Severe Seperation Anxiety

Last Thursday when Elvis went home I got Barkley from Lubbock.

He is my relative's dog. About 4 or 5 months ago she and Scotty's dad broke up and they moved in with her longtime girlfriend who wouldn't allow their 3 dogs. She left the three dogs alone in the house all those months going by to feed and let them out 3 times a day. I don't think I want to know what the house looks like but know that all the carpet has been ripped out and that every piece of furniture was destroyed and has been hauled to the dump. For the last two or three weeks the dogs have been staying with the ex's grown daughter from his first marriage but Barkley did not play well with others so he was living outside.

ANYWAY -- Barkley is a very sweet dog, knows the dog door, is perfectly housebroken and has messed with nothing in the house -- except the door to the garage. He has clawed up the frame and paint off the corner of the door and honestly bent out about 6 inches of the bottom of the metal door which is kind of sharp and worries me. I beat it back in last night and he tore it up again today. I asked her about crating him and evidently she tried that and he got the crate partly open and hurt himself so I am hesitant to crate him.

He doesn't mess with anything except that corner of the door so I think he is trying to get to me as it is the one I leave through. Maybe a kickplate would cover the door damage, but wouldn't solve the frame problem or the underlying issue.

These have honestly been five really bad days for me since he came. I worked a doubles on Friday and Sunday so those were 12 hour days -- Saturday was a very long single shift day as was today as I had to go to another store and borrow things for my boss after I got off and that took well over an hour.

I am off tomorrow and can work on starting some serious alone training. Do you think he'll calm down when he figures out I really am coming back? What can I do to keep him from hurting himself on the door? A friend has a call in to a trainer. I've had lots of problem dogs come through, but I've never exactly had one eat a metal door...I'm just stumped. Can't blame him for having issues, poor guy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I could get one but one of my rescue peeps and I were saying if he's eating a metal door, there probably isn't a lot of hope for whatever I put in between :blush .... :dunno if I should spend the $$ to get one.

He seems to have TOTALLY crashed out in the last couple of hours. Maybe it is wishful thinking in my mind but he has sort of been on high alert since Thursday and maybe he has just worn himself out. Then if am around tomorrow and the day Wednesday maybe we'll get somewhere as far as him feeling OK with me leaving if we work on it.

Could you maybe start him on some melatonin? Might help calm him a bit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor Barkley has really been through it lately. What a lucky pup to have landed at Camp Pam!!!! I second Ducky's suggestion of melatonin. It has dramatically helped my friend's crazy wein who can destroy a Midwest crate in 15 minutes.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Keeping fingers crossed he settles down.

If you need to protect the door, easiest would be to bolt a panel of 1/4" Lexan onto the door. Lexan is pricey but a piece the size you'd need would be cheaper than an ex-pen.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Either the melotonin or him figuring out that I'm coming back seems to be working. I quit beating the door back and am living with the one frayed blind. No further damage in the last week. he and Poodle are having a grand time. I guess in the last 9 years Poodle has never had anyone just his size to play with. They were running thru the house like banshees today and having a grand old time. Am leaving the door and blind for now. His snip appointment is on the 24th.

Love hearing good news :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.