Green Tripe

Figma

On another dog list I'm on, a couple of friends are telling me to feed Ranger green tripe, said it's nutritious. He is having renal issues (ultrasound set for tomorrow) and I have him on ID food. He has always been a picky eater.

Any of you ever feed this? Can you give it to a dog with renal issues?

I give my two senior girls (non greys) a spoonfule of tripe mixed into their kibble twice a day....however, neither of them have kidney issues.

What does your vet say?

We originally got it for Bandit (11 yr old PointerX) last fall when out of the blue she refused to eat anything except cheese. All her blood work was normal, as was her physical exam. She was acting a bit depressed and was not her usual 'Energiser Bunny' self.

She LOVED the tripe!

After only a couple of days mixing tripe with the soft gastro food, we started adding the kibble back in and she perked right up. Within a couple of weeks she was back to her old self, gobbling up her kibble.

We have continued to add a spoonful of the tripe to her kibble 'just because' and our 14 yr old GSDx also loves getting a bit of it, as well.

Tripe smells just awful, which is what makes it so helpful for picky eaters.

We got Lamb Tripe - it is green - as we feed a lamb-based kibble.

You can also get Beef tripe...it is not as green.

Hope this helps.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

thanks, everyone My friend told me about it and says it stinks. LOL

She and another friend actually work pretty closely with a holistic person that has really helped them do wonders with a couple of their dogs that had various health issues.

Guest mcsheltie

My pack all love green tripe,,, and the deyhdrated type too! get my dehydrated product from Walk in the bark site,,, good luck

Do you just buy it at the grocery story and is it canned?

Can't get it at the grocery. It is not approved by the USDA for human consumption (like you'd want to even if it was!) Canned is cooked and looses a lot of the benefits. Buy it raw.

Since you live in CA you can get it through greentripe.com

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

Thanks. Actually, I see it listed on the link Vers sent also.

I'm going to ask my Vet about this.

Doubt your vet will know. Most don't have any education on nutrition, past what they learned in one class sponsored by one of the pet food manufacturers. They certainly did not teach an analysis of green tripe. Most will automatically tell you anything raw is bad.

My vet knows the benefits of a raw diet. She has started feeding it herself. But told me they can not recommend it because of liability issues. A homemade diet (either raw or cooked) formulated for renal disease gives much better results than any of the processed diets.

If you can't / don't want to get raw tripe, you can buy the canned stuff at most pet food stores.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

It's the perfect balance of phosphorus to calcium, 1:1. When I fed it to Romi his kidney symptoms eased tremendously; he'd had it all his life, but once his kidneys started up, I cut out organs and bone and he had raw green tripe almost exclusively. Check out the Dog Aware site, link is above, it has excellent information on kidney issues along with many other issue. Mary has done her research on this topic and knows what she's talking about.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest Swifthounds

Green tripe isn't the most nutritious meaty meat out there, but its balanced calcium phosphorus is good for renal failure dogs. You'll even find people misguidedly feeding the commercial kibbles (about the worst choice for a renal dog) adding tripe.

Edited by Swifthounds

I would definitely recommend buying it from www.greentripe.com. I believe that Mary Voss still owns it and is very familiar with sighthounds as she has raised afghans for at least 25-30 years. When we were purchasing it we ordered from her and she is in your area. On the website there is an article called "No guts, no glory" written by Mary. Well worth reading.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Thank you for all the information. I did pick up a couple of cans of the green tripe at Pet Co today but haven't tried it yet.

I've been communicating with Dr. Dodds this past week. She recommended I feed Eagle Sr., Wellness or Taste of the Wild food. Ranger is such a picky eater. Luckily, one of the pet stores here carry the brands although they are going to stop selling Wellness. They gave me a bunch of samples of the Taste of the Wild and the Natural Choice. I also bought some canned in the Taste of the Wild. Well, Ranger has eaten twice a day for the past 3 or 4 days now. She suggested I also give the Pepcid, 20 mg twice a day and start the BP meds, which I did 3 days ago. Ranger seems much better this week as compared to the last couple of weeks. He still looks thin but what is going in is coming out okay. He does seem to be a bit more gassy but I can deal with that if he is feeling better.

I thought those foods would be too high in protein but Dr. Dodds said the source of the protein makes a difference and, per some of the articles I've read in the links on kidney disease, seems like keeping the phosphorus low and adding calcium is more of a concern. Anyway,for now, he seems no worse and seems to be feeling better.

I still have that sinking feeling something else is going on but keeping fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Sure appreciate the help from the people here.

Oma's Pride distributors also sell ground raw green tripe ...

my friends (who also feed mostly raw) are very greatful that I have almost no sense of smell ... I usually thaw out a 5# container and shred it up (tear it into smaller chunks) and put it in smaller portion containers. Then only one of us has to get her hands dirty, and nobody's admitting whether the smell stays on your hands after washing, though (ok GTers, let me know if I've been duped).

Enjoy!

I gave it to my Dear when he had hermangio sarcoma because he had stopped eating. It worked...

However it smells horrible so don't get any on you. My friend Cheryl, the puppy farm she visited they gave it to some of the puppies with their dinner & while she was visiting, several of the puppies were climbing all over her, licking her hands, face, clothes. She washed her hands & face but when she showed up for dinner with some other owners, trainers...everyone laughed cause they said she smelled like puppy breath & tripe. he he he

Guest mcsheltie

I gave it to my Dear when he had hermangio sarcoma because he had stopped eating. It worked...

However it smells horrible so don't get any on you. My friend Cheryl, the puppy farm she visited they gave it to some of the puppies with their dinner & while she was visiting, several of the puppies were climbing all over her, licking her hands, face, clothes. She washed her hands & face but when she showed up for dinner with some other owners, trainers...everyone laughed cause they said she smelled like puppy breath & tripe. he he he

Lemon juice will take the smell off your hands (I say from lots of experience :repuke )

Guest manawatugal

Green Tripe means it is uncooked. My local petstore sells it finely chopped for dogs and apparently it is very high in probiotics. I collect my ex racing hound on Saturday and plan on feeding it raw mixed with kibble. The NZ product I will be feeding him on is called K9 Naturals, human grade meat either chicken or lamb, blood, bone, tripe, liver, kidney, heart, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, silverbeet, cabbage, whole egg and shell, apples, pears and other seasonal fruit, garlic, cod liver oil (natural preservative). It's the best one I've seen so far and is made here in NZ. You can also buy raw meat but this has everything in it. Quite pricey hence me also using good quality kibble and raw chicken necks thrown in.

I must say I am very excited to be getting our first greyhound and people keep telling me they are very collectable!!....which I can see reading some of your posts people.

Guest Swifthounds

Green Tripe means it is uncooked. My local petstore sells it finely chopped for dogs and apparently it is very high in probiotics. I collect my ex racing hound on Saturday and plan on feeding it raw mixed with kibble. The NZ product I will be feeding him on is called K9 Naturals, human grade meat either chicken or lamb, blood, bone, tripe, liver, kidney, heart, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, silverbeet, cabbage, whole egg and shell, apples, pears and other seasonal fruit, garlic, cod liver oil (natural preservative). It's the best one I've seen so far and is made here in NZ. You can also buy raw meat but this has everything in it. Quite pricey hence me also using good quality kibble and raw chicken necks thrown in.

I must say I am very excited to be getting our first greyhound and people keep telling me they are very collectable!!....which I can see reading some of your posts people.

All of the fruits/veggies are unnecessary, except for the extrusion process. The cod liver oil really makes me scratch my head. It wouldn't be my first choice for a preservative, nor for a dog's diet, especially since the vit A levels can vary so much.

How do prices range for kibble down in NZ? I know my raw feeding friends down there tend to pay more for meat than we do here, but most seemed of the opinion that it wasn't really more than a "good" kibble. Just curious.