Bill Has Me A Little Concerned

Guest greybookends

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori-

If his brand of glucosamine/chondroitin is the Cosequin DS that comes in the capsules... we empty the contents of the capsules on their food. This leaves an empty capsule. We put Faster's tramadol in the capsule-- one or 1.5 fit easily... for two, you might need to split one and then put the halves in... Then just bury the capsule in cream cheese or peanut butter and give it to him -- or just put it down as you have been-- but only one item and no risk that he will taste anything on the way down. (The capsules are gelatin and will dissolve.)

Hugs to Bill.

Carol

P.S. If anyone needs any empty capsules, we have a good supply and are willing to share... contact me by pm.

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Guest greybookends

Lori-

If his brand of glucosamine/chondroitin is the Cosequin DS that comes in the capsules... we empty the contents of the capsules on their food. This leaves an empty capsule. We put Faster's tramadol in the capsule-- one or 1.5 fit easily... for two, you might need to split one and then put the halves in... Then just bury the capsule in cream cheese or peanut butter and give it to him -- or just put it down as you have been-- but only one item and no risk that he will taste anything on the way down. (The capsules are gelatin and will dissolve.)

Hugs to Bill.

Carol

P.S. If anyone needs any empty capsules, we have a good supply and are willing to share... contact me by pm.

It won't work for Bill. He'll just leave his food in the bowl untouched. Like I said he is easy to pill. I just open his mouth and pop them down his throat. He doesn't fight it.

The biggest concern right now is that he is supposed to take the Deramaxx with food 2x a day and Bill will not eat in the morning. So this morning I gave him 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich and 2 chicken feet instead of the usual 1 in the morning and I gave him a cookie which he doesn't usually get in the morning. Not a lot of food and certainly not the most healthy of breakfasts but it puts something in his belly and considering he is about 8 pounds under weight I think it is just fine if it adds some weight to him.

The biggest concern right now is that he is supposed to take the Deramaxx with food 2x a day and Bill will not eat in the morning. So this morning I gave him 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich and 2 chicken feet instead of the usual 1 in the morning and I gave him a cookie which he doesn't usually get in the morning. Not a lot of food and certainly not the most healthy of breakfasts but it puts something in his belly and considering he is about 8 pounds under weight I think it is just fine if it adds some weight to him.

Did the vet mention why he recommended twice daily instead of once? Deramaxx is almost always given once per day. I'm actually giving it twice, but that seems to be quite unusual. Anyway, in theory it lasts 24 hrs, I opted to split the dose b/c I figured it couldn't hurt and it might help, but if you have trouble getting him to eat in the morning, I would think you could do it daily with his dinner and be okay. Or at least try and see if it changes his painfulness after he's been on it twice daily for a few days.

Continued good thoughts for him. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest greybookends

Did the vet mention why he recommended twice daily instead of once? Deramaxx is almost always given once per day. I'm actually giving it twice, but that seems to be quite unusual. Anyway, in theory it lasts 24 hrs, I opted to split the dose b/c I figured it couldn't hurt and it might help, but if you have trouble getting him to eat in the morning, I would think you could do it daily with his dinner and be okay. Or at least try and see if it changes his painfulness after he's been on it twice daily for a few days.

Continued good thoughts for him. :goodluck

OMG!! I just went back and reread the bottle. It is only once a day. 1/2 pill once a day. That makes things a bit easier, but i still need to put some weight on him. I will have to sneak him snacks throughout the day when none of the others are looking. They don't need to gain any weight.

OMG!! I just went back and reread the bottle. It is only once a day. 1/2 pill once a day. That makes things a bit easier, but i still need to put some weight on him. I will have to sneak him snacks throughout the day when none of the others are looking. They don't need to gain any weight.

Well I'm glad I said something! I almost didn't b/c I feel like I get annoying with all of my suggestions all of the time. :lol

Love the siggie by the way.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest arlosmom

Hope Bill is feeling better soon. All of mine except Janus are a bit limpy and stiff the last few days. Hope it is something temporary or just the ageing process. :grouphug