I'm A Victim Of Happy Tail

Oy....I've heard the stories but never experienced it myself. Richard got home early today and took the hounds out. After doing that he went into the kitchen to make some coffee and when he turned around it looked like a crime scene had taken place .....and was still occurring seeing as Chad has a very waggly wobbly tail wag. You can imagine the mess. The one good thing? Nothing on the ceiling. Good thing they are tall. However, after spending $25 at Walgreens for a make shift first aid kit I'm having a hard time keeping the wrapping on his tail. The gash is at the very tip and is about an inch long so my dressing keeps wanting to slide off. Any suggestions of what to use that will stay put?

You know, it figures that this would happen with my first foster. LOL! Thanks for any tips!

Jennifer & Quixote (Mom, that new dog is totally trashing our house!)

Here's a pic of Chad :wub:

Chad4.jpg

Per-happy tail :lol

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

I used these directions and the bandage did stay on for a few days.

Best of Luck

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/happy_tail_bandaging.htm

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

1/4 inch pipe insulation from home depot. Use neosporin, or whatever antibiotic cream that you choose. Put some elastikon tape around the tail and tape the insulation to the tape. Otherwise it won't stay on. We kept the covering on Idol's tail for 6 weeks. Of course, we removed and checked the healing, put fresh tape, etc. You can vet wrap around the top for decoration.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Use a piece of Elastikon further up the tail as an anchor -- just apply it to the uninjured part of the tail (I do it the long ways; no wrapping so no risk of cutting off circulation). When you bandage up the cut end, stick your tape from that bandage to the Elastikon. Aaaaaah, stays put. You can change the bandage for the tip many times and the Elastikon won't come off until you make it (possibly with some vaseline or oil -- the stuff does stick).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Best of Luck

http://www.grassmere...l_bandaging.htm

That's what I was just looking at. Thank you. :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

I've used a gauze pad and neosporin on the tip, then covered it with that stretchy tubular stuff that they use on peoples for burns, then anchor it to the body with a wrap of coban or ace bandage. You can always undo the tip and change the bandage.

Then once I have accomplished that feat I spend the remainder of the day with hydrogen peroxide cleaning walls, floors, furniture, etc. :eek

Lima's happy tail

Good luck...we went through this waaaaay too often.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest cassie19

Best of Luck

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/happy_tail_bandaging.htm

These are the directions I followed and we had very little problems with it falling off. I wrapped that thing so many times around lol. I changed it every few days for about 2.5 weeks and the happy tail was gone. I've also seen using a cardboard tampon applicator as a suggestion. :P

Guest Energy11

I HATE "happy tail"!

When we were at Mt. Hounds IN A RENTAL CABIN, Oakly got it! Had to use peroxide on the rugs, walls, lampshades, ugh!

We went to Family Dollar and got those old fashioned sponge hair rollers ... took the sponge part off, put it on the tail, and wrapped the tail with sports tape...worked WONDERFULLY!

Hugs to your "happy tails houndie!"

We too just had a happy tail explosion in our house (which funny enough was with our boy Chad, now renamed Gus :) ). Peanut also used to get this and wrapping never seemed to do the trick. Our best remedy to date is to use styptic powder (like you use on bleeding nails) and "dunk" the tail tip in, swish it around and get a good seal. Make sure to do it right away if you can so the powder can stick to the wet blood. I have also rubbed canine wound ointment (found this at Petsmart) that we have for cuts and scrapes on the tail tip and then used my fingers to kind of make a point with the fur to seal it up. As for the mess, that's a doozy. The quicker the clean up the better, but the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers have helped get the spots where the blood has dried. Good luck!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Basically you want to use the least amount of padding as you can.

The amount of weight at the lowest part of the tail is what often causes the bandage to come flying off. So try to get away with the least amount of padding or gauze down low and wrap the tape high.