Super Shy Foster Dog

Guest shannon252

Guest shannon252

We have a puppy shy little girlie that is giving her foster home fits. The foster parents have tried all the advice we had in our bag of tricks but, still isn't having great luck getting the 1 1/2 year old to come in out of the yard.

So, I'm wondering what methods you guys have used that have worked?

Shannon Henson

MoKan Greyhound Adoption

www.mokangreyhounds.org

I think I'd leash walk in the yard until she got used to being there. I've seen some so shy in the turn out pens that trainer's have had to chase them down. I would imagine a yard would be 10 times as hard as the yard is a lot bigger.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest shannon252

I agree and I believe that is the plan moving forward but, she's in the yard right now and won't follow their other dog in. She just got there yesterday and apparently it took three turn outs to convince the foster home that the leash was the way to go. We've ordered a 20 foot lead for them so they can let her drag it and still get close enough to get her but, it will take a few days to arrive. I'm hearing from our vet and her previous foster home that she has an EXTREMELY shy bladder and won't go when people are so close (you know, 6 foot leash close).

I think this will be a character building experience for the Greyhound-experienced foster home. ;)

Guest shannon252

Thanks Sambuca! The open door didn't work. Apparently she will play chase with the foster parents (dog chasing them, not vice versa) but, when they go through the door she comes to a screeching halt. There is a rug on the floor so, the slick floor shouldn't be the problem. Inside the house (once they get her in) she is doing really well so, that's the good news. We have seen so many of these really young, shy girls this year but, we haven't really had this specific problem. Mostly they WANT to be in the house.

Oh, and a trail of hamburger into the house didn't work either. :) For those of you who might find this funny, the puppy's name is Shelley Bunch.

I have the same problem with my spook Cash. She's been leash walked almost since she got here as she won't come inside. I just don't have the time to wait and watch her four hours (her record) every time. She's the first dog I've ever had that wouldn't at least follow another dog into the house.

They also might try fencing off a smaller part of the yard for her turnouts if she needs to be off leash for her shy bladder.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Fence off a small section, take the dog on leash to it, then leave her there to do business for a bit. This could even be done with an xpen or two.

When Madi first got here she was very, very shy like that. My yard was small tho so I muzzled her and another more confident dog of mine (Isis) and sent them out together. After about two to three days Madi followed Isis everywhere. But, if any of my other hooligans went out we had to go back to square one as they scared her a lot. Does the foster home have a more mature, trustworthy dog that could take the lead?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

We had this same problem with our shy girl, Faye, when we brought her home four years ago. For awhile (about two weeks) I had to take her out on a 20 foot leash and reel her into the house after she'd done her business. After about that long, she got so if I opened the door, stood way back, and the other dogs came in ahead of her, she'd run in quickly.

Good luck! These shy pups have always tugged at my heart.

Pat

Guest shannon252

Thank you so much to everyone for the support! She is finally back inside the house and I had a long talk with the foster home about rigging a long lead until theirs arrives. We also have a Majestic harness on the way for her. The foster home has another dog but, he's a little socially backwards so perhaps not the confident leader she needs. She lives in a small town about two hours from our base but, I travel next week and may be sending one of my crackpots out there to help out. ;)

The foster home is so funny because they've had a lot of dogs but, never anything like this. These dogs are probably the biggest (and maybe best) learning experience you can have. Definitely a character building experience.

Thank you so much to everyone for the support! She is finally back inside the house and I had a long talk with the foster home about rigging a long lead until theirs arrives. We also have a Majestic harness on the way for her. The foster home has another dog but, he's a little socially backwards so perhaps not the confident leader she needs. She lives in a small town about two hours from our base but, I travel next week and may be sending one of my crackpots out there to help out. ;)

The foster home is so funny because they've had a lot of dogs but, never anything like this. These dogs are probably the biggest (and maybe best) learning experience you can have. Definitely a character building experience.

The foster is going to learn so much from this dog and the dog will build her confidence from this foster. I personally really love working with a very shy dog. It's very rewarding when you see that they finally trust you :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I think I'd leash walk in the yard until she got used to being there. I've seen some so shy in the turn out pens that trainer's have had to chase them down. I would imagine a yard would be 10 times as hard as the yard is a lot bigger.

We have a winner!

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest gr8hound47

Keeping her on a long line when she goes out or fencing off an area to take her to are great ideas. Making coming in a great thing, lots praise, best treats so she associates the best rewards with coming in. Going out boring, do your job and comeing in reaps the best rewards. Good luck

Guest ChasesMum

I wonder if she got scared by a door in the past (like it swung shut in the wind or something??) and its wigging her out? Not that nuch can be done about replacing a door :P

sweet thing..hope she relaxes soon!

Guest LindsaySF

Fence off a small section, take the dog on leash to it, then leave her there to do business for a bit. This could even be done with an xpen or two.

:nod

Guest shannon252

So the foster home was having a few bad days and were about ready to give up and ask me to move her when, she followed their dog in through the dog door today for the very first time. It's huge!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shannon252

Hey! Guess what happened yesterday! Shelley came in through the dog door, all by herself, without her long leash on. It was the very first time!!! Yay Shelley Bunch!

Guest TBSFlame

Hey! Guess what happened yesterday! Shelley came in through the dog door, all by herself, without her long leash on. It was the very first time!!! Yay Shelley Bunch!

WTG Shelley Bunch!!! Good job foster home!!!

We had the same issue with our shy foster. I ended up leaving him out (with the door to the house open) until he was exhausted and he finally follwed Tractor in the house. He wouldn't come in if we were standing anywhere near the doorway. Of course, this is the same dog that spent the first month cowering in a corner of the bedroom.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

We fostered our male because he was soo shy he couldn"t even be seen by anyone at the kennel

of course he stayed. This was a big problem for us when we got him and can still continue to be a challenge if

decides he wants to stay out.

We tried a gazzilion things.. here's what we found....first MOST times he will come with the pack now. On his own still takes tiime after

he's been here years.

second... the only thing that got him moving in the right direction was pointing to the door and saying" in" all while walking towards him.

In the begining it took time to wear him down and he would circle and bark like it was play time and drive me out of my mind. But i didnt call his name

and didnt get mad, just kept moving towards him and pointing. When he finally got the idea it stuck. NOW if he is stubborn and wont come when called

all I have to do is go out on the deck and start towards him and he hauls up to me.

This is big for him considering just how emtionally challenged he is.

deb