Melatonin Or Benadryl ?

Which is best? The stuff I got from the vet last year --not ACE-- didn't do much good. We might actually be gone during fireworks time. I plan on leaving really loud music on, but Scout can hear them even when I do not.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest Energy11

Neither work on Cari or Staggerlee.

A lot of people swear by Melatonin. I have NEVER had any luck with it. I guess I'd choose the Benedryl. You can give 50 mg, every four to six hours if needed.

Good Luck! Yep... leave the TV or radio up HIGH, shut the windows and leave on the AC! Thank God this holiday is only once a year!

Thank you!

Do they not do the New Years Eve fireworks in Georgia as they do in MS and LA?:angryfire:angryfire My jaw just dropped the first time I saw the stands going up after Christmas.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Benedryl is stronger and probably more effective than melatonin in most situations. We use benedryl for Guinness' storm phobia when he visits.

I think it really depends on how fearful he is. I've had no luck with either.

Just please be careful leaving him if fireworks are going to be going off. Wayne is so afraid that he'll try to go through the window.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Thank you!

Do they not do the New Years Eve fireworks in Georgia as they do in MS and LA?angryfire.gif:angryfire My jaw just dropped the first time I saw the stands going up after Christmas.

I am not sure if they do the NY Eve fireworks up here, cause we are soo isolated, we can't really hear/see them! smile.gif They DID do them in Florida, though! HATED that too!

I think it really depends on how fearful he is. I've had no luck with either.

Just please be careful leaving him if fireworks are going to be going off. Wayne is so afraid that he'll try to go through the window.

Good point! You never know their fear levels, especially if no one is home.

Melatonin works better on my girls. I give them as much as 3 3mg. pills and that seems to do the trick.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Benadryl can have the reverse effect and make the dog (or people) hyper, so I'd only use it if you've tried it before.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

While I haven't had much luck with either, the following seemed to help Betsy this year (our big night was July 1):

- 1 3mg Melatonin at 4pm

- 2 3mg Melatonin at 5:30pm

- cotton balls in ears

- both TV's (kitchen and living room) on loud (HGTV or The Food Channel; have used The Weather Network (ours still does weather :rolleyes:)

If I give less Melatonin, wait until later, or use Benadryl, Betsy is inconsolable (pacing, panting, nesting....)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went with the benadryl and managed to be home before the worst of the fireworks began.

Just out of meanness for my family I played show tunes really loud on the TV music channel. Nothing seemed to help, and I'm pretty sure my dancing might have added some stress, although it was just meant for distraction.:lol

Guest Energy11

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went with the benadryl and managed to be home before the worst of the fireworks began.

Just out of meanness for my family I played show tunes really loud on the TV music channel. Nothing seemed to help, and I'm pretty sure my dancing might have added some stress, although it was just meant for distraction.lol.gif

Well, at least you had fun!! HOPEFULLY, this is the last of these stupid fireworks until at least NY Eve or next July 4th! Even up here in the boonies, Cari heard the ones downtown! We used our standard Xanax dose, that we use for thunderstorms.

I want to find the bottle of whatever the vet prescribed last year. Maybe it was Xanax. Whatever it was, I pretty much od'ed Scout. One pill made no difference, then hours later I gave her another out of desperation and it totally made her loopy. Whatever it was I didn't want a repeat this year.

I used Valium this year for the first time. Tried one pill Sat. night, it worked ok, but the vet said I could go up to 1 1/2 pills, so I did that Sunday night since those fireworks are just down the street. Made the dogs loopy (Sallie got a half pill Sunday) but it helped. I really want them stoned, so they just go "duuuude..." lol.gif