Crying At Night

Tuffy is 9. He is with us for almost 6 years now.

He sleeps alone in the living room since the begginning.... our bedroom is in the basement and Tuffy does not go down the stairs.

This week-end a friend has stayed in our guest room, near the living room. She tells me Tuffy cries at night. :unsure

Not a big cries, just a little brief whining. It occurs right after my DH and goes to sleep downstairs and also a few time during the night. Tuf wakes up, whines, get up, strech, turn around and lay down to sleep...

We dont ear him from our bebroom.

Tuffy is not a speaker or whiner during the day. Real quite grey...

He eats well (for a picky eater). His arthritis pains are really reduce (medicated) and he walks great now, less stiff then before the pills.

I dont know what to make of this... I did not know if I should put this in health/medical...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

my friend see Tuffy from the bedroom and she says he is laying down but head up...

maybe he is sleeping croocked and his legs hurts and he wakes up... and cries.. after he stretch and go back to sleep...

No panting or walking around whinning...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Why dont you teach him how to walk up and down stairs then he can sleep with you guys and you will know his noises and at the same time, he will be around you guys.

Why dont you teach him how to walk up and down stairs then he can sleep with you guys and you will know his noises and at the same time, he will be around you guys.

sadly it's not possible...

Tuffy is not coordonated at all, never been. He does some stairs, those outside the house (5-6 steps).

The staircasse to the basement is an abrut one, that has a wall at the end, miss a step and you fall down and you finish in it. Even people founds it difficult to step down. Our house was built in the 1930's so it was not design to have rooms in the basement ;)

We had many greys over and no one dared to go down those steps....

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

I've been to Josie's home and her stairs are really steep.

You guys will have to take him in your arms and bring him down..Then the family will all sleep together down stairs.. He might be able to go up alone in the morning ??? ;)

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

I've been to Josie's home and her stairs are really steep.

You guys will have to take him in your arms and bring him down..Then the family will all sleep together down stairs.. He might be able to go up alone in the morning ??? ;)

:lol

I'm not able to bring him down... 91 lbs is heavy ;)

DH did get him down the first week Tuffy was home 6 years ago... but on the 7th night DH back said it was enough...

:(

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Dont sell your boy short. I have seen tri-pods do open-faced wooden stairs, seen hounds to spiral staircases, ect. It will take time, but it is possible, unless there is a medical reason like a spine problem that prohibits his rear end from working. My last adoption that I just did sounds like it has stairs like you mention, a 90 degree turn at the bottom and again at the top, with shiny slippery wood steps all the way (10 between the 4 stairs that make up the 90 degree bend). Was the pup VERY scared to go up and down, you bet. After working with her for about 10 minutes, she would go up and down with assistance. If you are worried about how to work him up and down, I can give you help on how to train him to go up and down.

Chad

I used to think Lila was whining in her bed. It was actually a squeaky yawn and sigh. I had to be watching her to see the yawn and know it was not a whine.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I wouldn't worry about it. George makes all KINDS of noise in his sleep. Sleeps with his eyes open. Wags his tail madly without ever waking up. Barks. Yips. He is WAY noisier asleep than he is awake!

He may well be whining and thinking, "Dang! I wish I could get down there!" but if he won't do it, he won't!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

thanks Susan :)

it just worried me that maybe he is in pain... but like I said he does not do that during the day...

maybe he wants to get the attention of my friend and if he looks pitifull enough he thinks he will get cookies.. :lol

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne is like George, she's much noisier asleep than when she's awake. She'll yip, whine, growl and breath erratically when she's dreaming. She will, however, put up a real howly fuss when she wants to go outside (rare).

Tuffy's whining might have had something to do with your friend being in the other room.

What meds are you giving him for pain? Onyx had arthritis and vocalized more at night when he was lying down than any other time of day. Like you, I couldn't tell if it meant he was in pain or something else. We tried different meds without much change. Then we added Tramadol and the noise stopped. He was moaning though, not crying.

Hope this helps.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest avadogner

My 11 yr old Ava is no longer able to climb stairs and sometimes cries at night. I put the Living room (where her bed is) Tv on the cable music channel that is relaxing music and set the volume low. It seems to comfort her and gives her white noise like our fan in the bedroom. We live on a busy street so the fan always drowned out the cars and our neighbors yappy dogs. I didn't realize that not being in our bedroom at night means she hears those noises. Just a thought and I hope your sweet baby is adjusting well.

-ava and augie's mum

It is possible he is doing this cause there is someone in the guest room as apposed to a medical reason. It would be interesting if you could set up a webcam after your company is gone.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Mooogies

My little girl whines (a little cry) every night as soon as she gets into bed with me. I don't know why she does it, she just does it. I snuggle her, pet her, cover her with her blankie, give her ear scritchies and eventually she falls asleep. When I ask her (yes I ask her :) "why are you crying"? she just gives her little cry/whine. I know she's not in any pain or discomfort I think that's just what she does every night. That's the only time she ever does it.