Allergic Rxn To Rabies Shot

Could be wrong but AFAIK the same vaccine can be given either IM or subQ. There was one some years ago that was marketed as a subQ but they found it needed to be given IM to be effective.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

WILLIE WONKA'S EPISODE OCCURED 6 OR 7 YEARS AGO. SAME MANUFACTURER THAT MY VET HAS ALWAYS USED, I IMMEDATILY ASKED IF THERE WERE ANY CHANGES, EITHER MANUFACTURER OR FORMULA. NONE THAT HE WAS AWARE OF. SIMPLY AN ALLERGIC REACTION.

Wow. Thanks for letting me know. I'm REALLY gun shy of vaccinations now. I always was leary of them...getting as few as possible and never at the same time etc. but now, now I'm really having doubts about the advisability of getting ANY for a mature dog or later. I know Minny won't have anymore, ever.

Guest houndlygal

From one DVM to a pet owner : You need to go whereever you are comfortable with your pet -- because regardless of how good or bad the vet may be you will likely never trust them again --- and it is SO important to trust the people taking care of you houndly. Anaphylactic vaccine reactions are rare but do occur and are always scarey when it happens - but they happen over time and with exposure -- so typically in pets that have not had a history of reactions.

I hope this helps!

Minny has continued to improve. Yesterday he was still slightly dragging his feet on the side that the shot was on and today I can see a slight gait abnormality on that side but I am hopeful he will continue to improve and will recover fully. I reported an adverse event to the manufacturer(Pfizer) and the USDA. The manufacturer was disturbed that the tech did not administer it in the leg like is supposed to be done. That may cause some issues for the vet clinic but I'm not lying about nothing- I tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. Just wanted to let you guys know. Thanks so much for your help! It was very comforting.

Best of luck for a full recovery. What a scary event. I have made a concsious effort with all of my older animals, i.e. dogs, cats, horses, to limit the number of vaccines - but it is such a tough call - particularly with the legal implications of rabies - God forbid they should end up in quarantine - but when you hear about something like this, I can't help but re-think.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Best of luck for a full recovery. What a scary event. I have made a concsious effort with all of my older animals, i.e. dogs, cats, horses, to limit the number of vaccines - but it is such a tough call - particularly with the legal implications of rabies - God forbid they should end up in quarantine - but when you hear about something like this, I can't help but re-think.

Your are EXACTLY right. When I think about it now I believe that issues arrising from non-compliance with any law(s) are MUCH LESS likely for me than possible problems to include cancer etc. or even death that are a result of the vaccines. In other words I think that it is more likely that my animals will be harmed by the vaccines than that I will have any legal issues. I have some personal experience I can relate that to as I was a police officer for 8 years and an Animal Control Officer in a large city for 1 year. Therefore for me the prudent thing is to ignore the law and protect my dogs. Minny will not be vaccinated again with anything. I will be extremely judicious with regards to my other animals. I will base all decisions on a risk vs. benefit analysis for each of them.