Ava Visit Went Badly And She Has 103.8 Fever

Guest avadogner

So glad to hear Ava's improving. Hoping all goes smoothly for yiou on the 21st.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FullMetalFrank

Glad to hear her bloodwork was OK and she is feeling better. Praying she continues to do well, and for your surgery to go well!

Guest avadogner

Hi GT Friends,

Ava continues to improve on her new medications!:yay:yay :yay:yay :yay She doesn't stare off into space and has even started being cuddly with Augie again. This has also helped Augie with the constant whining and talking. He still talks and whines a bit for attention but we are getting serious with our training with him and it's helping.

The drama in my life has spiked again. I spent 4 hours at the hospital yesterday seeing my cardiologist, nephrologist and neurosurgeon to get clearance for my upcoming surgery. It was long and exhausting. When I went to the lab for my preop labs, I got the rudest lab tech ever. I am a RN and know sometimes you don't get blood on the first try and never get upset until after the 3rd stick. Due to long term med needs, my veins are in bad shape and I only have 2 spots where blood draws are most likely to sucessful. I politely pointed them out before the first draw. She puts her hands up like "oh no you didn't" giving me attitude. I very politely told her that I wasn't trying to tell her how to do her job, just trying to help her get the blood in one draw which saves time for her and money too. She said. "i'm just gonna have to step away and calm down." I was perplexed. I was very nice to her and she took offense with me. She came back and I kept my mouth shut. She chose to stick a place that wasn't one of the two I recommended. No luck. Stuck again no luck. I insitisted at this point she try the place I recommended and wow she got it.

Came home to find our den flooded in 2 feet water in our den. We are not in flood area but we had 20 inches of rain in one day. Our den is trashed. Carpet, furniture and the worst the chest with my wedding dress and all my wedding momentos. I just cried and cried. I know it's just a dress and things but it holds such sentimental value. We weren't blessed with children but I hope one of my goddaughters or one of my three nephews future wives would wear it. Or maybe I could turn it into a Christening Gown (I sew French Heirloom Southern Christening gowns) for my nephews children to wear. It was soaked with dirty rainwater. The imported chapel legnth veil from Ireland was heavily damaged. All our extra invites to the wedding, invitations to our parties, shoes, garter, dried bouquet were a total loss. I'm trying to remember they are just things and Allen (DH) and I still have each other which is far and away more important.

My first impulse was to call my daddy who is a former home builder to come help but my parents are divorcing due to some really bad things my dad did. I just couldn't call him because he needs help and won't get it. I've told him I would be there for him if he would get help for his problems. Instead, he keeps lying and we keep finding out more about things he was doing behind our backs. I still love him but he has to decide to get help. I will not enable him. The DH stepped up and took care of it but it was hard to not call my dad.

Just when I thought the day was a total loss, something so very wonderful happened. I crawled in bed and piled electric blankets on to go to bed (our heating unit was submerged and we can't use heat. Luckily we in the south so it was not freezing out but 43 degrees is still cold for us). I was crying and my wonderful baby Ava walked up the stairs into the bedroom and JUMPED UP on the bed and cuddled up with her head on my chest. This is the first time she has done this in months. It was like a blessing from heaven. My tears turned from sorrow to happiness. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, something so beautiful and amazing happened. This is one of the many reasons Ava will be my BFF (best furry friend) forever.

Thank you for all the prayers and wishes for happiness, they worked!

ava and augie's mum

Edited by avadogner

Oh, man, I got tears in my eyes reading your last post! First, tears for your sadness and frustration, then good tears when you said Ava jumped up and cuddled with you. They just KNOW, don't they? I'm so glad she's doing better. With your parents, the flooding, and all the medical stuff, it would be so much harder if you were worrying about her all the time. And I know you've been very worried. It sounds like you are doing everything for her that you are able, and being an RN, you have a good understanding. Sending prayers that she continues to improve.

Oh, I HATE it when people drawing blood don't listen to me! I've had blood taken so many times---4 times in the last 3 months alone (trying to find out if I have lupus---I don't!). My veins are terrible at best, but I know exactly where to put the needle in. Yet some of them insist on putting it everywhere else. Yeah, easy for them to know best, they don't feel the pain of a needle going through the vein! Sorry for the hijack. But that is a BIG pet peeve. Hey, is it easier to find a good place if you drink a lot of water before they stick you? I found out it's much easier for me if I'm hydrated. The last time, after several unsuccessful pokes, I sat in the doctor's office drinking a huge glass of water. The next poke worked.:colgate

And I'm SO sorry about all your wedding stuff. And your Mom and Dad. That is heartbreaking.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest avadogner

Thanks for the kind words!:grouphug You are spot on about hydration and Iv draws. When you are well hydrated the veins stand out better. When someone is dehydrated, the blood becomes thicker and more conentrated. The veins become smaller and harder to find to draw blood or place an IV. I was a NICU and Pediatric nurse. Babies and Kids have a higher fluid volumes to their body so they are more easily dehydrated. On the flip side if someone is in Congestive Heart Failure and several other situations, the fluid that is usually in the tissue shifts into the blood supply and this makes the veins jut out really bad. Things like extreme edema or obesity can make the veins totally unpalpatable (to feel).

In nursing school, they teach us all the body's systems. During anatomy and physiology labs, we do disection lab so we can see and learn where all the vessle lay. So if all else fails, we can find one off anatomy. IVs were always super easy with babies and kids because they don't have a lot of fatty tissue to hide veins. My coworkers used to joke that I could "start an IV one handed in a windtunnel". My first job out of college was in a level I (worst of the worst) pediatric trauma center. It was super stressful but it made me great with IVs which was great for NICU. Those poor parents were stressed and to have the nurse get the IV or blood draw on first draw made it easier to them. Probably TMI but now we all learned something new today and indulged me to discuss my job which I miss! Two birds one stone.:P

-ava and augie's mum

ps. I know I sound totally clinical and unfeeling about sticking defenseless kids but I helping them. I also admit when it's your kid, you lose objectivity. I have no children but I can't bring myself to clip Ava and Augie's nails. Ava's are black and I can't tell where to stop so I pay the vet or pet salon to do it. My vet thinks it's so funny that I could put an IV in a 2 lb baby but can't clip my dogs nails. :huh2

Oh, man, I got tears in my eyes reading your last post! First, tears for your sadness and frustration, then good tears when you said Ava jumped up and cuddled with you. They just KNOW, don't they? I'm so glad she's doing better. With your parents, the flooding, and all the medical stuff, it would be so much harder if you were worrying about her all the time. And I know you've been very worried. It sounds like you are doing everything for her that you are able, and being an RN, you have a good understanding. Sending prayers that she continues to improve.

Oh, I HATE it when people drawing blood don't listen to me! I've had blood taken so many times---4 times in the last 3 months alone (trying to find out if I have lupus---I don't!). My veins are terrible at best, but I know exactly where to put the needle in. Yet some of them insist on putting it everywhere else. Yeah, easy for them to know best, they don't feel the pain of a needle going through the vein! Sorry for the hijack. But that is a BIG pet peeve. Hey, is it easier to find a good place if you drink a lot of water before they stick you? I found out it's much easier for me if I'm hydrated. The last time, after several unsuccessful pokes, I sat in the doctor's office drinking a huge glass of water. The next poke worked.:colgate

And I'm SO sorry about all your wedding stuff. And your Mom and Dad. That is heartbreaking.

Edited by avadogner

Guest 2dogs4cats

I am so sorry things are so hectic for you right now, but happy that Ava is feeling better and that she is able to comfort you. That was such a great story, thank you for sharing. Life ebbs and flows, the tough times seem long and the good times sometimes seem too short. It's all about the journey.

I haven't posted but have read your and your fur kids' stories and just wanted to send you cyber hugs, and I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers as you head into surgery. Ava's jumping into bed with you was just like the old days, wasn't it? :wub: Such a good sign. Alicia, you just amaze me. Your spirit is inspiring. :grouphug:goodluck:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.