Harness

I've seen mentions of people using harnesses for their osteo dogs before. Is there a particular brand/type that people recommend? Right now I am carrying Neyla up and down the stairs, but that is hopefully b/c her pain sort of popped up out of nowhere so we are figuring out how to get it managed again. Hopefully she will be back to not limping or barely limping shortly, but in the meantime I wanted to look into getting something. We have regular harnesses here, but my concern is that pressure from the strap under her bad leg will be painful since her lesion is in her shoulder. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We have use one of Carol's ( God's Greys )assistance harness' for years. Love it. Scroll down to the second resource item.

http://www.northcoastgreyhounds.net/store/index.php/cat_140

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Jen, I liked this harness: Webmaster Harness, before I got a ramp, it worked well on in the ice and snow storms too, and for lifting a weak dog into and out of the car. Hugs to you!

I used this harness with Loca and it was great. Her vet thought it was anatomically perfect for a greyhound, also.

ETA: I used a size medium for 55 lb. Loca.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Another harness that is often recommended is the Ruffwear harness. I have not needed to use a harness so I can't comment from personal experience. I know that OSU has used the Ruffwear harness for front leg amputees (after the incision heals up). You could also make a simple sling. If you buy a standard sling, add a front strap (to go between her legs) that will velcro onto the sling on the good side. This will prevent the sling from sliding backwards when going downhill or down stairs (thanks Mary Pat for that suggestion).

Jane

Jen, I liked this harness: Webmaster Harness, before I got a ramp, it worked well on in the ice and snow storms too, and for lifting a weak dog into and out of the car. Hugs to you!

I used this harness with Loca and it was great. Her vet thought it was anatomically perfect for a greyhound, also.

I third this harness. Derek, aka 'BruciesDad' loaned us his for Charlie and it worked really well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Another harness that is often recommended is the Ruffwear harness.

This *is* the Webmaster harness folks are talking about above. I have one and have used it a few times. It's very adjustable and seems to distribute the dog's weight quite well. The handle on the back makes it very easy to help a dog that needs to squat, go up a few stairs, get up from lying down, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks all. The Ruffwear looks like a winner. I am going to stop into Petsmart today b/c they carry a padded car harness that may work as a temporary fix until the Ruffwear arrives.

Any tips on getting Neyla comfortable with having me assist her? She's actually doing a lot better today and was able to do the stairs on her own so now may actually be a good time to "practice".

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would just put the harness on her and let her wear it around some. Try pulling upward on it a bit and see how that goes. If need be you can thread an extra leash thru the back strap (or handle on the ruffwear/webmaster) so you're *ready* to help at a second's notice but aren't actually pulling on her until she needs it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wish I would have known. I have a harness you can borrow.

Be very careful about stairs. I wouldn't be going up and down often.

I haven't actually bought the Ruffwear harness yet. Just got a cheapo car seat harness at Petsmart in the meantime. Would love to borrow yours if the offer is still there and it will fit a 60 lb girlie.

Unfortunately no choice on teh stairs as I live in a 3rd floor garden style condo. Several easier cement steps outside, full flight of carpeted stairs inside our lobby, and then a short steep set of carpeted stairs when you come in my front door. :(