Somthing Is Wrong With Marley

Guest greysonly

Guest greysonly

I am a worried mommy Marley keeps stretching. Like bowing. Then he is panting. I have been rubbing him by his neck and he seems to like that? I gave him some pain med that I had for Jazzy. Has anyones Grey done this before? Keep bowing. I am so worried. He keeps grumbling too. He ate his breakfast this morning tho.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything unusual in the vomit, or just food?

Can you check his gums? They want to be nice and pink; if you press, the whitish spot left by your finger pressure should very quickly turn pink again; and they should be nice and slippery, not gluey or tacky or dry. If gums are whitish or the finger-pressure spot doesn't turn pink quickly, time to go to the vet.

What med was he given? Some of those can upset the stomach further. Might be a good idea to give a pepcid (10mg famotidine) or pepto bismol gelcap to help cushion that.

If he continues vomiting or continues to be uncomfortable, I'd get him to the vet. Fingers crossed he just has an upset tummy and will be fine in a few hours.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If it was me, I'd probably take him to a vet. Are any open today?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

It could just be gas and he is uncomfortable and the reason for the stretching/bowing

and I agree with Batmom, some meds can upset the tummy.

Keep an eye on his tummy, if you start to notice any sort of distention of the stomach, head to the vet ASAP.

Is he drinking lots of water? throwing up more?

Those are all signs of bloat along with a distended stomach, being uncomfortable, throwing up.

It could just be gas and he is uncomfortable and the reason for the stretching/bowing

Keep an eye on his tummy, if you start to notice any sort of distention of the stomach, head to the vet ASAP.

Those are all signs of bloat along with a distended stomach, being uncomfortable, throwing up.

Agreed on this course of action. Could just be stomach upset and by him throwing up his breakfast, he may be fine. Also it could be symptoms of bloat which means a vet visit quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greysonly

If it was me, I'd probably take him to a vet. Are any open today?

No unfortunily not I live in a rural area. His gums are nice and pink and he seems to be feeling better now that he threw up? I will give him some Pepto and see it that helps too. I compared his gums to Myles my young little heathy grey and they are the same.

He isn't drinking water a lot. He jumped on my bed and is laying down now so I think he is feeling better since he jumped up there. I hope it is nothing but some tummy upset.

I gave him tramadol. So maybe that upset his tummy more :unsure

Guest greysonly

Sorry don't mean to sound stupid but what does distention mean?

oh and there was only food in his throw up along with the pill i gave him.

Enlargement. In a sighthound, you might not see distension/enlargement in the tuck area but rather in the ribcage. Dog's ribcage getting bigger / looking weird, need a vet asap.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

Tramadol probably isn't going to cause tummy upset, though it can disorient slightly, which can have the same end result (vomiting).

I would keep a close eye and do some Pepcid or Slippery elm bark, or both. I'm not a fan of the Pepto simply because I don't like putting anything in the aspirin family into a dog I don't know for sure doesn't have a bleed.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

distended stomach means bloated stomach.

When dogs bloat and then in turn twist a gut, their stomach will start to blow up like a balloon.

It will actually blow up right before your eyes.

Guest greysonly

distended stomach means bloated stomach.

When dogs bloat and then in turn twist a gut, their stomach will start to blow up like a balloon.

It will actually blow up right before your eyes.

oh ok thanks. His belly looks normal. He was doing this stretching before he ate anything this morning. I only had pepto so I gave him some of that.

Thank you everyone for the information. I am feeling a little better now that he is resting. Do dogs get stomach bugs like we do? I had a stomach bug last week myself?

They can get stomach bugs or eat something that doesn't agree in a big way, without getting a blockage. But, they can get bloat/blockage as well, which is why you want to keep a close eye on him.

Guest HookemsMom

Bowing in dogs is sometimes caused by pancriatitis (sp). I would definatley check with the vet, even give Evet a call see what they say. Was he indulging in any nice rich foods?

I am a worried mommy Marley keeps stretching. Like bowing. Then he is panting. I have been rubbing him by his neck and he seems to like that? I gave him some pain med that I had for Jazzy. Has anyones Grey done this before? Keep bowing. I am so worried. He keeps grumbling too. He ate his breakfast this morning tho.

Hi,

After reading this thread, I have to ask,

What is BOWING ?

Oscer

Hi,

After reading this thread, I have to ask,

What is BOWING ?

Oscer

Front feet/legs extended and down while rear end is up in the end. Play bowing is one thing, bowing to stretch and relieve abdomen gas is a cause for concern. Repeated bowing/stretching and not being able to lay down comfortably are red flags for bloat.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just a thought,

With the winter months, is Marley, getting enough exersize?

Could it not be a sign of being restless and board ?

Reason I ask, is you said Marley is eating ok.

O

Oscer...This is a 'play bow'

:gh_bow

Agree...

if he does not want to eat and/or throws up again...even if it only water... he needs to see a vet ASAP

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg