Palate Injury

Guest greyarea

Guest greyarea

Last night I gave Molly (7) and Lucy (9) their milk bones as usual, turned around and the next thing I know they are literally at each other's throats. After physically separating them, Lucy was in respiratory distress - Molly was fine. At first I though Lucy was choking on the milk bone - until I noticed the blood. LOTS of blood. Apparently, in the altercation, Lucy's front teeth had caught on Molly's collar tearing the gum and breaking the tip of her palate (the Emergency Vet report later called this "oral trauma, rostral palatal laceration, rostral maxillary fracture"). I could see that the incisors were no longer aligned and were flapping forward as if hinged from above. As I indicated, we ended up at the Emergency Vet. Overnight they took Xrays and performed surgery to suture up the wound. The concern is whether or not this is enough to keep the bone in place and that Lucy may lose the incisors. She may also need additional surgery depending on how well this holds. As a minimum they want to see her in 10 days to remove the sutures and evaluate. (note - the vet was very greyhound sensitive and had obviously dealt with them before. Lucy had no problems coming out of anesthesia this morning)

Obviously, this was pretty horrific for us to deal with. But Lucy is resting quietly today. She ate a little soft food this morning and has slept most of the day.

Has anyone seen this kind of injury before? Greyhound jaws do seem fragile.

She's not to be allowed play toys for 3 months and we're to try to keep her from "rooting" around. My biggest concern is her biting or "knitting" at itches on her rump. I'm thinking maybe her "old friend" the muzzle?

It was a short night and we're all a bit frazzled today.

If you don't want to muzzle her you can get her a No Bite collar which won't allow her to nit anywhere. I think it would be a little more comfortable than an e collar. Hope she heals quickly.

Most fights between dogs happen over toys and food. You might want to keep all toys put away for the 3 month period, or take your other pup outside and play with the toys and put them away inside. The temptation to play with toys might be hard on her.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TeddysMom

I am so sorry this happened, I feel badly for all of you. I had to give up giving treats unless everyone is seperated after reading so many horror stories of fights. Now I am overly cautious I guess. Lucy will be in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Hugs to you and your babies. :grouphug Try to get some rest today.

Guest KennelMom

Holy Yikes! I've never heard of that kind of trauma...her jaw broke from being entangled in a collar? ow ow ow ow ow...(I know I'm not helping).

Sending prayers to your girl for a speedy and complete recovery :hope :hope Gentle ear scritches too...Sounds like you handled a rather scary situation quite well!

Guest Energy11

First, I am sorry this had to happen to all of you!

Of all the stuff I've seen, this is a first for me. I am SURE you were very upset and scared.

I am very paranoid with feeding and giving treats, too.

Sending lots of healing thoughts to all!

I've heard of this kind of thing before. Not quite this type of injury, but similar.

I am sorry this happened to you and your family! I pray for a good recovery!

Another reason for breakaway collars...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Oh OW.

Yeah, I'd think the basket muzzle might be your best friend for a bit. Would try it first while you're at home and can watch to see if it will work without impeding things. FWIW, Joseph wore one for the best part of two weeks after his tummy surgery (but he didn't have a snout injury).

Hugs and hopes for quick, complete healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyarea

Thanks to all for the kind words and good wishes.

I think we will try the muzzle this weekend while we can monitor her. She hasn't worn one in a while and probably won't be crazy about it. But we need to protect those sutures.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Ouch, poor kid! Just wondering, how are her teeth? I wonder if some underlying bone loss might have contributed to her maxillary fracture? If so, the vet likely would have noted that when he was fixing her up... Hopefully that bone will knit just fine and she won't lose any of her toofers!

Guest tinams8

Wow! Ouch. I know some people don't keep collars on their dogs because a tooth might get caught...but I had no idea THAT could happen!

I hope she heals up quickly!

Guest Paige12

Have you thought about those soft cloth, almost a webbing kind of muzzle? Or is that the kind you have anyways? So sorry for this awful accident to have happen. I can't imagine how you felt!! Wishes for a smooth recovery!

Guest 2greygirls

OUCH!

I would think a basket muzzle would help...as they are used to wearing them and don't restrict movement..that has to be one tough place to try and keep immobile, can they wire it somehow?

Guest greyarea

Again, thanks for all the support. Lucy is doing well today - though she's a bit bothered by the sutures behind her front teeth! Lots of licking and mouthing. We had her out for our normal trip to the boat ramp - she loves a ride in the car, but was perhaps a bit less enthusiastic about hanging her head out the window today. She's eating well - soft food only.

As for the condition of her teeth, the Emergency Vet was quite impressed with her mouth. I brush Lucy's and Molly's teeth fairly often with an electric tooth brush (I tried a Sonicare, but that's a bit intense for them!) and scale them pretty regularly. My normal vet said that Lucy's teeth look better than most dogs' after they've had a cleaning. Still, I think the incisors have a bit of plaque buildup.

So far, so good. We just hope for the best over the next week or so until we see the Vet again.

Thanks again for the input and support!

Lucy, you're in on the nightly candle in ND now . . . . and I think any of us would be bothered by sutures behind our front teeth! Yuk!!!!!!!!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest TeddysMom

Just checking in on Lucy this morning, hope she is feeling better. Teddy just licked his stitches through the muzzle so I had to put tape on the end until the poop cup arrived.

Guest greyarea

We've had a good weekend - Lucy is resting a lot and eating normally. No bad reactions to meds and all seems to be going well. Spent some time "reintroducing" Lucy to her turnout muzzle. She's not crazy about it (it's been a while!), but we'll keep working with it. All in all, she seems to be doing better than I had expected. I'll schedule her followup with and deliver Xrays to our regular vet tomorrow. After viewing the Xrays, it's easy to see how this kind of injury can occur. Such small bones! Thanks for all the support and good thoughts.

BTW - Lucy could be Maggie's twin sister - looks JUST like her!

Guest TeddysMom

I am happy to read the update that Lucy is doing well and eating. Will keep her in my prayers for a fast and easy recovery.