Roo Had A Suspicious X Ray

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

Just got back from my Mpls Vet.....he said the xray was fine and all she did was injure her nail bed....there is "No Suspicious X Ray". ...whew.

This is the best news I could have gotten. :colgate:rolleyes:

He said Roo is in great shape for her age. I guess I will have to keep her for awhile!! :P

Roo and I have been spending the first summer of my marriage and my retirement up at my husbands lake home. Not a lot of time spent on Greytalk....but a lot of time spent relaxing, getting to know my husband and fishing and enjoying life after working for 50plus years.

Roo has taken walks in the woods every day...learned how to swim.....and loves to walk down to the dock at night to inspect the "catch of the day". ...If we have no fish in the bucket....she is NOT happy!.

Anyway....about three months ago...when Roo would run....which isn't that often at the lake as she is leashed....when she would run...her left outside front toe would bleed profusely. I thought she just tore a nail.....and then a month or two weeks later the same thing would happen. run...bleed.....be fine....run...bleed.... be fine.

Today I took her to a Vet ...in my small town .."Up North"...he said the x ray he took looked...."suspicious",,,the toe bone looked porous and not right. You could see the soft tissue around the bone on that toe too. I don't remember much after that...except....I had them send the x ray to my Vet in Mpls...who is a GH expert and I left him a message that the x ray was coming. I will wait for his call. :sad1

I am trying not to worry...ha ha ha ha.....Roo is almost 11...and so healthy and spunky....

please keep her in your thoughts.

Has anyone had a houndie that would run and their toe would bleed and it WASNT cancer?

The Vet "Up North" said her nail was not torn.

Thanks you guys

Edited by WarmheartedPups

When I adopted Leah I had been told that her retirement was due to a broken toe and that it had healed sort of leaned over to one side. It was always very sensitive and she did NOT want it touched, but she ran and played without issue.

One day after 8 months with me, her toe nail on that previously "broken toe" suddenly fell right off of her toe. No blood or any suspicious appearance even. So we rushed to the vet and without much hesitation she said that the toe should come right off since the nail bed had become compromised. Ends up that there was a benign tumor in the toe and no evidence of a break as the kennel had told us.

I designed a boot for her to keep her from licking it and she healed up fine. The vet now refers to it as the "Leah boot" when another dog needs a doggie boot. She has been in great condition since then and has become less touchy about her foot (except for nail trimming time!) , but it was a very scary time for us. It has been nearly two years now and I know that having a greyhound savvy vet was a great advantage for us.

I hope that Roo has a happy outcome with his toe too. We'll be thinking of you.

Roo and I have been spending the first summer of my marriage and my retirement up at my husbands lake home. Not a lot of time spent on Greytalk....but a lot of time spent relaxing, getting to know my husband and fishing and enjoying life after working for 50plus years.

Roo has taken walks in the woods every day...learned how to swim.....and loves to walk down to the dock at night to inspect the "catch of the day". ...If we have no fish in the bucket....she is NOT happy!.

Anyway....about three months ago...when Roo would run....which isn't that often at the lake as she is leashed....when she would run...her left outside front toe would bleed profusely. I thought she just tore a nail.....and then a month or two weeks later the same thing would happen. run...bleed.....be fine....run...bleed.... be fine.

Today I took her to a Vet ...in my small town .."Up North"...he said the x ray he took looked...."suspicious",,,the toe bone looked porous and not right. You could see the soft tissue around the bone on that toe too. I don't remember much after that...except....I had them send the x ray to my Vet in Mpls...who is a GH expert and I left him a message that the x ray was coming. I will wait for his call. :sad1

I am trying not to worry...ha ha ha ha.....Roo is almost 11...and so healthy and spunky....

please keep her in your thoughts.

Has anyone had a houndie that would run and their toe would bleed and it WASNT cancer?

The Vet "Up North" said her nail was not torn.

Thanks you guys

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I sure hope Roo is fine. I'll be looking for an update.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Not much advice -- just, if there's any question as to what it is, easiest might be to take the toe off. Lots of 14- and 15-toed greyhounds around who will tell you the same.

Hugs and best wishes to you and pretty Roo.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.