Amputation For My Grey

Guest tiffysmith

Guest tiffysmith

Annie is home.. YEAH!!! It was brutal getting her in the car. She is going to be on like 7 or 8 meds... Is gonna be a long two weeks, but well worth every second. We are all nestled in for the night. Thank goodness the bed I bought her yesterday is big enough for the two of us :-)

Thank you so much for all of your prayers. I will keep you all posted!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annie is home.. YEAH!!! It was brutal getting her in the car. She is going to be on like 7 or 8 meds... Is gonna be a long two weeks, but well worth every second. We are all nestled in for the night. Thank goodness the bed I bought her yesterday is big enough for the two of us :-)

Thank goodness all went well. I'm sure you'll have a few sleepless, worryful nights. Just hang on....it'll get better.

Pain meds & TLC works miracles.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Hi Jane, I'm Roselle and your reply to the question on amputation was so helpful to me. My Gracy was just diagnosed with bone cancer, very advanced. In x-ray the tumor on her tibia has moved into the soft tissue and her knee is quite large. I noticed that her foot was swollen and she limped occasionally, but did not complain. At the same time I noticed at night when I was watching T.V. she would wake up panting ( I was worried about her heart) I didn't know panting is associated with pain. Her chest is clear on x-ray but I know with a tumor as large as she has, she has to have mets. I'm considering amputation but we are leaving on a two week vacation in 4 days. I couldn't do the amputation for two weeks. My only other alternative would be to put her down before we leave and I'm not comfortable making this quickie descision . Do you have any advise?

I'm not Jane, so my advice wasn't requested, but here it is anyway. It may not be an easy decision, but don't wait. God only knows what it will be like in

two weeks. Don't make Gracy wait.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest tiffysmith

Need some advice:

Annie wont pee in the house. We have tried everything. We brought dirt in, made an area for her...but no.

She wanted to go outside. We have about five cement steps. We were eventually able to get her outside, using a sling around her abdomen and guiding her in the front. However we were terrified of hurting her.

My hubby wants me to figure out a way to get her to go in the house. I think that she did better now then when we first brought her home.

Any advice??

Thanks so very much!!

Guest azlorenz

I'm so happy she is home!!! Hang in there. Each day gets better. Trust me. Sending healing thoughts for Annie and some sleep for you. :grouphug

Guest azlorenz

Need some advice:

Annie wont pee in the house. We have tried everything. We brought dirt in, made an area for her...but no.

She wanted to go outside. We have about five cement steps. We were eventually able to get her outside, using a sling around her abdomen and guiding her in the front. However we were terrified of hurting her.

My hubby wants me to figure out a way to get her to go in the house. I think that she did better now then when we first brought her home.

Any advice??

Thanks so very much!!

YIKES! If she is anything like mine there is no way in $%^& they would potty in the house, especially with us there watching. If it were me, I think I'd do just what you did this time and help her with the sling. ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS? I know it is scary. I was so scared the first time Flash got up at home and went outside to potty. Granted we have no steps but it was still scary. So I can imagine what it is like trying to get her down the steps.

Can you rig up a ramp with a sheet of 3/4" plywood? Gotta make sure it doesn't slip off the steps but that would make it easier until she is healed more. Most Lowe's/Home Depot's will cut to size for you -- used to be, first cut or two was free and then you paid some small fee for every cut after that. Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Need some advice:

Any advice??

Thanks so very much!!

Like Batmom said, the best is either a ramp to get down those stairs. Even if you had a ramp, you should still help her down with a sling in the event she stumbles, you can support her. We built an earthern berm up to our deck as it was 5 steps down and were going to go the wood ramp route but the berm works so much better, is solid and safe. Our Charlie was walking down it the first day home with us helping guide him (we had a harness but he is a rear leg amp).

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest angel

When my boy Dash had his amputation, I never even considered having him pee/poop in the house. I had a sling to help him outside.

He always did his business on walks previously, so he didn't even want to pee on our property!!! He was so stubborn. He kept trying to pull me across the street. I had no choice but to give in to him. It took us quite a while to cross the street because he would take a few hops and then rest.

When he got across, he started sniffing and picking and choosing where he wanted to go. I could not believe it! Two days post amp and he was selective about which bush to pee on.

It was a bit challenging for the first few days, but he showed me that three legs were NOT going to stop him from enjoying his routine. I think the hardest part was holding him back from wanting to do what he always did before, until his incision was healed. He was actually depressed during this recuperation time. After his stitches were out, and we could resume some form of exercise, he was a much happier boy.

Annie is a beautiful girl. I hope you will enjoy her for many years to come. Good luck!

Need some advice:

Any advice??

Thanks so very much!!

First of all, do you really want to teach her that it's OK to go in the house? Think about it. ;)

Second, are there steps at the other entrance to your house, assuming you have both a front and a back door? Is there anywhere with an easier access for her?

I'd go the ramp plus sling route, if you have to use those steps, but see if you can get a proper sling which fastens securely onto her - some even have a handle to grab - and also make sure that the ramp is as long as you can make it, because the steeper it is, the harder it will be for her. If you can make it longer than the steps, that's great, but it'll have to be more than plywood so it isn't bendy.

Also, dogs tend to do better if you tack or glue some carpet onto the wood, or else it's too slippy and scary for them. Another way might be to paint some outdoor glue onto the surface and sprinkle it heavily with sand to give a grippy surface. That's just an idea that occurred to me. I've never actually done that. What do people think? :unsure

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest bigorangedog

Haven't read all the replies here...

I agree that it's not a great idea to teach her to go in the house, unless that is your plan for forever.

I may be in the minority here, but I think she will do okay learning the steps. Get a GOOD harness (such as a Ruffwear harness) and be ready to catch her if she slips. In fact, you might get some outdoor carpet to put on the steps so that they have more traction and are less hard if she does slip on them.

Most tripawds who could do steps well before can do them afterward. The first few days will be rough, but I think she'll get it.

I really agree with Jen about the steps. I know they are all different, and adjust at different paces, but four steps to my Winnie was like nothing at all, and she eventually did our 23 outside steps 4 or 5 times a day for over 3 years. I would look into a really good harness, and proceed as if it is routine. I think they can pick up on our anxiety, and if you are anxious about the steps, she just may figure it is a big deal and should not be doing it. Associating the steps or ramp with elevated anxiety will just enable her to choose another alternative that is not as practical. Just be calm, matter of fact, and if you are being careful and observant, not too worried about hurting her.

Good advice on the ramp, which should be as secure and as slight an incline as you can work out.

I hope she continues to improve daily. It is a rough transistion period for the time right after the amp, but in the larger scheme of things, a small amount of time for the decreased pain, and chance of good quality time together.

Sending good thoughts and white light to you and your sweet girl.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest tiffysmith

Hey everyone. I am happy to say last night and this morning were a lot better!!

Annie took her meds at midnight and we went to bed. She seemed like she was trying to lick her stitches so I put her t-shirt back on. She woke up at 2am screaming in pain. I think the shirt was pulling on the stitches. I took the shirt off, she laid back down and slept until 6am !! At 6am she got up and just started walking around sniffing things. I quickly called to my hubby to wake him up so he could come down and help me. We grabbed her leash and she walked straight for the back door. She actually hobbled down the steps herself. I just held the leash and Fran held the sling at the back to help her balance. She peed and pooped (which was better, not so loose) and hobbled to the back steps. She however can't seem to get up the steps, even with help. So I left her step by step (setting her front paw down on each step and Fran uses the sling to lift up her back side.)

She seemed much happier this morning. Now she is in and just wants to sleep...however it is time for her meds and she doesn't want to take them. (This is the first time I had this issue.) I will wait 15 minutes and then try using a different foods. I had been using lunch meat.

Thank you all for your prayers!!!

Hey everyone. I am happy to say last night and this morning were a lot better!!

Annie took her meds at midnight and we went to bed. She seemed like she was trying to lick her stitches so I put her t-shirt back on. She woke up at 2am screaming in pain. I think the shirt was pulling on the stitches. I took the shirt off, she laid back down and slept until 6am !! At 6am she got up and just started walking around sniffing things. I quickly called to my hubby to wake him up so he could come down and help me. We grabbed her leash and she walked straight for the back door. She actually hobbled down the steps herself. I just held the leash and Fran held the sling at the back to help her balance. She peed and pooped (which was better, not so loose) and hobbled to the back steps. She however can't seem to get up the steps, even with help. So I left her step by step (setting her front paw down on each step and Fran uses the sling to lift up her back side.)

She seemed much happier this morning. Now she is in and just wants to sleep...however it is time for her meds and she doesn't want to take them. (This is the first time I had this issue.) I will wait 15 minutes and then try using a different foods. I had been using lunch meat.

Thank you all for your prayers!!!

good for you annie!! sounds like she is on the mend - she will have it figured out in no time i bet. as for the meds - i was having trouble with rivie taking hers and here is what she likes: braunschweiger - it is back by the sausage at the grocery store and "molds" around the pills nicely - she will also take her "cheese meds" in velveeta, cream cheese, or co-jack (but not kraft -- go figure?) she will take her pain meds in wennies - but sometimes gums it and spits out the pills - maybe this will help?? you remain in our thoughts and prayers!

Edited by teri_d

Guest tiffysmith

Meds done... I think she was just so tired after going out...but I will add sausage and hot dogs to my grocery list for today!

THANKS!!

Guest azlorenz

I am so happy to hear that Annie is doing better. The first few days home are the worst. It really does get better. Hang in there. :grouphug

Guest tiffysmith

Hi everyone. we are leaving for vacation today and I am not sure about internet access. Annie will be coming with us. She slept through the night. My only issue is her not really wanting to eat. She did eat some ground beef this morning. She is taking her meds which is good. I think her taste may be off because of the meds. When i stuck a piece of meatball in her mouth she chewed it up and the ate more. But it seems I have to get it in her mouth for her to want it.

I will pick up liverwurst and tuna etc. when we get to our place today.

No matter what happens (with any of my guys) I do know I loved them all with all of my heart. Life is so very unpredictable and there is not a blessed thing you can do about it. (I lost my Dad a year and a half ago to cancer :-( I just have to do what Annie does...live in the moment and enjoy every second!

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support.

Guest kydie

been follwoing your thread,,, and pulling for Miss Annie,,,,, white light from north western Pa :clover

Edited by kydie

It sounds like Annie is on her way back. I hope she continues to do well and you will see, in the coming week or so she will improve dramatically. Have a good vacation.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending lots of good wishes for Annie :candle:grouphug

Hi Jane, I'm Roselle and your reply to the question on amputation was so helpful to me. My Gracy was just diagnosed with bone cancer, very advanced. In x-ray the tumor on her tibia has moved into the soft tissue and her knee is quite large. I noticed that her foot was swollen and she limped occasionally, but did not complain. At the same time I noticed at night when I was watching T.V. she would wake up panting ( I was worried about her heart) I didn't know panting is associated with pain. Her chest is clear on x-ray but I know with a tumor as large as she has, she has to have mets. I'm considering amputation but we are leaving on a two week vacation in 4 days. I couldn't do the amputation for two weeks. My only other alternative would be to put her down before we leave and I'm not comfortable making this quickie descision . Do you have any advise?

I'm not Jane (obviously :) ) Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your Gracys diagnosis :( Who was going to be looking after Gracy during your vacation? I ask because being 100% honest, if you are going to amputate it really can't wait for two more weeks. I think your choices might be either to postpone you vacation or, well, I can't really think of another choice unless you are going to take the euthanasia route.

Roselle,

I am so sorry I couldn't respond sooner -- computer issues. You have gotten good advice here. Most bone cancers grow very, very fast. It is most likely that she has osteosarcoma. This is the most common bone cancer in dogs, including greyhounds. It is one of the ones that grows very fast.

You didn't mention about Gracy's health and emotional demeanor. If you are considering amputation and chemo, time is of the essence. I definitely would not wait two weeks. Perhaps one of you could stay home. (I'm assuming that you might have kids who are looking forward to a vacation). Even if you decide to make her comfortable and not do amputation, that is a lot of responsibility to ask a sitter or a friend to take on. And to be honest, it is possible that the pain might be so bad in two weeks or less that you will have no choice. Of course it is also possible she can be kept comfortable enough for a few months.

If you do decide to amputate, please have your vet contact OSU to get their greyhound amputation protocol. He can email at greyosu@osu.edu. There have been some reports here that OSU is telling vets that they have to sign up for the website/newsletter. However, OSU tells me that this is not necessary. Also, be sure to go to a vet that has a critical care unit that is staffed 24/7. You want to have a veterinarian on site 24 hours a day. This usually means a large specialty practice or a veterinary university.

OSUs protocol includes:

aminocaproic acid via IV during and immediately after surgery

Amicar by mouth for 5 to 7 days after surgery

A fentanyl patch the night before surgery, continuing for up to a week

After surgery, IVs with fentanyl, ketamine, and lidocaine.

Ace if necessary for anxiety.

Temperature monitoring during surgery.

This protocol helps prevent bleeding (greyhounds often test normal before surgery for clotting factors, etc. but many will still bleed)

Temperature monitoring is essential because greyhounds are prone to hyperthermia during anesthesia.

Greyhounds tend to get very nervous and upset in a hospital environment. OSU likes to keep them quite doped up for a couple of days to help start the healing process.

I hope this info helps and that it gets to you in time.

Jane

Hi everyone. we are leaving for vacation today and I am not sure about internet access. Annie will be coming with us. She slept through the night. My only issue is her not really wanting to eat. She did eat some ground beef this morning. She is taking her meds which is good. I think her taste may be off because of the meds. When i stuck a piece of meatball in her mouth she chewed it up and the ate more. But it seems I have to get it in her mouth for her to want it.

I will pick up liverwurst and tuna etc. when we get to our place today.

No matter what happens (with any of my guys) I do know I loved them all with all of my heart. Life is so very unpredictable and there is not a blessed thing you can do about it. (I lost my Dad a year and a half ago to cancer :-( I just have to do what Annie does...live in the moment and enjoy every second!

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support.

I am so glad that Annie is doing well. I realize that this may come after you leave for vacation, but the smell of liver cooking might help stimulate her appetite. Then you mix the cubed sauteed liver in with her food. As you probably know, dogs tend to like smelly foods. Your plan for liverwurst and tuna will probably work too.

Jane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tiffysmith

Hi everyone. We just got back from vacation yesterday. Annie did very very well. She loved the shore ;-) She started eating and wanting to get up and go outside to the potty. She is still on tramadol and one anti-inflammatory. She gets her stitches out tomorrow. She still can't go down the steps, but she comes up them with no problem. I have learned to take her down the steps by myself !! She growled at my other two dogs when we got home yesterday. We have them separated still. They can see each other through the gate. They really want to see her, however she is just as happy by herself in the living room. Anyone have any suggestions for when we should try and get them all back together?? I wanted to wait at least until we get her stitches out tomorrow.

I tried posting some pics, but it won't let me...

I'll keep trying :-)

Mom_camera_srping_fall2010841.jpg[/img]

Mom_camera_srping_fall2010846.jpg[/img]

HOME AT LAST!!!

Mom_camera_srping_fall2010866.jpg[/img]

Edited by tiffysmith

Reunion: Muzzles and leashes outside the house (front yard, maybe?), one dog at a time with her. She looks great, and it sounds like she is doing well? What a beautiful girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.