. It definatly helps his pain.

Our biggest problem si that it is a fairly bitter pill and PB is one of the few things he will take it with!

No advice...just hoping is something minor and Max feels better soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks for the info everyone, and the good wishes! Chiropractor found his pelvis had slipped out by quite a lot, so she adjusted that; easily something he could have done running in the yard last night. Everything else was fine (I was a bit worried about his neck but she gave it a good look and it's fine). So, hopefully that will do it. I've given him a tramadol so fingers crossed that will make him feel all pain free and a bit drowsy (poor boy is so tired - really hasn't slept since around 7 last night) and he'll get a good sleep in and wake up feeling better (and hopefully I'll get a bit of a nap in too).

The PB on the tram worked like a charm - Max does adore his PB, so I figured it would. ;) Vet only prescribed one every 12 hours to start, and can up to every 8 hours if still not enough. He actually appears to be resting comfortably for the first time in 16 hours, so that's a good sign already!

Guest peacehound

my girl has been on Deramaxx for about a year now for her arthritis..seems to be working..before Deramaxx, she tried Tramadol and had a terrible time with it, pacing, panting, staying awake for hours on end..very anxious..I hope the deramaxx keeps working and I dont have to add something else..good luck with your grey

Guest sheila

No experience with using Tramadol with dogs. However my Dr prescribed it for me once and I had an odd reaction to it. It made my nose and ears tickle to the point I could not sleep at night. I would literally be up for hours rubbing my nose and clawing at my ears. I have had this reaction to other pain meds as well.

How long does it take for the tramadol to take affect? He had one tablet at 12:30; as I posted he did lay down after that but only for a couple of hours or so; he hasn't had a really good sleep yet - he still seems uncomfortable laying down. The instructions from the vet said 1 pill every 12 hours but can be increased to one every 8 hours if needed; I think I'm going give him another at 8:30. He gets his metacam at 10. I finally got some food into him, too - about a 1/3 of a can of wet food, but it's a start. He's starting to worry me... :unsure

Poor bug. :( Are they 50mg tablets or 100s? 50's you would be safe giving @ every 6-8 hours. 100's, i would consult your vet before giving any more often than s/he recommended.

Sending gentle scritchies for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor bug. :( Are they 50mg tablets or 100s? 50's you would be safe giving @ every 6-8 hours. 100's, i would consult your vet before giving any more often than s/he recommended.

Sending gentle scritchies for your boy.

20's actually - she wanted to keep him on the low end of the dose...he is such an unhappy camper! :(

That is approx. what i did with Joseph when I had to use Tramadol. I had given it to him once before (50mg) and sworn I would never use it again (panting, stoned dog who wouldn't lie down etc.) but next time I tried just 25mg to start, then another 25 an hour or two later, and that seemed to work.

Really hope your sweet boy can get some relief.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks so much. That's exactly what the vet was worried about - that he'd get too stoned. So I think I'm safe with another pill but...

I can hardly believe it but he is actually sleeping at the moment! I am loathe to wake him; I'll give him another pill when he does wake up; I can't imagine this will last long... :(

Fingers crossed .....

Ah, snacks are good!

With neck/back things, *usually* once they get a few doses of pain meds on board they feel much better. The first 24-48 hours can be pretty gut-wrenching, tho.

My Sophie just had back to back surgeries and Metacam and Tramadol were both given. It seems to give my girl a slight stoned look to her but still functional and responsive. I cut it back to 50mg vs 150mg and she did 1000 times better. I had a motorcycle wreck several years ago and jacked up my T5 T6 discs and the doc gave me Vicoden which made me sick to my stomach so the alternative was Ultram (tramadol). This is a very effective drug for me but 50mg morn and night was about all I could take. These 2 examples are reasons why we should find the amount that works and don't over medicate. It can also cause loss of appetite, dizziness, constipation, etc. The risks for people are seizures, cardiac arrest, suicidal thoughts-just to name a few serious ones. I personally felt a sense of serious irritability at times and depression when I stopped taking them suddenly. I don't know how this translates to greyhound, but I don't know of a drug out there that doesn't have serious risks. I still take tramadol on occasion when needed. I hope this helps as it was not meant to scare but share from my firsthand experiences. After all, aspirin and penicillin can be very bad for some people. (By the way, I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, I'm a mechanic. I just like to know what I'm taking and why- the same with my dog. My wife is an RN so she is the same way too.) :rolleyes:

Tramadol is an excellent painkiller (which I can personally attest to!) so it's definitely worth a shot. Try it, and if it doesn't work, then you'll know to move onto something else.

It might be pain and stress that has him panting. Good luck!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Just checking in to see how Max was feeling this morning. How much does he weigh?

DesiRay is 90# & can take #2 50mg tabs with no "gorking"

Hope y'all got a decent rest last night.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Well I think the second Tram at 8;30 and then the metacam at 10 finally did the trick! We all got *some* sleep last night.He was still restless but very much better! I think we'll keep up the 20 mg tram every 8 hours and see how he does today. He weighs 30 kg (which I think is around 65 lbs).

He's still not 100% but maybe 75%...hopefully by tomorrow he'll be that much closer!