I Finally Found The "big D" Solution!

Guest fathermark

Guest fathermark

My boy "Jay" had the "Big D" for the first 4 months of our life together. I tried everything - chicken and rice, beef and rice, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, different foods, etc. Finally, my regular vet returned from maternity leave and prescribed Purina DCO (dual fiber control). It can only be purchased at the vets. I mix one part DCO with 2 parts of his regular kibble. The "Big D" was gone in 24 hours!

Glad it is working for you! Totally am in line with if "it ain't broke don't fix it" but I'd bet Iams is way less expensive and may do you just as well. The ingredients aren't too far off but Iams has meat as the first ingredent and two meat products in the first five.

DCO -

Whole grain corn, dried beet pulp, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, pearled barley

Iams -

Chicken, cornmeal, whole grain sorghum, Chicken by- product meal, dried beet pulp

In both foods the beet pulp is what is doing most of the work by controlling water in the intestines and yours obviously has more (and adds the pea fiber further down for the "dual control"). But by-product meal as the third ingredient just doesn't seem like a good source of protein.

I feel better feeding my dog food with meat as the first ingredient, even if there are byproducts (which aren't always *that* evil) down the label. Everyone has their comfort level and we can all qualify anything. ;)

That said I'd feed the Purina DCO hands down over w/d. When Poodle was diagnosed my vet suggested w/d and I told him that would NEVER EVER happen in my house.

W/d -

Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Mill Run

Now we have mostly corn (not as evil as some make it), toss in some wood fiber or cotton for cellouse as the second ingredient, corn again, chicken liver flavor (this is what REALLY REALLY scares me -- how little by product meal can actually be in there if it is listed fifth after a "flavor" ???? Toss in some soybean mill offal as the next ingredient and what is your dog eating -- cardboard?????

I know that I am the crazy Iams lady but I have seen in work more than once. The DCO is way better than w/d though. At least the by products have crawled up to third place..

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I used one of the Purina Vet formulas for Donner. I called the 800 number and found out where it is sold locally. And then I called the offices and found the cheapest price and asked if I needed a script from my Vet to buy it. I did not. I just went in and gave them the information on the dog I was buying it for and had no problems buying it after that.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****