Manners / Obedience Classes

We've had Molly about 6 weeks, and we've started teaching some basic manners at home (like Wait). But we thought a manners class taught through our local humane society would be fun for her (she loves other dogs), as well a good bonding experience for all of us.

Before we choose the class (they have several times throughout the week) --- I was planning to call and talk to the instructor to find out if she/he had any experience with greyhounds. Any other questions to ask or thing to be prepared for?

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Sounds a good idea. Doc and I enjoyed this, he certainly wasn't the star of the class but it did lots for both our confidence vis-a-vis other dogs and was also excellent for bonding as you say.

Make sure it's positive, rewards-based training. Indeed I'd suggest asking if you could go and sit in on a class before you join - good trainers are normally happy with this and it means to get to see their style/ training environment before signing up.

Otherwise, 2 things to check on are whether you should take your own treats and what the floor surface is. Our hall was linoleum which wasn't slippery but I used to take along a blanket for Doc to lie on for 'down' etc!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

You could also ask if the training sessions are outdoors in an unfenced area. Sometimes they do that when teaching offleash Stay, which of course you DON'T want to do with a greyhound. The most important thing of all, is like Docs said, make sure it's positive training. Negative training methods totally backfire with opinionated, sensitive dogs like greyhounds.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I had a bad experience with a basic manners class being taught in a large gym with several other classes going on simultaneously. VERY overstimulating for my high prey foster boy.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

most obedience instructors do not have experience w/ greys, but many do have experience w/ RESCUE dogs. that's what you want. they will know that there is an unsure past w/ a resuce, one really does not know what they have been subjected to and will approach training gently.

look for positive reinforcement and a class that will teach your dog to focus on YOU. let the instructor know you want to make a connection w/ the dog as well as teach basic manners. the connection is the basic key to training a pup.

explain that the cold floors are uncomfortable and ask if a rug or blanket is o.k. my teacher use to get annie's blanket when we first started training. now she is fine sitting and lying on anything, she is so comfortable in class.

remember that the greyhound has a short attention span, ask about that and what to do during down time. the labs and goldens will be working away and your pup will be boerd stiff. i always play w/ a toy and practice little things while the other dogs are repeating the task that my grey is boerd with.

if your instructor will accept a dog who thinks for themself(that's what sighthounds need to do) and will give you guidance and room to deal w/ an ultra bright dog who boers easily then go with it. but remember, no one knows what any of the handlers or trainers were like in your pup's past, make sure that is very clear.

enjoy obedience and boil up and slice some hot dogs for treats. a grey will NOT work with out a food reward, anyway the greys i know!

Thanks everyone! Good advice! It's a postive reinforcement class using the clicker (which is something we've been interested in). I'll give them a class on Monday and see if I can sit in on a class before we sign up.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Definitely ask for a class at a quiet time. Not only does the noise distract and bother them, there's just too much movement for a sighthound to be able to focus. And make sure there aren't any littles in the class if your grey isn't small dog tolerant.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have worked my dogs in classes w/ both small and noisey dogs. I stay at the other end of the line or away from the noisy dogs or in the circle when walking.You have the ability to change your position in the class as needed.

I find it helpful to have realistic distractions and "bait" as those tiny white things appear to be. You will learn to deal w/ the situation and keep your pup focused on you and not that tiny white thing that is bouncing around. I ran into my older gal trying to litteraly pick up a skipperke on diagonal recalls; there were 4 of us doing recalls at the same time. Yes she responded to "drop it" and the poor skipperkee(the instuctor's dog) has never been the same. but it was a demonstration of control and response. so i believe in mixed classes.

Also, do remember to talk to your instructor after class if there seems to be a situation and that you are not comfortable with.