Upc

Our Charlie has shown protein in his urine twice over the last 5 weeks when he has gone in to the vets (for bloodwork and monitoring). The last test was done was a UPC (urine protein/creatinine ratio) and the result is 2.7 which is high. The vet said not to get too worried yet as we are going to do another in a couple weeks. I did some searching on GT and didn't like what I was reading about kidney issues. My question is how high is 2.7? Below were the actual numbers:

Protein 467 mg/dl

Creatinine 15323 umol/L

Thanks for any help.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Can't be of any help, Kyle. But I hope someone happens along who can be. And I hope this gets resolved quickly. :bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Yup 2.7 is high. Anything over 0.5 is a concern. Your pup may have Glomerulonephritis. A high quality low protein diet may help as well as enalapril. Check your pups blood pressure.

Oh-I wanted to add that you should ask your vet about starting aspirin--if he has GN then he may tend to have a thrombo event (clots).

Edited by tbhounds

GN is one of the things I researched. We'll have Charlie's blood pressure checked and a urine culture as I don't know if they did this or not. Also we'll ask about the aspirin. Just another worry we have for a boy...

Diane - He is on Palladia however they do not note this as potential side effect however then again every pup is different. Three days on from between 80mg to 100mg and then three days off. He is also on Artemisinin, 200mg, 7 days on, 7 days off.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

I thought he had osteo, not mast cell? Re side effects: it's manufactured by Pfizer. They like to do their testing on general population..... It's only been approved recently.

Safety

The safety analysis included 151 animals (64 placebo-treated, 87 PHA-291639E-treated). The National Cancer Institute’s Canine-Adapted Common Toxicity Criteria (C-ACTC) was used to assign severity of grade 1, 2, 3 or 4 to the clinical signs. For those adverse events not listed in Table 10, grades 1, 2, 3 and 4 corresponded to mild, moderate, severe and life-threatening, respectively.

Table 10: Canine Adapted Common Toxicity Criteria

Creatinine

Creatinine 0.5-1.6 mg/dl

Creatinine 1.7-2.0 mg/dl

Creatinine 2.0-3.5 mg/dl

Creatinine 3.5- 4.5 mg/dl

Creatinine >4.5 mg/dl or clinical uremia

Original FDA Application

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Diane,

Yes he has Osteo. We chose the Palladia and Artemisinin protocol as that is what Dr. Coutu suggested. While Palladia was created for mass cell tumours, he stated it has shown some positive effects in preventing/reducing/controling lung mets. So we chose to go this path rather than do nothing. Now I am wondering whether the drug is causing him the issue. I guess the only way to find out is to stop taking it for a period and retest.

Many prayers for Charlie.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sending hugs and ear scritches to Charlie. I don't know anything about medications causing kidney problems, but here's a website that was helpful during the years we were managing Scout's chronic kidney problems: Diet info for kidney problems in dogs. In Scout's last year, we also gave him Azodyl, a nutritional supplement for kidney problems. It brought down his creatinine levels.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Kyle,

My Shelby (one of my whipadors -- half whippet and we think half black lab) has had kidney problems for 1 1/2 years now. She turned 14 this past August. She has done well on a low phosphorus / low protein diet. We use Iam's early stage renal diet (prescription and pricy of course). It has reduced the protein in her urine to an acceptable level. If my memory serves me correctly, these are the things we did:

1) Urinalysis showed dilute urine and protein

2) Culture showed nothing (did this twice)

3) Protein/creatinine ratio was bad

4) Ultrasound showed minor kidney changes indicative of glomerular nephritis

5) Put on renal diet

6) Monitor blood pressure (it has been fine).

7) Do a urinalysis every 4 to 6 months along with a blood pressure check. I also do complete bloodwork every 6 months as she is a senior.

Shelby drinks a lot and needs to go out every 5 to 6 hours. Otherwise she is a very happy girl.

So if the culture is negative and the protein remains high with a poor protein/creatinine ratio, I would put him on a renal diet. Be sure to check his BP regularly and put him on enalapril if it is on the high side (remember that greyhound BP is typically a little high). One of the IV chemos (I can't remember if it is carboplatin or doxorubicin, but I would guess carboplatin) can be hard on the kidneys.

Hope this info helps. Hugs to you and Charlie.

Thanks everyone. We are not currently planning to change his diet as we believe he is on a good one now. I know that doxorubicin, which he was administered after his amp, can cause kidney damage. It's possible this is the culprit or it could be Palladia. We were planning to send a note to Dr. Coutu's team concerning Palladia.

Edited by Charlies_Dad