Osteosarcoma

Guest theerinberin

Guest theerinberin

I just wanted to see if I could get some opinions on my dog's situation. I adopted George (track name Snake Daddy Dale) from a greyhound adoption agency a few years ago. He is currently 5 and has been diagnosed with osteosarcoma. The veterinarian said that we could amputate his leg but that the chance of his surviving for much longer after the amputation are quite slim. The cancer hasn't shown up anywhere else in his body yet, but the vet says that it probably will when they x-ray him again in 2 weeks.

I feel like 5 is quite young for a dog to have osteosarcoma from all the research that I've done. I'm really devastated, as is my family. George is the love of our lives. We don't want to imagine life without him but will take the best course of action in order to ensure that he isn't in any pain.

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on whether or not we should try to see how he does without his leg or if we should put him to sleep? Or knew what the majority of people do in this situation?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am very sorry to hear about George's diagnosis and I know it is devastating. 5yrs is young for a pup as I believe the average age is 7 however there have been some very young pups with it, I believe I read 3 as the youngest I know of. Why is your vet saying he won't live 'much longer' after the amputation? Is he an oncologist? The average lifespan after amputation can be short, I believe it's around 4 months however if you amputate and do Chemo, it increases to 10-12 months. That is the average so some will live longer (the longest I have read it approx. 5yrs). If you are considering amputation, I believe you should also consider Chemo as it can definitely help extend their life. You also have to consider your hound as you know him best. Many will be fine on three legs however there are some, especially older hounds who have arthritis that may not fair so well.

Just to let you know, our Charlie is 7yrs old and has Osteo. He had his amputation in early July and just finished his last Chemo and he is doing great. He runs like a demon, plays outside and inside with his stuffies, you wouldn't know he has only three legs. Our decision was an easy one because he was young, strong and we knew he would get around fine. We do not know what the future holds, we do not know how long he will be with us but we know he is happy and enjoying every day and that is what is most important to us.

If you want to discuss anything about this, please feel free to contact me at kyle241_2000@yahoo.com or you can call me at 613-525-5551, I will be happy to discuss our experiences. Also I suggest you get in contact with OSU and Dr. Coutu. He is awesome and his team has tons of experience with cancer in Greyhounds. Below is their contact info.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-g...g/donate.shtml. They will match the funds that you donate.

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just some pics of our Charlie after amputation roaching just like he used to.

DSC_00983467.jpg

DSC_00433269.jpg

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks Kyle for posting the info for OSU.

Amputation alone is simply pain management, so that is what I think your vet was meaning. However many dogs do really well on chemo (which OSU will provide free of charge to retired racers) and live for many months to years. It's a very personal decision, one that depends on the dog, their family and financial situation.

Let me know if you need any further info or support.

Janet

Hope for Hounds

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest theerinberin

Thank you very much all for the information. I am going to contact OHSU. I feel much more hopeful now. And thanks for the pictures of your greyhound. He's adorable!

Here's George:

groach.jpg

georgie.jpg

n508318322_1396325_4353.jpg

Guest bigorangedog

We've had 5 hounds with osteo here in the past year and a half. Three were not candidates for amps (for various reasons, including their personalities) and 2 had amps. Whitey had his amp at age 11.5 and lived just about 6 months post-amp (with chemo). Apollo had his amp at age 10, and also lived about 6 months with chemo. But yes, the average is around a year if you do both amp and chemo.

In case it might help, please see the link in my signature to "What to Expect with a Leg Amputation." Feel free to email if I can help in any way.

Jen

Ooooh, George is SO handsome!

I live in central Ohio, home of OSU and Dr. Couto. They are just incredible.

My Joe was diagnosed shortly after he turned 7. OSU did the front leg amputation on July 28, 2010. Joe is doing great! He just finished his IV chemo yesterday and his happily enjoying his life. He is the same Joe I have known since I adopted him.

I would be very happy to talk with you. My number is 614-523-0754.

Amputation is such a personal decision but I can go over pros and cons and the costs involved. I agree with Charlies Dad; if you choose amputation, it is best to do chemo also. I personally know one greyhound that is more than 4 years post amp/chemo. Unfortunately, I also know one that only made it a few days (the osteo had spread to another leg but was not detectable and the leg broke during the first week). The average with amp/chemo is 1 year and 10 percent make it more than 2 years. The average with amp and no chemo is 2 to 4 months (complications from lung mets usually are the cause of euthanasia). The average with no amp is 4 to 8 weeks. The cause of euthanasia in this case is usually uncontrollable pain.

If you decide to come to OSU, a local greyhound family can usually put you and your dog up in their home so you would not have hotel expenses. Just let me know.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

George is very handsome indeed :wub:

I'm sorry to hear about your situation though :(

My opinion? Well. I know that statistically, the odds are not good and I'm sure you're coming to that conclusion yourself from your research.

If George is otherwise healthy (and has clear xrays now - which hs seems to have) AND if he is reasonably OK with having treatments done at the vet (ie, he's not very stressed when he has bloods taken or similar) AND if you have funds/insurance AND if your home is suitable for a tripod dog - then - in your situation I would seriously consider amputation and chemotherapy.

As I've said, the odds are against you. But now and again, a good outcome can be had and the problem is, nobody knows who will get the good outcome and who won't. There is no pattern, nothing - which can give an indication of a good outcome.

If you are going to go ahead though, I would recommend that you do so immediately, rather than waiting another two weeks for further xrays and then have to schedule surgery after that. Time of of the essence with this condition - seriously.

Best wishes with whatever you decide :grouphug

Darcy Deerhound sends George a massive three paws up, 35 months and 3 weeks after her diagnosis/amp :kiss2

Edited to add - Darcy was five and a half when she was diagnosed.

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

We opted for amp/chemo and had 5 fabulous months before we lost our beloved Polli.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest bigorangedog

Also meant to add, you can see Whitey's story here. He's the "loved hound of the month" at the Greyhound Gang. Even though we only got 6 months, they were 6 amazing months and it was the best decision for Whitey.

Guest greytloves

Just remember that whatever decision you make, you make for George. Also remember that there is nothing more painful then OS.

I'm facing it now myself and have before. I hate OS.

There is nothing good about any of it.

Guest azlorenz

I am so sorry to hear about George. My Flash was diagnosed in July of this year along with many others. Here is a link to another thread documenting a lot of our thoughts and experiences that might be helpful.

Osteo Diagnosis July 2010

There is no right or wrong decision. You know your dog and situation best. Give George a big hug for me. He is beautiful.

Guest ChasesMum

our George was 4.5 when he was diagnosed and 5 when he passed.

He was a fantastic tripod and was his happiest those last 4 months. I would definitley contact OSU and if you can swing it and are ready to put in some hard days (ie can you take time off post surgery?), do the whole meal deal. jmo of course.

lots of luv to you all!