New Dog Poops & Pees In Driveway, Now Having Accidents Inside

Guest got2now

Guest got2now

We've had our new girl (2 years old) for about 2 months. When we let her out, she has to cross the asphalt driveway to get to a hill, which leads down to the yard where she's supposed to do her thing. My other dogs do this, no problem, but she waits us out and won't go anywhere but on the pavement. I have (consistently) tried walking her down there and giving her a treat when she goes in the right place. Sometimes she won't go, though, even if I wait her out, and she'll either go inside (4 times it's happened), or she'll wait until I've gone inside and when she'll go for the pavement. I can't always go down the hill with her, but I've done it enough that she knows better. My husband is tired of this and complains to me every time it happens, which is driving me crazy. She's super-stubborn and will just sit down like a lead anchor when she doesn't want to do something. Any advice?

Why is it a problem for her to go on the pavement?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OK, but if you're there watching her could you not pick up?

Assume the entire area is fenced?

There must be something about "down the hill" that she doesn't like. I would get the "we go potty outside" distinction established first. Meanwhile you could take some toys, treats, etc. down the hill and work on establishing that the area is fun to be in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

Two months isn't really long enough for her to get really comfortable with her new enviroment. Maybe she isn't use to grass and just hasn't got the idea that she is supposed to potty there, she may also not want to get that far away from you yet.. It might help to take a few days and leash walk her in the yard and just walk her until she does her business then celebrate with lots of happy "good girs" and treats until she gets the idea. It will take a lot of time and patience on your part but I'm sure it is a behavior that can be overcome.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Not to sound like I am bashing you, but I do agree with Batmom, just pick it up. Also, why cant you go down with her every time until she is consistent, thats part of being a dog owner.

but I've done it enough that she knows better.

No she doesn't.

If it's really that important that she not go on the driveway, then it's back to square one and making sure that it's reinforcing for her to go where you want her to go. That means walking her on lead in that area only, asking her one time nicely to "go potty" then waiting until she does. When she does, throw a party (act excited, jump around, praise her in a sing song voice). A single dog treat isn't gonna' do it - bring human food and give a huge handful of that, or if she really likes to play, bring her favorite toy and let her reward be being let off leash and having the toy tossed for her.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Even when we are walking Idol, she likes to pee at the end of driveway or sidewalk. Some dogs, just have their "things". I am also not sure why it is a problem.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest got2now

Yes, the entire area has a 6' fence around it. I will keep doing what I've been doing, like the leash thing. Not having her go in the driveway is more a sanitary, quality-of-life thing - not stepping in it, not having to hose the area down several times a day and roll the hose back up each time. That and the fact that it drives dh crazy and I want him to let us keep the foster dog we've got is the main reason I asked.

We do so much for our 3 dogs and think they have a really happy and full life. I don't think that that not wanting her to pee in the house and not wanting to pick up driveway poop several times a day and get the hose out and put it back every time means that I'm not fulfilling my duties as a dog owner or even is something to bash someone about. I realize that one has to be careful about asking for advice here because you're talking in cyberspace, but since we all want to encourage people to adopt and to keep their greyhounds, getting annoyed about a simple training question is not helpful. It certainly won't help the dog to get a frustrated owner ticked off. Just a thought, I mean no disrespect to anyone and appreciate the good advice that was given.

Edited by got2now

Guest Samantha

Im bewildered really as to why this is such a huge problem :unsure . Ive had Maddison 2 months, she has never had one accident in the house (ive been lucky) We have a grassed area and also a side gate which leads to our drive, she never goes on the grassed bit and always walks to the drive to pee and poo, i pick it up when she's done and twice aweek, i hose the garden and use a scented disenfectant (because girlie wee tends to pong a lot!). It may be easier if she went on the grass for me, but the way i look at it is, atleast she isn't going in the house :) . If its that much of a deal I would try whats being suggested :) Good luck!

Guest KennelMom
My other dogs do this, no problem, but she waits us out and won't go anywhere but on the pavement

There's the problem. I guess she's learned that if she waits long enough, she can do her business wherever she wants. The best way to train a stubborn dog, is to become an even more stubborn human. When training any behavior - and ESPECIALLY when trying to extinguish a behavior - consistency is critical. It's really the only way.

What neylasmom said. :nod

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok, your being defensive. Let me try this route then:

Why don't you get a few laths (long wooden sticks) from the big box hardware stores and a long roll of snow fencing (orange plastic fence). Make a fence inside of your fence, each time you take your hound out, put her in the "inside fence" and make her stay there until she does her business, then treat like crazy. Do this for a few months and you should have no more issues with inappropriate elimination. Optimum word being "should", you can never be 100% sure of where they are going to want to eliminate, unless you leash walk every time.

One other thing though, they way you said, you want your hubby to "let you keep the foster", that kinda sounds like you are going to have to talk him into the dog, and if thats the case, anything negative the dog will ever do after you adopt him/her will just cause resentment. JMO.

One other thing though, they way you said, you want your hubby to "let you keep the foster", that kinda sounds like you are going to have to talk him into the dog, and if thats the case, anything negative the dog will ever do after you adopt him/her will just cause resentment. JMO.

I have to agree with this. Maybe right now adding to the pack or household is not a good time and Hubby is trying to get that across to you.

My one dachshund has trouble pooping, and will poo on the pavement or my driveway versus the grass. It takes a lot of activity and motion to get his bowels going and he usually can't help where he's going. Sometimes he's running up the stairs and out it comes.

I signed an agreement when I adopted him- and on plan on carrying it out, through thick and thin.

Hopefully whatever the situation is with your dog, you can find a solution.

Edited by September

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

The thing is, tho, that if she's pooping in the house instead of pooping outside -- well, at least to me, that would be waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than pooping on the driveway. I really would get "outside" well established, and then work on the "where." If you have to get the hose out, first time why not fill a 5 gallon bucket? Then next time or two, you don't have to get the hose out, the bucket's right there.

Some dogs don't like tall grass, wet grass, dirty spots where other dogs have left piles that haven't been picked up, times when other dogs might hover over them or pester when they're trying to go, etc. So I would look at some of those things as well.

Guest sophiesmum

when we fist got Sophie home we had been given the advice to walk her on the lead to where we want her to go and wait. Unfortunately she had no idea why we were making her stand there and must have thought she was in trouble, so wouldnt go there.

She then started to go down the side of the house, which was no great problem, accept that the "pee" smell started to some through our loungeroom window.

What we did was block that area off. She would then start to go near by the area that was blocked off.

Something that helped with this was laying down newspaper in the area, waiting a few days until she had peed on it a few times then moving the newspaper to the correct area. She then started to go near the new location of the newspaper, which is where we would like her to.

Now, most of the time, she goes there.

So yeah, you might want to try covering the area she currently likes to go in newspaper, then moving it.

We have a nice big backyard where 4 out of 5 of my hounds pee and poop. Chloe won't. She pees on the patio and poops there as well. Sometimes I find a piece of poop situation right between the 2 doggie swimming pools :blink: and wonder how she did it- since I KNOW it's Chloe.

But I pick it up. No problem. I too am not understanding what the big deal is.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest barkdogs

What isn't a big deal to some is a big deal to others. I would respectfully suggest that helping this person to successfully deal with this issue would be perhaps more helpful than criticizing her for finding the behavior undesirable.

I would suggest stubbornness on your part--the "fencing a potty pen" suggestion sounds good -- also the newspaper one--I never would have thought of that! Also you might try moving a couple of her poops to the area you want her to use--sometimes that helps.

Best of luck!

Guest Swifthounds

I agree that it's clear that the dog has been sent mixed signals and thus it isn't clear to her what is expected. That said, it's not unreasonable to train the dog to potty in a desirable place. Maybe a lot of GTers don't mind a dog pottying in their driveway, but the OP does. The dog can be taught where to potty and advice along those lines would be most helpful.

but I've done it enough that she knows better.

No she doesn't.

If it's really that important that she not go on the driveway, then it's back to square one and making sure that it's reinforcing for her to go where you want her to go. That means walking her on lead in that area only, asking her one time nicely to "go potty" then waiting until she does. When she does, throw a party (act excited, jump around, praise her in a sing song voice). A single dog treat isn't gonna' do it - bring human food and give a huge handful of that, or if she really likes to play, bring her favorite toy and let her reward be being let off leash and having the toy tossed for her.

Seconding this advice. Also, if she doesn't "go" when taken outside, keep her on leash and with you so that she doesn't have an opportunity to sneak away and "go" inside.

My other dogs do this, no problem, but she waits us out and won't go anywhere but on the pavement

There's the problem. I guess she's learned that if she waits long enough, she can do her business wherever she wants. The best way to train a stubborn dog, is to become an even more stubborn human. When training any behavior - and ESPECIALLY when trying to extinguish a behavior - consistency is critical. It's really the only way.

What neylasmom said. :nod

Yep. I've had my share of stubborn dogs in my time. Nature has not yet produced a dog more stubborn and more persistent than me.

This is almost funny, given how many times one person in a relationship wants to keep a foster and the other says no more dogs and the dog ends up staying. I'll preface this by saying I won't be requiring anyone's permission to acquire or keep a dog - least of all someone who isn't keeping me. That aside, if the "rub" is the dog pottying in an undesired place, that can be fixed and the issue will be resolved. If the husband wants to agree to a dog and then resent it, there's some growing up to do and perhaps need to relationship counseling. That kind of behavior only sabotages relationships.

Guest Fluffy
The best way to train a stubborn dog, is to become an even more stubborn human.

This. This, this, this. I've been in wars of will with my dog as we get adjusted to each other, and I've found that the key is to just not be in a rush. If I don't go into things prepared to wait him out, it becomes much easier for him to win. So I nth the recommendation to sub-fence the area you want her to potty in, bring her in there, and just wait her out. Bring out a book and a chair. Or, hey, a flask. Whatever will keep you content while you wait. When she goes, happy dances and treats abound and you can take her back outside the fence to the house.

And as a side note, please don't feel too attacked by what people are writing - this is a pretty opinionated group, and almost inevitably if one person says A, there will be another person who feels A is zomg everything that is wrong with the world, and then three other people who want to talk about A vs. B instead of the original topic, and then some dude in a moose-antler hat wants to do an interpretive dance of the role A plays in his life...

Ok, maybe not that last bit. :lol But it's best to let of the value-assigning comments roll off your back, as you're doing, and remember that we're all just a bunch of people trying to feel our way to what's best for us and our dogs :)

Guest Swifthounds

And as a side note, please don't feel too attacked by what people are writing - this is a pretty opinionated group, and almost inevitably if one person says A, there will be another person who feels A is zomg everything that is wrong with the world, and then three other people who want to talk about A vs. B instead of the original topic, and then some dude in a moose-antler hat wants to do an interpretive dance of the role A plays in his life...

:rotfl

Not to sound like I am bashing you, but I do agree with Batmom, just pick it up. Also, why cant you go down with her every time until she is consistent, thats part of being a dog owner.

It's easier to pick uyp on pavement than grass. :unsure

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Why not take out a small sheet of newspaper and pop it under her butt when she squats to poop. Easy then to pop it into a plastic bag and dispose of and nothing left on the drive to wash away. Eventually she will learn to go where you want and you can stop doing this but meanwhile she is probably getting stressed about it all and that will not help her learn what you want. Once she learns to go on command you can just delay the command until you are in a more suitable place.

Sue from England

I actually just had another thought related to Greyt_dog_lover's suggestion and Sohpiesmum's - wy not use the wooden sticks and construction fencing to block her out of the driveway area temporarily. She may initially start going right next to it, but then gradually start going further away. Taht may be less stressful than fencing her in somewhere else. Just another option. :dunno

On the leash training method, one clarification - don't just stand there waiting ofr her to go. You should walk her around in the area where you want her to go,sometimes walking in small circles helps.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Fluffy

Why not take out a small sheet of newspaper and pop it under her butt when she squats to poop. Easy then to pop it into a plastic bag and dispose of and nothing left on the drive to wash away. Eventually she will learn to go where you want and you can stop doing this but meanwhile she is probably getting stressed about it all and that will not help her learn what you want. Once she learns to go on command you can just delay the command until you are in a more suitable place.

I also second this approach - my guy has had some smeary poop issues, and I took the advice of a GTer and started carrying (cheap, basic) paper plates on our walks - he squats, I slip a plate under his butt, and suddenly the stress of being afraid my neighbors hate me and my poop-residue-leaving dog disappears. Our combined aim isn't always 100%, and sometimes some or all of the poop misses the plate, but it cuts WAY down on cleanup and - more importantly, to me - STRESS about cleaning up. Once you take that owner stress out of the situation, the whole thing becomes just so much easier to cope with in whatever way you settle on. Or at least that's the way it turned out for me.

Guest LindsaySF

Aidan likes to poop on the deck and on the brick patio, especially if the grass is wet or it is raining outside. I admit it, I don't like it. We hang out on that deck and patio and I'd rather not have to look at turds there. :lol At least in the grass they are farther away and I don't really see them until I go out to scoop the yard, it's not right underfoot. So I can understand why the OP is concerned.

That said, I agree with some of the advice given. I would leash walk her to the 'right' spot and reinforce her pottying there. It will take a lot of repetition, you'll have to go out with her every time, but eventually she'll get it. I would also temporarily fence off the driveway while you are working on this. To this day the only way to ensure Aidan won't poop on the deck (unless we are out there right with him) is to shut the deck gate and lock him in the yard.

Pottying in the house is a bigger concern to me. Is she doing that because she won't go outside? Where and when is she pottying in the house?

This is almost funny, given how many times one person in a relationship wants to keep a foster and the other says no more dogs and the dog ends up staying. I'll preface this by saying I won't be requiring anyone's permission to acquire or keep a dog - least of all someone who isn't keeping me. That aside, if the "rub" is the dog pottying in an undesired place, that can be fixed and the issue will be resolved. If the husband wants to agree to a dog and then resent it, there's some growing up to do and perhaps need to relationship counseling. That kind of behavior only sabotages relationships.

I don't think it's funny. Chad fosters a lot and I believe he's an adoption rep, as am I. A family member not being on board with an adoption is a huge red flag. Huge. Especially if there are issues with the current dog, and that dog is also a recent adoption. That's just asking for a bounce to happen. You'd be surprised how many family members "reluctantly agree" to a dog, then it is bounced a few months later because they were never really on board in the first place. Sure they need to grow up, but the dog still gets bounced.

To the OP, I would work on these potty issues first, before bringing up chipping to the DH. Once the potty issues are resolved, and your new pup has been with you a little longer and settled in more, then revisit the topic of keeping your foster. :) Chad is right, if you adopt another now, with the constant driveway and house pooping, DH is probably going to resent the dog(s), and maybe event resent you.

Good luck!

~Lindsay~