A Year Ago Today, Ace Broke Through To The Other Side

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

An emaciated nine-year-old brindle greyhound named Ace was surrendered to the kennel. One look at him and it broke your heart. He was quite literally a walking skeleton, but his spirit was very much alive and strong. We couldn’t let him live his last days in a kennel after being in a home for many years. We brought him home.

Ace was such a sweetheart and a complete gentleman. Whenever he laid down, he always crossed his legs, it was the cutest thing. Ace almost looked like a statue, he would have his legs crossed, sitting up so tall and regally. He would lay on the couch, with his head propped up on the backrest and just watch everybody. My sister and I kept calling him a reindeer because he was so long legged and moved so gracefully.

A week after we brought him home, Ace went downhill and fast, despite our desperate efforts. His body was done fighting and on Jaunary 7th, you could see in his eyes that he was done fighting too. We decided to let him out of his misery. On the way to the vet to set him free from his pain, a song came on the radio that let us know we were making the right decision. It was The Doors, Break On Through. It made us feel stronger, that we weren’t giving up on him. He was going to “the other side” and be pain free, have a young healthy body again.

That night I was devastated, and was crying in my room, wanting to be alone for awhile. I tried so hard to save him, I felt like a failure. Out of nowhere, my golden Caesar pushed my door open with his nose and walks over to me with something in his mouth. He dropped it in my hands and it was something I had never seen before, I still don’t know where he got it. It was a pez toy, of a reindeer. I knew it was Ace telling me he is ok and that he is still here, just in a different way.

I just wish I had more time with you, sweet Ace. I love you and still think of you all the time. And thank you, for sending Doolin my way...I know that was you and my grandmother working together, he reminded me of you the second I laid eyes on him. :beatheart

:gh_run

The night we met him:

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6587-1.jpg

At home:

IMG_6678-1.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_6680-2.jpg

What a beautiful boy.

Ace, you are missed and loved forever.

Rest in peace on the other side, sweetie.

:f_red:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

That is a heartbreaking story but you gave him what he remembered most, love. Whether it's a week, a month, a year or a life time, they are forever grateful.

Ace, you were a beauty.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So handsome. I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer with you in body, but clearly he is with you in spirit every day.

Rest well, gentleman Ace.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's really nice, Brie. You are such a gift to the greyhound world and all who pass through your house are forever grateful, even if it is for a short time. I'm glad Ace got to know the kindness he so deserved.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road