Zali Is Making It Impossible To Watch Tv

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Zali will jump and bark at the tv anytime an animal is on - especially dogs. She will jump off the couch and charge at the tv barking and jumping on the cabinet. She is super friendly to any dog she meets so I don't know what is going through her head. I admit it is funny the first few times she does it, but when you are watching trying to watch a movie and she is doing it 20 minutes into it, the humor wears off.

I have tried squirting her with water but it doesn't work.

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

Oh my, sorry I think that's adorable!:lol I'm not the one trying to watch the tv though! I've never dealt with that one before. Don't watch anything with animals in it?:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

wasn't there a cesar milan episode w/ a dog that went bonkers when ever his show aired? maybe you can find it and try some of his tricks, it worked for them! .......or maybe she is trying to tell you she wants a new friend? your pick! gotta love that puppy!:wacko::wacko:

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest Lovey_Hounds

she is so cute! it might not be as funny if it was me watching T.V, of course chili trys to walk on the back of the sofa while im sitting on it and falls on me every time that can be just as annoying.

Opposite problem here. Since Santa brought in the new Big Screen, sppooky boy won't come in the den. He did the same when the old fridge (white) was changed out for a bigger black fridge. I had to feed in the dining room for a week.A trail of sliced turkey up to the new fridge changed his mind

Guest kelli123

Oh my Zali is so Friggin cute i cant stand it, :heart:heart

Send her here she can watch my tv any time :kiss2:kiss2 LOVE

Maybe buy her a tv of her own, And she can watch puppys all day long, Would be like a built in baby sitter :rivethead

Guest FijiHound
:lol I was planning that once my girl arrives to take her to work with me when I'm on the evening shift...problem is I work at a tv station. What would happen if she had 20 tv's to choose from??? :blink:

Guest mirthlesstroll

Cute - she matches the little statue in the last pic! Sorry, no help on the TV issue. Does she have any tricks? You might be able to entice her away from the screen with some really yummy treats.

Guest zoolaine

Zali would be a menace with 20 tvs all playing animal shows! I will have to look up the Dog Whisperer and show what tricks he used. I will try the treat and see how she responds. This weekend I watched Cats and Dogs, Revenge of Kitty Galore, Santa Paws, and Santa Buddies so needless to say my A/V cabinet is scratched to heck.

I used to have a dog sitter DVD but my 3 older dogs didn't give a hoot about it so I gave it to a friend who has since moved out of town. But I bet Zali would have loved it.

Teach her a command for "quiet" (ours is "shhhhhhhh") and reward her when she is. You have to be persistent, but for your situation it should work very well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Giselle

Teach her a command for "quiet" (ours is "shhhhhhhh") and reward her when she is. You have to be persistent, but for your situation it should work very well.

Yep.

Zali, when the TV is on, go to your bed (this is a taught behavior) and be quiet (this is a taught behavior). :) That's it!

Guest zoolaine

Yep.

Zali, when the TV is on, go to your bed (this is a taught behavior) and be quiet (this is a taught behavior). :) That's it!

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Guest zoolaine

Have you tried?

no I haven't tried teaching her to go lay on a dog bed. I have tried "cookie" to get her attention when she is doing it and no response. Although I do get the other 5 staring at me! I will see if I can teach her the dog bed trick - any tips for a sassy little girl?

You need to catch her when she is quiet, not when she is having a grand ol' time barking at the TV. TV on to a show she doesn't bark at, soft firm "Quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet," "Good girl!" and treat. Repeat repeat repeat. Same for teaching her "in bed" -- need to get that concept and command really firm when she isn't all worked up about something. Does she know things like "lie down" and "stay"?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's really cute what some of them will do with a TV!

However, there's more going on than we think because dogs don't see TV in the ame way that we humans do. It's down to the frame refresh-rate being idealized for the human eye and brain and because dogs work quicker they'll see a sequence of moving flickering dark shapes but without the 3D that makes it real. Where they do get totally confused if if you have a cinema sound system and the noise appears to move around.

Anecdotally, one of my Borzois (early 90's) used to watch the TV as if it was a real thing, particularly if there were cats running about. The TV's then were fully evolved CRT designs and had much finer picture quality. Then came the Plasma and LED with a greater flicker rate and I'm sure the dogs weren't so interested. Maybe now with the HD and fast refresh they'll be more into seeing things on the screen again.

How to cure the problem? I'd agree with redirecting to a different kind of activity... Kong to chew in the den etc; and don't react to them when they see something crucial to a dog on TV; if you do react they'll look out for the 'prey' or 'danger' all the harder.

Guest zoolaine

You need to catch her when she is quiet, not when she is having a grand ol' time barking at the TV. TV on to a show she doesn't bark at, soft firm "Quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet," "Good girl!" and treat. Repeat repeat repeat. Same for teaching her "in bed" -- need to get that concept and command really firm when she isn't all worked up about something. Does she know things like "lie down" and "stay"?

The problem I experience is that trying to work with one dog I get mobbed by all the others unless I have them separated. So it makes it hard to work consistently throughout the day.

Zali did go through Petsmart basic obedience so she knows sit, lie down, shake, she doesn't do stay very well.

So to teach her to go lay on her dog bed i just treat her and say "in bed" when she is already on her bed?

Guest Wasserbuffel
So to teach her to go lay on her dog bed i just treat her and say "in bed" when she is already on her bed?

Pretty much.

Then you work up to leading her to the bed, giving the prompt and rewarding when she puts herself on it. Etc. Evenually working up to where she'll lay down when told to do so, even with the TV on.

Another trick would be to promptly remove her from the room for a time each time she begins to react badly. Allowing her to stay in the room only when she's not jumping at the TV.

The problem I experience is that trying to work with one dog I get mobbed by all the others unless I have them separated. So it makes it hard to work consistently throughout the day.

Zali did go through Petsmart basic obedience so she knows sit, lie down, shake, she doesn't do stay very well.

My preference is always to use single word commands: 'bed' 'place' 'mat' whatever but stick with it and everyone in the family must use the same command. They all must participate in this as well or she'll not learn to not do it, just learn to not do it for You. Anytime you catch her on her place or going to her place on her own, say your chosen word and reward the action. Sometimes take her to her place and put her there, times when it's quiet and you don't really Need her there. As she gets the hang of the command and what you expect of it, use "variable rate reinforcement" meaning don't give out the cookie every single time or she's going to begin to think of "that place as her personal vending machine. It will take time, she looks young, I always had trouble keeping my Dane puppy focused until she was about 16 months. It will work in time. You might consider during TV time keeping her on lead so you can keep her AWAY from what's left of the TV cabinet. You can work on her basic commands during that time to distract her from the TV. Unfortunately that means you're also going to miss your show...

Edited by LuvAPuppy

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest zoolaine

My preference is always to use single word commands: 'bed' 'place' 'mat' whatever but stick with it and everyone in the family must use the same command. They all must participate in this as well or she'll not learn to not do it, just learn to not do it for You. Anytime you catch her on her place or going to her place on her own, say your chosen word and reward the action. Sometimes take her to her place and put her there, times when it's quiet and you don't really Need her there. As she gets the hang of the command and what you expect of it, use "variable rate reinforcement" meaning don't give out the cookie every single time or she's going to begin to think of "that place as her personal vending machine. It will take time, she looks young, I always had trouble keeping my Dane puppy focused until she was about 16 months. It will work in time. You might consider during TV time keeping her on lead so you can keep her AWAY from what's left of the TV cabinet. You can work on her basic commands during that time to distract her from the TV. Unfortunately that means you're also going to miss your show...

I have always given them cookies when they come in from outside. Well half the time when I really want them inside Zali and Zuki both will not come in until the see the cookie in my hand! The first time I had a friend come over and let the dogs out when I couldn't I heard "everyone did great but Zali wouldn't come in" ummm yeah forgot to tell her about the cookie thing :lol

I have always given them cookies when they come in from outside. Well half the time when I really want them inside Zali and Zuki both will not come in until the see the cookie in my hand! The first time I had a friend come over and let the dogs out when I couldn't I heard "everyone did great but Zali wouldn't come in" ummm yeah forgot to tell her about the cookie thing :lol

Eight years ago when I got her, my IG was incredibly timid and afraid of everything. She still isn't normal but she's come along way. One of the things we had trouble with was going outside at bedtime. I worked evenings and nights at the time so bedtime was anywhere from Midnight to 6am depending on the amount of lab work we got in. I finally got her to go out and potty after dark by giving her some sort of cookie after she came in. To this day, if she goes potty and it's dark out, there had better be a cookie. Sometimes she likes to go out and stand on the patio in the dark and then she expects (and usually does not get) that blasted cookie!

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zoolaine

Zali is doing better!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are working on "shhhh quite". So she is starting to associate it with a treat. Now when she is carrying on and I say "shhh quite" she will stop and come over for her treat! But she has started to bark/jump at the tv and then will stop and look at me to see if I am going to give her a treat. So I am not sure if she thinks she is getting a treat for actually jumping/barking at the tv or for being quite. Last night I watched the last Shrek movie and she was fine with Shrek but would bark at Donkey! :huh

Why not take one more step....shhh, quiet, go lay on your bed. Then only treat when she is on her bed.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Giselle

Why not take one more step....shhh, quiet, go lay on your bed. Then only treat when she is on her bed.

Yep!

It sounds like you actually taught her to bark at the TV and then come to you for a reward after you say "Shh quiet". Training is tricky. You don't want to reward the bad behavior. You have to teach an alternate behavior (Lay on Your Bed) and reward THAT :) Right now, you're indirectly rewarding barking.