Our Greyhound Is A Termite.

Guest rachel2025

Guest rachel2025

Pike has recently taken a liking to the molding around our front door. Also, the wooden heels on my new shoes, which have been destroyed beyond recognition. I've been spraying with Bitter End, but doesn't seem to phase him. Is there anything else distasteful to dogs that I might try putting on the wood in the house?

Of course he only does this when we're not around. And yes, he has had separation anxiety in the past. We thought he'd finally gotten over it (after 2 years), and he was doing really well out of his crate, but as of this week seems to be getting a little bored or anxious...(the only thing I can think of that's changed is the temperature. It's no longer hot and muggy, which is making him very energetic. We have increased the duration of his walks in response).

I'd prefer not to return to the crate, because it takes up a ton of space in the house, and he's definitely not distraught or stressed out when we return home. We always leave him a yummy kong, which is licked clean by the time we return... And he seems to be getting plenty of exercise -- his latest round of chewing occurred when we went out to eat after a really long walk that exhausted him.

We are also currently avoiding the muzzle because he hates it, and are concerned regarding the damage he will do banging it around and rubbing up against the furniture to get it off. However, if the sporadic wood-chewing continues, we'll either have to muzzle or go back to the crate.

Any suggestions? I'm really surprised that the Bitter End has no effect! I tasted it, and even without a super-doggie sense of smell, it was terrible! :lol )

The muzzle may be needed short term. Try smearing the inside with peanut butter and giving it to him as a treat while you're there.

Otherwise, fill a couple more kongs and freeze them. It'll take him longer to get through frozen filling. If you don't want him getting too many calories, try flavored water or juice or broth.

Many dogs do not respond to "bite not" products. You may need to try something else. Maybe a different brand would work better.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I see you are in Chicago, did you happen to adopt from GO? If you did, contact 847 421 9828 or 312 502 8074. The person that answers the phone can help you with options. If you didnt adopt through GO or you dont feel like calling them, feel free to call me (630 272 8178). I do work with GO as well as CIGA so there are many people around that can help, as well as people here on GT.

Chad

Maybe the Kong isn't satisfying his urge to chew. He's occupied with it, sure, but he's not releasing that pent up energy through chewing... maybe that's where your door molding comes in. Have you tried leaving him bully stick or something similar while you're gone?

I have a dog that loves to chew on wood and shoes .dry.gif He does not have SA but just gets a little bored. I muzzle him when I leave, for a while I put duct tape across the front so he couldn't chew between the holes of the muzzle but now the muzzle alone is enough of a distraction for him. Good luck.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest lasharp1209

I'd muzzle anyway and see how he does. A lot of them put on a show about hating the muzzle but the longer they get used to it (and the peanut butter works well too) the better it gets. Some of them will always be drama queens about it though, and of course they usually go to sleep when you leave anyway. I'm pretty unsympathetic towards my dog :)

Guest Lgyure85

Mine does the same thing. Her favorites are the stairs in our garage and our coffee table. I've had some luck with "Bitter Yuck," and my understanding is the "Bitter Apple" is even better. Just use them sparingly, since they taste horrible to humans too, and tend to get on EVERYTHING!