I Screwed Up...

No more than @ 2 hours. Best to take the wrap off altogether for that time. If it doesn't go down, could be infection rather than circulatory.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No personal experience with dogs (only horses) but I would give it a day or so. Why is it being wrapped? Any chance he can walk around on it. Circulation should help it go down quicker. (((HUGS))) for the Mama! ;) We've all done it don't feel too bad!

------

Jessica

Guest barkdogs

ditto on leaving the wrap off for a bit--also if you massage the toes and other non painful parts of the limb that helps too.

I've done it too--it's easy to misjudge!

I did massage when I took it off. The wrap is very loose now. I need to keep something on it to prevent him from scraping it open again. I am still buried under three feet of snow so I have to prevent a need to get to the vet. I hope the plow guy shows up today. I am on a dirt road and it is two tenths of a mile to the paved road... All under three feet of snow.

Agree with all that was said. Also think, as long as it doesn't irritate the cut, that you need to have him move around a bit. I know with the snow that might be hard - but even around the house. I always think that movement is the best way to get circulation going naturally.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

That happened to us a few years back with Brandy. Our vet wrapped her foot and it swelled up. When I called them about it, I was told to massage the swelling upward and loosen the bandage. I hope he will be ok. Do you have a boot or sock you can use?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Irene, the sock is on now with loose vet wrap holding it up. He just came in from outside and I started to panic when I looked at him and saw a large patch of red on the FRONT of the foot. The original injury is underneath. As I started to brush the snow off him I realized that I had been looking at the red vet wrap.

Still no word from the plow guy. Kind of a scary feeling being trapped.

You've been given some good advice. Jake has given me lots of experience with leg injuries and the resulting swelling.

Getting him to move around is good, it keeps the circulation going and flushes the tissue. The other things I do is when he is laying down, prop his foot up so the fluid drains up not down. Soaking in epsom salt and warm water will pull the toxins etc out of his tissue. If he won't put his leg into a jug to do this (Jake won't) just soak a towel and wrap that around. I put this over the wound as well, it helps reduce the risk of infection and promotes healing.

Red vet wrap panic? Been there, done that I never buy red vet wrap and ask the vet techs not to use it. I laughed once when a vet said "bring him back if the bleeding starts again." I looked at his leg and said "how will I know that?" the bet looked down and was quiet then got this oh duh! expression on his face. They then covered the wrap with white gauze. :lol

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I agree with no red for vet wrap, but ran out and needed more for one of the horses. Walmart is closer than any feed stores and much cheaper for stuff like that. Red was all they had.

Found some green in the barn last week and made a mental note that it was there. No way to get to where is is right now with three feet of snow. I'm still hoping the plow guy comes. He promised that he could get to me on Wednesday. In the past I have used a guy with a bobcat. Much better job around the property... Could get to all sheds and could open all animal gates. The snow on my dirt road is too deep right now to get the trailer for the bobcat off the narrow plowed lane on the paved road so I will start with the plow and see what happens. I want to be able to get out if needed . I'm hoping with daytime temps above freezing the melting will help where the plow can't reach. Suds did promise not to hurt himself anymore... at least till there is a way to get him to the vet!