Bronchoscopy, Anyone?

An oogy iggy!:P

Iggy Buddy, my recent 11 y.o. adoptee, had developed a worsening cough, with persistent wheezing and yakking.For a dog with some of the worst lung sounds I've ever heard, he's amazingly happy, active and healthy-appearing, with bright eyes, great appetite, and a non-stop wet cough.After a couple of months of various antibiotics, and bronchial washings (which didn't reveal any organisms in the culture) my vet and I agreed it was time for a bronchoscopy.

We went to see an excellent Internal Medicine vet (who I've gone to before, with Lexi), and she was kind enough to do the bronch the same day as our first consultation. I've got the films and photos up, and thought some folks might like to see what a dog's pulmonary tract looks like up close and personal. :)

In Buddy's case, there was TONS of mucous, inflammation, redness, and very abnormal-appearing airways. You'll be able to see this (actually, you can't miss it :puke). Lots of this mucous and other yuk were sent out for culture, but again, no bacterial infection. He appears to have an inflammatory bronchitis -- still no cause known. He's doing really well on prednisone, theophylline and a course of doxy while we waited for culture results to come back. His washings also showed a large number of eosinophils, a type of white blood cell that can be seen with allergies, or with worm infestation -- lungworm. A fecal study was none -- no worms or eggs -- but he was treated with Panacur x 2 weeks regardless. Repeat xray on Monday showed improvement, but still showing inflammation.

But let's go to the video! no. 1 no.2 no. 3

and the album with photos

Here's the play by play (Buddy, live and uncensored)

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I can't even bear to watch. My own broschosopy was the singlar worst experience of my life and I will go to my grave before ever agreeing to one again. The medical team was very loving, supportive and caring but that is never happening to me again with my consent.

Hope Buddy feels better soon.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Oh, Buddy! After viewing those videos I feel like we're engaged or somethin'. I'm sorry you have those icky lung boogers. It' snot fun being wheezy (typo intended).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Well I don't think I want to look after reading but I sure hope he gets better very soon!! :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I have no expert advice, only amateur advise since I have never had to go through this (sorry you do), but a woman I work with has a daughter with CF - what about some sort of lung therapy similar to CF therapy? Good luck and glad to hear he is still in good spirits.