Depressed Behaviour

Guest BlingDogs

Guest BlingDogs

I think I may be overreacting a little bit, but today Dory has been really down. She only got up to go for her walks and walked away any time we tried to pet her (usually she bows her head and snuggles). She doesn't like toys or treats and hasn't acknolwedged me when I walk by her crate.

I've given her space but nothing much has changed. What should I do?

Thank you :)

I see she's newly arrived. How long has it been since she has seen another greyhound? Are there any that live near you? I'd be tempted to arrange a visit or play date today if possible. Hope it's something like that and not something physical. Sending scritches and wishing I could be more help!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

She's eight years old, right? Age definitely plays a part in energy level! Mine have slowed down considerably. Dazzle used to have "off days" about once a month when I first got him. They have days like that just like people do.

Give her time, she'll settle in just fine. :)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Time and patience. Some greys just take longer than others to settle in, and it's not unusual for them to have ups and downs over the first several *months.* If she's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom then I would just give her some more time. Do everything you usually do in her schedule - feeding, taking her out, going for walks - and be upbeat but not squeally. Be gently encouraging and supportive. She'll come around.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'd give her time. Some dogs settle in quickly and others don't. She'll come around in her own time. Find some really yummy treats that she likes and try and encourage her to interact with you. Even if it's just taking a little treat from your hand and getting a little head rub from you. Slow and steady wins the race!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Just give her time and space to settle in.

Some of them can feel overwhelmed.

She may also be a laid back kinda girl as well.

As time goes by, you will be better able to interpret her behavior.

After 19 years of having Greyhounds, I am still learning about them.

Good luck and congrats on your new girl.

this might give you some comic relief. jackie was just like you describe, when she first got here. sweet, but seemed depressed. wouldn't take treats, play, or react to much. now, a year later, she is completely different!! just give it time.

2rqyqhd.jpg

btdt...a few times...I found keeping to a regular routine helps, probably because they've had a regular routine at the track, and letting them get comfortable on their own without overwhelming them helped here. Having another grey also helped though, Brooke stuck to Ben like glue at first.

Yummy treats will help build trust and walks will help with the bonding process, at least this has been my experience. and don't confuse "couch potato" behaviour with sadness...she may just be chilling!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

this might give you some comic relief. jackie was just like you describe, when she first got here. sweet, but seemed depressed. wouldn't take treats, play, or react to much. now, a year later, she is completely different!! just give it time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0WzbSTKEHo

:lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest greytlady93

Dory came home in March? Her behaviour has changed within the past few days?

If a pup suddenly starts to withdraw, and this is a change from normal, I'd check for a temperature and closely monitor food/water intake and watch urine and fecal output. Early illness can often be spotted by noticing changes in personality. This time of year, tick illnesses are really troublesome.

Trust your gut, if you think something's wrong, have it checked.

• 2 weeks later...