How Much We Enjoy Our Greyhound

Guest snuggles1010

Guest snuggles1010

I adopted my 4 yo greyhound in January 2010. I read all the books and did research for two months after we lost our 18 yo bichonpoo to kidney failure. She gets along great with our cat and family members (husband and adult son). We've gotten rid of her crate and she has full run of the house whenever we aren't home and alone with the cat. She is a little afraid of him. She doesn't like large dogs, but the smaller ones she ignores. She is great with children.

The only problem is that she is very protective of me. She has gone after our exterminator and a relative. Both male and both with facial hair. She also went after a neighbor, but that neighbor was teasing by coming up to her and barking and growling. I'd go after him also. I thought greyhounds weren't guarddogs.

She also plays fetch. Another thing the books said they usually don't do.

While visiting my mother she got loose. How - through the cat door which is 8" by 8" go figure. When her name was called, she came right back. Another thing that they don't usually do, correct? I still won't trust her off a lead. I'm afraid she'll get lost.

She also came face to face with a rabbit and just ignored it, but didn't ignore the two deer that were in the golf course. She wanted to go play with them. She likes to chase flies. We call her our flyfisher.

She loves to play with her toys and if she pays attention to one of us, it seems like she feels the other is jealous and comes and sits with the other.

In the books it says that they are couch potatoes. She not much for the couch, but her bed on the floor is her favorite place.

I love her to death. She is the best thing that could have happened to our family.

Guest TeddysMom
:welcome2 What a wonderful post. Sounds like your girl is very happy in her forever home. What is her name, age and all that information. We need some pictures. :digicam

Guest snuggles1010

Her race name was Pals Janette. Her call name is Janette and my full name is Jeanette. How about that coincidence. She is 4 yo, brindle. Her racing career was over in August of 2008. From then she was in a kennel (poor baby) until December of 2009. The agency said she was adopted by a family and they returned her after a week because she didn't get along with the other dogs. I think it takes a little longer than a week to adjust.

Before we adopted her, we had our eyes on a grey who had lost his leg, but we had to wait until after the January 1 (we are mummers, a Philadelphia tradition if you are not familiar) and I didn't want to adopt a baby when I knew that he or she would be along a lot between Xmas and New Year's. So I told the agency that if Tre (the dog with the three legs) found a home, let him go there so he didn't have to wait any longer. We then chose another dog who had just been adopted. Janette was third on our list, but third time a charmer. I'm so glad that she came into our lives. She such a joy.

I don't know how to upload pictures yet, I'm still learning.

How may greys do you have? What are their ages and stories?

Guest TeddysMom

Her race name was Pals Janette. Her call name is Janette and my full name is Jeanette. How about that coincidence. She is 4 yo, brindle. Her racing career was over in August of 2008. From then she was in a kennel (poor baby) until December of 2009. The agency said she was adopted by a family and they returned her after a week because she didn't get along with the other dogs. I think it takes a little longer than a week to adjust.

Before we adopted her, we had our eyes on a grey who had lost his leg, but we had to wait until after the January 1 (we are mummers, a Philadelphia tradition if you are not familiar) and I didn't want to adopt a baby when I knew that he or she would be along a lot between Xmas and New Year's. So I told the agency that if Tre (the dog with the three legs) found a home, let him go there so he didn't have to wait any longer. We then chose another dog who had just been adopted. Janette was third on our list, but third time a charmer. I'm so glad that she came into our lives. She such a joy.

I have 5 greyhounds and a bunch of other dogs. My first grey, Teddy, is about 2. He came out of the shelter in our little town last August. I wanted a greyhound friend for him so I adopted 3yo Spice from an Adoption group. I got Mandy, 7yo from her race owner through an add in the paper, Spencer 2yo came in March from the same adopion group as Spice then Blossom 4yo arrived June 11. Spice and Blossom would be considered very shy and hard to place but are doing really good here. My dogs are the joy of my life. If you have some pictures, you can email them to me and I will post them for you. abhundley@yahoo.com Welcome and I hope you stick around, GT is a good place to be for wise advise on greyhounds.

Guest kydie

I read you post, and your pup going after the men with facial hair, I can only tell you I have a non-grey, been with us all her life, a rescue, and her whole life she has HATED men with baseball caps on, no cap, O.K. put on the cap she makes a dive for your ankles, no matter how hard we have tried, at age 12 I pretty much think, we won't change it, she came to us from a bad situation, and we are sure someone, somewhere was mean to her that wore a baseball cap, they say dogs live in the moment, I beleive that is true, but some things are ingrained that can never change, I beleive that too :)

Suggest in the future you baby gate her into a room when you have service people over. You really don't want her "going after" people that are in your home because you've permitted them to be!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest caelanarcher

If there's one thing my hound has taught me, it's that not all greyhounds are "book" greyhounds.

Aaron doesn't chase. He does stairs like a pro (better than my childhood dog did). He hasn't attempted to get on the couch. He doesn't de-squeak squeaky toys. He doesn't groom himself. He requires regular baths. He barks.

Sounds like you've got another lovable "weirdo" on your hands!

While visiting my mother she got loose. How - through the cat door which is 8" by 8" go figure.

:blink: That's just impressive!

Guest happygrey
:wave Hello! It's great to read your post. And I can honestly say that I know just how you feel. B) B) I love my houndies to pieces!

Oooh, I just found Pals Janette on greyhound-data.com and posted her picture for you.

She's beautiful! I love brindles!!

Greyhound_Pals_Janette-_2big.jpg

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest snuggles1010

Thank you all for your kind words and information. I'm going to try to post pictures. It may take me a while, but I'll figure it out. If not my son has his bachelor's in computer science and education and information technology. If I can't figure it out, he better know how to. LOL

Guest snuggles1010

Here's a picture of our Janette with her older brother Junior. When we run the vacuum, the two run up the steps and get into our bed until they are sure that the vacuum is put away.th_BestBuds.jpg?t=1277223103[/size]

Edited by snuggles1010

Guest auforygirl

GORGEOUS is all I have to say about her. Odd sure but some greys are just odd... It is their quirks you just love as for the whole guarding thing I am going to go with the whole Ceaser introduction stuff... No talk, No touch, No eye contact. Calm energy. Put a small sign on your door so people know before they come in. and treats might help...

Guest snuggles1010

Thanks for the info and the compliment. The thing is that she is okay with company - wants hugs and kisses. Loves my son's two friends and my 7 yo nephew, it just seems that it's men with facial hair (they're also tall, but my husband is 6' 5"). I've given the treats to the three men she went after and after that she was okay, but I'm still a little leary and will keep a watchful eye. She is very possessive with me. If I go out she gets severe separation anxiety even if my husband and son are home. Cries when I leave and then watched the door. When I come in she cries also, but I started ignoring her until she stops crying and then give her attention. I'm hoping this will resolve her crying issue, but it's nice to have that kind of unconditional love.

Guest MyBoys

Your little girl is just adorable :wub: , it is amazing how quickly we get attached to them and them to us. By the way, I grew up in Philly and as a kid never missed the mummers parade.

Guest snuggles1010

I been here my whole life and am heavily involved with the Mummers. My husband is president of one of the brigades and I dance with them. It's something I hope never goes away. By the way, the South Philly Vikings were on America's Got Talent tonight. They made it to the Las Vegas show. They are supposed to be on again within the next two weeks.

Welcome to GT! Janette sounds great!

I knew someone with a greyhound I never got to meet because he was SOOO protective of her that she couldn't bring him to events! He was a super watchdog at home. So some are protective. Now, my Cody would have hid behind me if someone had come at me!!! (Or run away!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest kimmel729

My mom has a bichon/mini poodle mix, she is such a sweetheart. I am happy to hear that your GH is fitting in great with your family. My girl does not like the couch or human bed so far either! I'm anxious to see more pics of your doggie, can't wait! :)

Guest GoingRogue

She is very pretty. I love how soulful greyhounds eyes are.

We just adopted our first handsome boy less than 2 weeks ago and will definitely be adopting again, can't have just one, lol ;) . He will be 2 July 11th and just came off the track in April so we got a youngster. Bless his heart, he just wasn't a racer. He was born to be rotten house dog. We are starting to see his personality come out the more settled he gets. I'm not sure if he is going to be the typical "book" grey. He does have great house manners, tolerates my loud kids and is good with the cats, so far.

I am spreading the word about greys to EVERYONE I know and even people I don't know. When someone asks about him I'm quick to use it as a way to talk to them about retired greyhounds. I absolutely LOVE greys and am soooooo glad we decided to adopt.

hi! we live in Florida and we have 2 greyhounds. i just wanted to say that i grew up in South Jersey, and every year we used to march in the mummers parade! not a "mummer", just a musician that somehow got hooked up with people who wanted us to march. :) i'm so glad you have a greyhound, and that she's working out great with your family.

tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg