Sitting In Cold Weather Only

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

It's the weirdest thing. Both Tatam and Bentley were completely confirmed "non-sitters" up until about 2 weeks ago. But now that it's gotten really cold outside they have started just spontaneously sitting while we are outside in the backyard. :lol I usually take them outside without coats and that's when they will sit. And I usually take it as a sign that they don't need to go. :lol (We head out coatless because Mr. B is on a bathroom strike while wearing a coat -- he won't go while wearing it :blink: -- this should get interesting when we hit really frigid temps -- cuz he already gets really cold.)

After getting over my shock that they are now often just sitting around (if they don't have to go) I am, of course, trying to reinforce the sits. :lol:lolGood sit, Bentley! Good sit, Tatam!

And compounding the bathroom issue, Tatam won't go #2 in the backyard,though he will go in a coat...it should be an interesting winter!

Edited by happygrey

Pal does this, with or without a coat, just surveying his empire. :blush

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Jubilee251

Molly did that today. She sits on command, but never of her own accord. She randomly sat today while waiting at a stoplight and held it until we continued on. I thought, "Hm, this is what it feels like to have a normal, sitting dog."

Then again, she's a weirdo and a spaz.

I was told by a couple of people with a LOT more greyhound experience than me... that they will often sit when they're cold. I know, it doesn't sound like a good plan to put your butt on the cold ground when you're cold. But this is what I was told.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Giselle

Greyhounds sit naturally?! :P:blink:

I'm guessing they probably sit because "down" means their entire belly hits the cold ground. Lesser of the two evils? Giselle just stands, shivers, and stares at me until we go back inside the house :D

Guest happygrey

Ok, I am glad to see that this is not just us! :lol Yes, believe it or not, they will sit naturally -- as long as they're really cold!

I should clarify that we head out coatless in the backyard for a "prewalk" to allow Bentley to go to the bathroom and then we head back inside and get coated before taking our "real" walk. All because I've got one that won't go in a coat (Bentley!) and one that won't go #2 in the backyard (Tatam!). :blink: :blink:

Much as they can drive me a little nuts at times and make me :blink: I love them so much I don't mind all the hullabaloo we have to go through getting everyone toileted. :lol Check in with me in March though, and it could be another story!

Edited by happygrey

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Aaron would sit when he was cold (he did it otherwise also). If I was talking with someone for too long, he would sit to tell me it was time to move on. We were in a parade last September and it was rainy and chilly and he was sitting while we were waiting. I felt so bad that I hadn't brought something along to wrap him in, so I opened my coat and hugged him. Oh man, now I'm crying again - I miss him so much (lost him in October).

Phyllis and Miriam and foster Manny (and Aaron, gone but still loved)

Guest happygrey

Aaron would sit when he was cold (he did it otherwise also). If I was talking with someone for too long, he would sit to tell me it was time to move on. We were in a parade last September and it was rainy and chilly and he was sitting while we were waiting. I felt so bad that I hadn't brought something along to wrap him in, so I opened my coat and hugged him. Oh man, now I'm crying again - I miss him so much (lost him in October).

Awww, I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:grouphug

I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a good mom :grouphug

Remember, tho, their butts are not entirely sitting :D

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yes! Lila has also become a cold weather sitter. My thought was that it was a way to make herself smaller, therefore warmer. I am also using it as a lazy way to train sit. :lol Whenever her butt starts going down it's, Good sit Lila! and many treats.

She also hates her coat. Walking in it becomes the death march and she won't go potty in it. I hope she can get over that as it gets colder because this is just the beginning of winter for us. :snow

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

So funny - I read this thread the other day thinking "nope, I've never seen that"...

What happens yesterday morning? My foster Chambers decides to do a perfect in the snow on our way back in from our early morning walk :lol He's never sat before unless he's on his way to scratch his neck. And yes, the first thing I did was say "Good Sit, Chambers!!" and give him a bunch of pets.

Hasn't sat again, tho...

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties