Flying A Hound To St. Thomas

Guest spartanswimmer

Guest spartanswimmer

Hello,

I am researching a move to St. Thomas. The only thing holding me back is my greyhound, who is my world. I am not sure where I read this, but somehow I have gotten it in my mind that greyhounds can die while flying. Is there any truth to this? I have never had to fly a greyhound before. Does anyone have any advice, i.e. what airline, what type of cost I'll be looking at, what to do to make it easy on my dog? I have researched and there is no quarantine with moving pets to St. Thomas. Another concern I have is finding a vet there who is familiar with greyhounds, and being able to find a good, healthy dog food for her. Any advice anyone has is much appreciated. Thanks!

My Diamond flew from Fla to NJ when I got her 8 yrs ago. While she did not die, she did escape her crate when it broke (so make sure her travel crate has the screws not ties to hold the top and bottom together.

Her plane arrived at Terminal B at Newark International Airport. She was found at Terminal C.

But if it weren't for her crate breaking, she would have been fine.

Why not look into that Pet airways that is strickly for pet travel.

One should take precautions when flying their pet - time of year, time of day, etc. But a good friend of mine flew her greyhound to the Philippines and Dyno was treated like a god the entire way. He will be flown back in two months.

And many people have shipped their dogs to Europe and back.

Guest lizmego

I'm thinking there was a Celebrating Greyhounds article about a couple moving to one of the US Virgin Islands or somewhere south...let me dig some more.

Guest K9Cookies

I'm thinking there was a Celebrating Greyhounds article about a couple moving to one of the US Virgin Islands or somewhere south...let me dig some more.

That article popped into my mind too when I read this. Many people have flown their hounds places. Do your research and use caution, but you should be fine. :)

Welcome to GreyTalk! :welcome

My Diamond flew from Fla to NJ when I got her 8 yrs ago. While she did not die, she did escape her crate when it broke (so make sure her travel crate has the screws not ties to hold the top and bottom together.

Several airlines now require screws instead of ties so Diamond probably wasn't the only one....

Many greyhounds came into the US a couple of years ago from Guam, which I believe is a much longer flight than to St. Thomas and they all got here alive. I've sent a handful of greys on planes and they have all been fine. Just try to make it a non stop and in temperate weather unless your carrier has dedicated resources to keeping pets safe.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I flew my first greyhound and my IG to Hawaii from the east coast on a non-stop flight. It was definitely stressful for both dogs and humans, but they did not die. I think in general flying pets has a bad reputation, but is safe. However, it not something I recommend unless absolutely necessary, b/c it is stressful for a sensitive breed like a greyhound. I used Continental and was very pleased with their service, and have heard others say the same.

Each airline has strict guidelines as to transporting pets. Check with the airline you plan to use. Some airlines are starting to refuse to transport pets. More cats pass away in transport than dogs. We have successfully flown pets several times with no problems at all. As for the cost, flying from Memphis, accompanied by a ticketed passenger, to Seattle was only $100.00. If the pet goes with a ticketed passenger, the cost is a lot less.

If statistics are your thing, here is a list of airlines and incidents for the last half of last year. You will see that the incidents of death is very low. It also doesn't say whether it was dogs, cats, birds or any other animal involved in the incidents.

LINK

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest spartanswimmer

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions/advice. I have a lot of research ahead of me but feel much better! I hate to put her through a stressful situation, but (selfishly) would rather do that then leave her with family or friends when I move. It looks like United offers the most flights from NC (where I live) to St. Thomas, so I will have to look into their policy. Thanks!

Anyone have any suggestions of finding a good vet down there? I've researched greyhound adoption in the Virgin Islands in hopes that I could contact them and get some suggestions, but can't find a group. I know it's important to find a vet that is familiar with greyhounds, and that is on my to-do list as well. Thanks!

Guest lizmego

For a greyhound-experienced vet, you might just have to educate them yourself. Or you can always ask the vets in the practice where they went to vet school and if they had greyhounds that they had clinics with?

For a greyhound-experienced vet, you might just have to educate them yourself. Or you can always ask the vets in the practice where they went to vet school and if they had greyhounds that they had clinics with?

I agree with this. I have the only greys my vet has ever had in his practice and he takes very good care of them. If anything comes up that is greyhound specific (which is VERY rare) he will look into any info I give him and will also consult with other grey savvy vets if he needs to.

Dogs of all breeds are flown, routinely, all over the world. However, ANY animal can suffer an accidental death--but Greyhounds are no more prone to that than any other dog.

Your best bet is to research airlines, etc. on the internet (Google is your friend).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think I recently read a post here about a grey flying in the cabin over the holidays because she's a therapy dog. I was surprised to see that and maybe they mean a service dog, but worth looking into becoming a therapy dog if it can get her in the cabin.

I think I recently read a post here about a grey flying in the cabin over the holidays because she's a therapy dog. I was surprised to see that and maybe they mean a service dog, but worth looking into becoming a therapy dog if it can get her in the cabin.

May not be the same person you're thinking of, but my friend flew with her greyhound as a therapy dog in the cabin, to Dewey one year. :) She's a small greyhound though - it may not have worked as well with a big male. And you'd have to get a doctor to verify that the dog is needed for therapy.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire