Anubis Has An Osteosarcoma

Guest carolxi

Guest carolxi

Sorry, I’m at work and so this may come out sounding disjointed: I just found out Monday night. It is the proximal end of his left tibia. Currently the vet thinks it is in the early stage and he could have six months with medication. My questions are:

How will I know when he is in bad pain? I’m giving him tramadol 2 x day, but you know greys – they scream blue murder if they step on a pebble, but will limp home with a broken leg. He does hold his left leg up from the floor.

I work and I’m worried that something might happen when I’m not home.

What does the ‘bad’ stage look like? How will I know the right time to put him to sleep, how do they act when it gets bad, so I will know?

I know I sound pretty crazy just now – and I am, please forgive me for this.

He just turned seven on May 1st and I noticed him favoring the right leg around the middle of May.

I'm sorry about this screwed up post. Its now posted twice and I don't know how to delete one of them.

Edited by carolxi

How sad...I'm sorry you got such bad news.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Energy11

Osteo is THE WORST! I lost one to it, so far.

I am soo sorry you have to go through this with Anubis.

Sending you all the hugs, love, and prayers we can.

Guest carolxi

I hope he doesn’t go through that when I’m at work. My plan is to get him stoned out of his mind on tramadol and then have the vet come over. That way he will be at home and hopefully sleeping when the time comes.

I'm so sorry :grouphug I think if you're not home during the day it might be a good idea to keep him contained to a smaller area...somewhere carpeted so he can't slip and fall and obviously away from any stairs.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest carolxi

I'm so sorry :grouphug I think if you're not home during the day it might be a good idea to keep him contained to a smaller area...somewhere carpeted so he can't slip and fall and obviously away from any stairs.

You know, he has been staying in the basement because its been so hot – I guess I’ll have to close that door and babygate the entrance to 2nd floor.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sad and sorry to read this. Take photos, make memories, and take each day one at a time.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PiagetsMom

I can't really answer any of your questions as I've personally never dealt with OS, and I would imagine that most of these circumstances depend on the particulars - both the pup and the disease. My own personal opinion is that with any terminal illness in which you have to make that dreaded decision, best to be a day too early rather than a day too late. No one wants to be denied even one good day with their pup, but I believe it should not be just a matter of quantity of time, but of quality........ I always admire those who can give their pups one last good day, and then let them go peacefully.

I'm so sorry that you're facing this with Anubis.....my heart goes out to you grouphug.gif

Guest Paige12

So sorry to hear that you are going through this. If i can offer one thing, our vet, Dr Feeman gave me the best guideline I have ever had in 40 some years of being a dog owner. He advised me to make a list of things that I felt constituted "quality of life" 1 might be - Getting up to greet me when I came home. 2 - eating food, treats, etc. 3 not panting , or seeming distressed. 4 - interested in going for his walks, even if they were just going out front and standing around checking out the traffic and neighborhood. . So I'm sure you get the idea. Your list might include other things. As things on the list dropped off, it would help me judge how he was doing. I also kept a journal and it was a huge help to me as far as making the decision with my Cha-Cha. Again, so so sad to hear this news. Keeping you both in my heart. Beth

Edited by Paige12

Guest jettcricket

Damn...not another one diagnosed with this hideous disease. I'm sooo sorry. I've lost 2 to osteo. My heart truly goes out to you.

You and your sweet boy will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Edited by jettcricket

Guest bigorangedog

So sorry to hear you are going through this. I have had 5 with osteo this past year.

If you are considering amputation at all, please check out the "What To Expect" link in my signature here.

If not, don't be afraid to try different cocktails of pain medications until you get something that works. Gabapentin is one that some vets don't think of.

Wishing an easy journey for you and your boy.

Guest carolxi

So sorry to hear you are going through this. I have had 5 with osteo this past year.

If you are considering amputation at all, please check out the "What To Expect" link in my signature here.

If not, don't be afraid to try different cocktails of pain medications until you get something that works. Gabapentin is one that some vets don't think of.

Wishing an easy journey for you and your boy.

Do you have any idea of the strength for the Gabapentin ? – He weighs about 85 pounds

I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis. Working all day away from home was one of the biggest reasons I went the amp route. Dima was 12. She did excellent on 3 legs and had a very good 6 months before OS was found in another leg. That's when I let her go. But there was no coming home from work with a surprise broken leg. She did the dog door and since she had always had trouble doing stairs, even with 4 legs, I made a ramp for her. She tooled up and down that ramp as if she'd done it all her life. (I did practice with her a few weeks before she lost her leg though)

That's how I dealt with it. If you choose pain management, I don't have any advice except the best of luck. It's a tough call no matter what.

Guest fandogs

Take lots of pictures.. memories are great stored in ones mind.. but the visible memory lasts a lifetime, when our own starts to fade.

I did that for my Rhoda.. (not Osteo) Kidney failure..

She was also 7. Looking at her photos as she started to get more ill, I was able to make a decision about when the time was right. I never regretted it.

A list of life's quality activities is a great idea... it's a road map for you to steer by.

It will be much easier to make an educated decision about the time frame.

Remember the folks on this board will be there for you, too. To answer questions and to listen to your tears.

Guest carolxi

I just thought of another issue: the bedroom is upstairs and he always sleeps on his bed beside mine. Maybe I will set up on the ground floor for a while. Has anyone else had this problem?

Guest TeddysMom

I am so very sorry to read of yet another beloved Greyhound and their human companion having to deal with this horrible disease. You and Anubis will be in my thoughts and prayers.