They Said Arthritis?

Guest luvdogs

Guest luvdogs

Argh. Just got his diet under control and he has stopped having explosive diaherria and he is wearing a belly band for marking and now...he keeps going outside and hiding, he is only 4 years old! He is starting to scare me. He came to us with a limp going on 2 years now, 4 year old male, and he has been limping a bit more than usual lately. When he went for his routine check up 6 months ago, we were told it was likely arthritis, so we give him the odd aspirin as advised by the vet when he seems to be sore. Over the weekend, he seemed worse than usual, he goes out and hides at the very far corner of the yard and wont' come when he is called. He is starting to scare me, does he do this because he thinks he is dying? Anyone have any similar issues? I will see about getting him into the vet tomorrow. Advice or similar situations if you have them, thanks! :(

We had similar lameness (and some insecurity but not hiding) for a few years, told it was probably arthritis, though there was disagreement about that. Recently his hips got skewed, one side higher than the other, which led to x-rays and an MRI. Seems he probably had an old injury, like a hairline fracture of the pelvis. While it is healed, the "wear and tear" of continued racing and life led to other problems. Now he's starting rehab -- today, in fact. Without going into more detail than you need, I would suspect that your dog has some hidden pain that's making him feel really vulnerable, and it sounds like more than arthritis. So I'd start with x-rays and an ortho, rehab, or neuro vet who isn't going to just say it's "probably arthritis" and not look further.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

If it's arthritis, why not use joint supplements first rather than aspirin? Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, boswellia, vitamin C are all good joint protectors & anti-inflammatories & can be taken continuously rather than sporadicly. I agree a vet visit is in order. Doesn't sound like arthritis though it does sound like pain.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

If it's arthritis, why not use joint supplements first rather than aspirin? Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, boswellia, vitamin C are all good joint protectors & anti-inflammatories & can be taken continuously rather than sporadicly. I agree a vet visit is in order. Doesn't sound like arthritis though it does sound like pain.

I wondered about the aspirin, too. I find glucosamine/chondroitin combination tablets are a great help. I used those tablets on my old guy (I adopted him at 10 years of age and he came with hip dysplasia and arthritis, both hips)and it made a difference. He also had to get daily Metacam doses but he was pretty severe.

I have Summer on the same tablets as she has a "click" in one of her joints. I only hear it when she's going up the stairs but I want to delay (or prevent) the arthritis.

If the vet does an x-ray, arthritis would show up. I have never heard of it being a difficult diagnosis.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Swifthounds

I wondered about the aspirin, too. I find glucosamine/chondroitin combination tablets are a great help. I used those tablets on my old guy (I adopted him at 10 years of age and he came with hip dysplasia and arthritis, both hips)and it made a difference. He also had to get daily Metacam doses but he was pretty severe.

I have Summer on the same tablets as she has a "click" in one of her joints. I only hear it when she's going up the stairs but I want to delay (or prevent) the arthritis.

If the vet does an x-ray, arthritis would show up. I have never heard of it being a difficult diagnosis.

:nod Though, I would never say that an x-ray will show arthritis if it's there. Arthritis doesn't show on an x-ray unless/until it's pretty significant/advanced. Thus, there can be evidence in an x-ray that confirms the diagnosis of arthritis, but x-rays cannot exclude arthritis. The easiest way to know for sure is to add in a good quality Glucosamine HCL (I like the Greyhound Gang's products) 3000mgs/day for the first few weeaks and then to a maintenance dose of 1,500 mgs/day thereafter and pay close attention to the dog. Very few greyhounds age 3+ won't show improvement.

Glucosamine is going to be a very slow fix, even if it works. A couple months is a long time to be hiding in corners of the yard. And that just sounds like more than arthritis to me.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I agree with others, a vet visit is in order and make sure to explain everything that has been going on. Something is obviously wrong and if an x-ray doesn't show anything, it at least starts the process of elimination.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sounds like he is in pain, poor guy. Is there a step he has to come up to get into the house? Maybe he's hiding because it's painful for him to get back in? My mom's dog has hip issues and she runs to the edge of the yard and refuses to come in on days when she's having pain, because the little jump up to the patio hurts her, so she tries to avoid it.

I would make a vet appointment and insist on an X-ray to start. If it's normal, I'd get a tick panel. Whatever it is, though, it sounds like he might need something more than aspirin for short-term pain relief.

Hugs to you and your boy.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest Swifthounds

Glucosamine is going to be a very slow fix, even if it works. A couple months is a long time to be hiding in corners of the yard. And that just sounds like more than arthritis to me.

Actually, that's a textbook reaction to pain. Sure, you can "fix" a painful condition by tossing an NSAID at it and feel it's cured, but it's a dog, not a car. Medicating for pain without treating the underlying condition or improving overall health and mobility is like slapping paint on a rusted car - it just masks the issue. A dog as young as the OP's dog, if placed on an NSAID regimen for the remainder of it's years, will almost certainly experience side effects and a decreased life span.

Lameness unrelated to an injury warrants an x-ray and a Lyme test to start. Joint supplements won't hurt and will likely help (the adult greyhound with no arthritic changes or decreased range of motion is rare indeed).

Actually, that's a textbook reaction to pain. Sure, you can "fix" a painful condition by tossing an NSAID at it and feel it's cured, but it's a dog, not a car. Medicating for pain without treating the underlying condition or improving overall health and mobility is like slapping paint on a rusted car - it just masks the issue. A dog as young as the OP's dog, if placed on an NSAID regimen for the remainder of it's years, will almost certainly experience side effects and a decreased life span.

Lameness unrelated to an injury warrants an x-ray and a Lyme test to start. Joint supplements won't hurt and will likely help (the adult greyhound with no arthritic changes or decreased range of motion is rare indeed).

Did you think I meant she should use an NSAID instead of glucosamine. I didn't. I don't think either of those is sufficient, especially without a good diagnosis.

Guest Swifthounds

Did you think I meant she should use an NSAID instead of glucosamine. I didn't. I don't think either of those is sufficient, especially without a good diagnosis.

I didn't give any particular thought to what you meant. I was simply trying to help the OP.

I would want x-rays, a lyme test, and a good exam for range of motion. The last of which is almost impossible to get from a general vet. You'd be amazed what vets just call arthritis or something else when something obvious like lyme doesn't show up. Most often with greyhounds, it's a retirement causing injury or a re-injury that causes the issue and there are ways of detecting them and treating, but you need someone with more training an experience in greyhound physiology than most vets. That said, it's very rare for an adult greyhound to not have the beginnings of arthritis/joint issues by three or four, and it's a rare thing for a greyhound at that age to NOT improve with good quality supplementation. Some people don't do it because of cost (They think they need Cosequin or Dasequin, etc. - big $$ and low quality), but lots of people don't do it because it hasn't been suggested. Supplementation alone might not relieve this particular problem, but it won't hurt and will improve overall locomotion. The healthier the dog is overall, the better job the body does in dealing with injuries, old and new.

as long as you are only administering one asprin a day and remember it can not be coated, there shouldn't be any problems. my vet starts w/ asprins before he ventures into more expensive drugs. i do agree w/ everyone that checking for a tick borne disease or xrays are in order. hoping for a speedy and not exciting investigation.

I didn't give any particular thought to what you meant. I was simply trying to help the OP.

Seems odd, since you quoted me. It must just not understand your ways.

Any update?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hiding in the back of the yard isn't arthritis. He's either in severe pain or he's frightened. Whereabouts do you live (what's the weather like)? How do you eventually get him in the house, and what does he do when he comes in?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.