My Little Hermit

Guest KungPaoKat

Guest KungPaoKat

We've had Monroe almost 4 months. I know it can take a long time for greys to settle in, but ours appears to be a hermit. We never see him. His favorite place is in the bathroom on the tile floor. I'm wondering if hermitness is just his personality, or if he's hiding because we have 2 young boys who can be very loud and unpredictable, even though they know to give him space since he's a wee bit timid.

Any hints on how to bring him out of his shell a bit? The only time he really comes out is when it's just me, home alone or after the kids go to bed.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

So you have loud children, and a shy hound. Ouch, tough situation. Well unless your children can settle down (which I am sure is a virtual impossibility as kids are kids) then your hound is probably in for a long settling in period. I would suggest that you have the children act as calmly as possible and to have them give him treats. If he likes to hang out in the bathroom, just have your boys stop at the bathroom door and toss a treat his way, then leave. Have them do this intermittently. After a while, your hound may start to actively search out the children as they are the treat givers. I would also be sure to monitor how many treats he is getting and cut his food back appropriately, nothing worse than a fat greyhound. Depending on the age of your children and their attention span, you may want to include them in your training of your hound. That is something else I would suggest is obedience classes. Good luck, its not impossible, but realize that most greyhounds have never been in close proximity to kids. It will take time for him to realize they are not going to eat him. Be sure though that the kids don't push it with your boy, especially when he is in his "safe" room (bathroom). He needs one safe place to go to get away from what is scaring him.

Chad

Guest KungPaoKat

Thanks for the reply Chad. Yes, my boys are 2 and 5, and they can be LOUD. They are both very sweet with Monroe, and I do give them treats to give him, which he takes gently. He's very sweet with them and lets them pet him and give hugs. My 2-year-old likes to take Monroe's dinner bowl to him, puts it in front of him, then backs away and stands back saying, "Monroe -- dinner! Eat!" and pointing. The boys also know to give Monroe lots of space and to use quiet voices when they're near him.

Ah well, I guess it'll take time. I'll get my 5-year-old to help me with the training. Monroe didn't seem too timid when we adopted him -- in fact, one of the reasons we chose him was because he didn't seem to mind the kids and was so laid back!

Try picking a time in the evening or during the day when the kids can sit down and watch a video or movie. Let them know that Monroe will come out and watch with them if they're quiet and calm. Once they understand that he is more willing to come out when they're watching tv, it can become a bonding time for them. It's going to take some time. I used to bring out one of mine into the daycare during tv time and the kids really got to the point where they looked forward to that time when one of the hounds could join them. I let them know that they couldn't hang all over the hound but could enjoy having him out there with them.

I agree with giving treats, food and even water. Your boy is pretty smart, he knows when he's feeling uncomfortable and has picked a "safe" place for himself. I'd let him use it whenever he feels the need. Forcing the issue could lead to him being anxious and could lead to a growl or nip. You're doing right by letting him set the pace.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have a similar situation in my house..no little kids anymore, but another grey and a noisy IG..Garry is/was my hermit dog..preferring to stay upstairs in my room all day. We never saw him. He is a nervous guy as well. after 4 years...I decided he needed help coming out of his shell. I gated upstairs so he could not go up. Made sure Missy and Flex were also downstairs with him.He likes being around people, but noise and quick movement scare him. i made 2 areas downstairs for him that I thought he would be comfortable in (one bed in the corner of the den between the ninety degree angle where two couches meet. and then I watched him in the livingroom. He seemed to stand in one spot, so I put a bed there. Treats, rubs, and a lot of smiles...he has learned it is not so bad to be with the family. I kept his favorite treat (boiled pasta) to give him when he joins us. Basically a lot of positive interaction and a place for him to feel safe, but still be around the family! Good luck. I never should have waited four years!!

Watch out for the hugs, I recommend you don't let your kids hug Monroe. He may tolerate it now, but it's very possible that he doesn't actually like it and will eventually say so, scarily and maybe with a nip. Hugging is one of the major danger zones with a new dog.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I definitely agree with Chad and Judy. Monroe just needs some more time to settle into the house routine. If he's timid, he may not have reacted much at all when you met him, so his true feelings about the matter weren't evident. My spook can be absolutely stoic when she's really afraid. Also, I would imagine your boys were on their best behavior then, and now, well, they are boys!

In addition to treats and training and quiet time as suggested, you might try a variation of "reading to the dog." Your kids aren't reading yet obviously, but if they like you to read to them, it can become a nice quiet time for the four of you. If he's OK with everyone being in the bathroom with him, go in there and all sit, not too close if possible, and read a story together. Use very short stories or time periods at first - not more than 5 minutes, or whatever Monroe can tolerate calmly. Increase as his tolerance does.

Nap time can also be a good bonding time, as can short walks. The kids just need to understand they are helping Monroe, and what they need to do. Adjusted, of course, for your boys' age level.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest KungPaoKat

Thank you for the great ideas! I will definitely try them. I love the idea of incorporating reading with Monroe -- I think the boys would love that too. And I hadn't thought about the hugs -- my boys do like to hug him, so I'll put the kabash on that one. I've been doing some TV time with Monroe the past few days, since I can lure him out if I sit on the floor with him for some quiet time. I'll look at moving his beds around a bit, more in the public area but out of the hot spots and see if I can find a place that's comfortable for him (out of the action but still in the room with us). I'll let you know how it goes!

It's natural for kids to want to hug. If they fuss about not being allowed to, try having them hug him around the tummy. I think it's less intrusive/scary than hugging a dog around the head and shoulders. I also saw a video where someone was demonstrating parts of dog racing training, and she demonstrated hand-slipping: one hand on the collar, the other hand under the tummy, holding the back legs slightly off the ground. So if Monroe is a retired racer, it's possible he will be familiar with being held around the tummy.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

we went thru annie freaking out and hiding with my son-in-law and daughter here. they initially came for a week, annie hid in the bedroom. between ignacio's heavy spanish accent and deep voice, a cello, and a viola being practiced and strange deep sounds and weird high sounds she was besides herself.

this visit she is a tad calmer, listening to them practice(both professional musicians)and getting used to the noise of their lifestyle(we have the on and off for the summer).

annie has been off the track for 6 months now and there is marked change in her sociability.

as to the boys, all of the suggestions are excellent, always remember that your pup needs a safe spot to get away from the chaos of life. they are not ruff-n-tuff terriers who can go all day, take lots of physical interaction and come back for more.

the bathroom floor might be the coolest spot in the house. annie sleeps on the wood floor directly above the ac piping(we have central ac). when they like it cool, they find their spot.

Guest lasharp1209

Obviously you can't have your kids take him on walks as they are so young, but they could lead him around on leash in the backyard (if you have one). Someone I know does this with her young child, and it has helped the dog bond with the child, and is still safe if the dog does happen to get away from them. Just another idea that might be worth trying.