Skin Abrasion Treatment

Guest Valero

Recently, my wife and I rescued a 4 year old ex-racer from a local rescue chapter; we are fitting into his lifestyle quite well. :)

One issue that seems to pop up with Valero on a semi-regular basis is minor skin abrasions on his lower legs; we've taken to bandaging these abrasions with medical kling gauze to cover the wound until it heals, and to prevent him from licking at it. On a quick search of the forums, it seems there's different lines of thought regarding this.

• Collodial Silver, to manage infection
  • Coconut oil, as a moisturizer (and somewhat of an antibacterial/antimicrobial agent)
  • "Bag Balm", for moisturizing

I hesitant to use any of these, as he seems to want to lick the wounds unless covered; a new abrasion is high on the inside of his leg, and I can't wrap it.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance

Mike

Have you tried EMT gel? It works really well and i've never seen my dogs attempt to lick it off.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Have you tried EMT gel? It works really well and i've never seen my dogs attempt to lick it off.

Haven't seen or heard of it, although I do like the name (firefighter/paramedic by trade, ha!) I'll look for it around town here, thanks for the suggestion!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

If it's just a minor abrasion and he's not messing with it I wouldn't put anything on it. Just keep it clean and dry! Sometimes they only want to lick because you've messed with it and put stuff on it.

Sometimes if my dogs won't stop licking, I'll put some neosporin + pain relief on it just in case it's a little ouchie. Once it stops itching/burning/whatever they'll usually leave it alone. If you can get away with leaving it uncovered that's best so it can breathe.

I like Bag Balm. Its thick enough it has a chance of remaining on long enough to do some good and it works well for me. Theres a reason it is what over a 100 years old and still in production- it works. Never known any critter to be harmed from licking it. Would NOT use the silver prep. Wouldn't want to get heavy metals in their system.

the silver gel is amazing stuff. Just started using it and am super impressed with how much it helps! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway