Warning... Xylitol Being Added To Drugs

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

Everyone needs to be aware of this - link. Because no vet is able to keep abreast of the constant changes drug manufactures make.

Here is a quote from the article - "Some commercially prepared versions of liquid gabapentin have xylitol in them — and it was one of these very versions my pharmacist was offering."

Yes, it shows up often in formulated-for-humans drugs.

We also need to read labels on OTC things we give our dogs. I was fiber-shopping for Sam today. Because most fiber supplements say "take with 8 oz of water"--and because a dog's digestive tract is horizontal rather than vertical, like ours--I looked for something that was less of a choking hazard: chewable and without a water requirement (Sam drinks plenty of water--just not on command). I found something advertised as "sugar free," which set off all kinds of warnings in my mind. Happily, the label said Sorbitol rather than Xylitol, so I bought it.

But I won't knowingly buy anything with Xylitol--no sugar-free candies or gums in this house--because Sam is notorious for eating things he shouldn't.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have a medicated mouthwash for Raven that turned out to have some saccharin in it. Is that OK? She doesn't get much of it, just some swabbed over her gums with gauze.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I have a medicated mouthwash for Raven that turned out to have some saccharin in it. Is that OK? She doesn't get much of it, just some swabbed over her gums with gauze.

It's in the Biotene my vet recommended and according to him and UC Davis, the amount is not harmful.

I've been using it on the dogs for more than 2 years now

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 2 months later...