Choking On Nutro Pellets

Guest JJGrey

I recently switched my 3.5 year old boy to nutro high enery and am very pleased with the results. However, he nestly chokes to death on the pellets everytime he eats. Has anyone else had this experience and if so what did you Do? Its so bad that I'm aafraid to leave thd room when he's eating. I thought it might get better as he got used to the new food but its been a month. Literally everytime he eats he has to hack the pellets up that get caught in his throat and they turn into projectiles across the kitchen. Sorry if that's too graphic but I'm sure you can understand how stressful mealtimes have become. Thanks in advance

Add some water to his food. I was having this problem with Bella - she gets 1 1/2 cups of kibble, and I add about a cup of water just before serving. It allows her to basically lap up her kibble without choking. I don't let it sit long enough to get soft, though.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I add water here too to all kibble, it slows them down jsut enough as they practically inhale it! Another suggestion i've seen is putting 1-2 plastic balls (tennis ball size) that they have to work around and that slows them down. In a pinch you can take a small dish and turn it upside down in teh bowl to make them work around it to.

Guest kelli123

maybe pout the food with water in a muffin pan or one of these bowls to slow him down.31K2%2Boei0nL._AA115_.jpgif the case is he is eating to fast, This helped my girl that in hales every meal

My Frosty does that too. When I add water, she just laps it up, no problem. She does get a little disappointed that she can't find any food on the floor afterward.

Ha! Jay Jay loves finding his projectiles on the kitchen floor Too!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I won't feed Nutro- they have had too many quality control issues. In fact, they were under investigation by the FDA in 2009 after 2 years and thousands of complaints against the company. My own dog got very sick on their food. He was vomiting bile every day until we switched to another brand.

Nutro's track record just doesn't impress me...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/04/nutro_foia.html

If you don't want to wet the kibble you can put it on a cookie sheet and make him chase the pieces around the sheet. That'll slow him down.

Another suggestion is to put the kibble in a small fleece blanket, roll it up, and give the blanket to the dog. He's got to unwind the blanket and hunt to find his kibble--has to work for his dinner. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)