May 26, 2000 And May 26 2007

Guest GentleHugs

Guest GentleHugs

May 26, 2000 - I lost my very first Greyhound, Hannah. She was just shy of being 3 years old when she was attacked and killed by 2 loose dogs. I was a new Greyhound mom back then. Her sudden and unexpected death left me numb until she sent Romeo, my first senior, to me May 31st to help heal my heart. She also taught me that true love is forever. She was my beginning into a wonderful world filled with 6 more gorgeous Greyhounds after her. I made a promise to her that I would post every year to as many Greyhound forums I could to remind everyone to be aware of their surroundings when out walking their Greyhounds. I have not failed in that promise to her.

My beautiful girl Hannah Catherine

post-11287-12749241394335_thumb.jpg

May 26, 2007 - My heart shattered again when my beloved heart girl Jackie died from cancer of the heart just 11 days shy of her 12th birthday. I could not understand why my first 2 girls were taken from me on the same exact day only 7 years apart. My life has never been the same since and my heart has never really healed from her passing either. She knew everything about me - all my secrets, desires, fears - everything. She was my heart, my soul, my world.

My beloved Jackie (Jacquelyn Grace)

post-11287-12749251753881.jpg

God speed girls.... I love you and I miss you so. Please tell Romeo and Heisman I love and miss them, too.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I can't ever forget them either, Therese -- I know it's not the same as the love you carry in your heart for them. But they're both family, all the same.. sending white light for healing, my friend.

What an awful day May 26 must be for you. They were both very beautiful.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest GentleHugs

What an awful day May 26 must be for you. They were both very beautiful.

I dread May 26th every year now - not because I don't want to remember or mourn the loss of my two precious girls but because my Ashley is 12 1/2 and she's having some slight issues with cognitive dysfunction now. A few days ago, she wasn't doing well at all and my anxiety about her health combined with May 26th approaching - well, it was hard not to think a "what if" question.

Hannah never raced. She was adopted out to another family when she was a pup but the family returned her when she turned 2 1/2 because their youngest boy developed a fear of large dogs. She was extremely gentle, very loving and was afraid of rabbits. I adopted her shortly after she was returned sight unseen because at the time I had 3 house rabbits and knew she would pretty much leave them alone. She did. Bless her heart. She loved her walks and I loved every minute I spent with her. It took me a while to track down the owners of the 2 loose dogs but I finally found them, had them prosecuted and won my case but I knew it wouldn't bring Hannah back to me. I made a promise to her that I would post every year to warn others about the dangers of loose dogs in her memory and I've kept that promise now for 10 years.

Jackie was an alpha - a black brindle (black with brown stripes) to boot although it's hard to tell in her pic - very aloof and ruled the house with an iron paw to a point. No one wanted to adopt Jackie because of her alpha attitude and because of her looks. She had a stare that pierced right through you which scared most people. She came to me when she just turned 5. She would always look at me first to see whether or not I wanted her to handle the situation or if I was going to handle the situation. She was extremely smart, a decent racer and she was half Irish. She loved to play fetch and the time I took her to Abilene for their gathering - she wanted that lure soooooo bad that it took everything in me to hold her tiny 56 lb frame back. Nothing phased Jackie as far as unfamiliar surroundings. She could stay in a motel room by herself with no incidents. She was as dedicated to me as I was to her. She never countersurfed and never cockroached. She thought cockroaching left her too vulnerable since she was top dog in the pack. I'm sponsoring her niece now. Her name is Lookbutdonttouch aka Sabrina and she looks identical to her Aunt Jackie. (Difference is Sabrina is cat safe, outgoing and a large girl - Jackie was high prey drive, aloof and tiny).

Thanks for allowing me to remember my girls..... weep.gifbrokenheart.gif

Just know that we are thinking of you and your bridge babies. Thank you for keeping your promise and reminding us each year.

So sorry....such tragic circumstances.....

Thank you. You've kept your promise to them both again this year.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest ss556

Hugs to you. I can only imagine how painful that day was for you. Some losses we never get over. I hope you find peace.