Palate Injury

Guest greyarea

Wow...thanks, for sharing your story. This type of injury would never occur to me, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. Here's hoping she has a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Sharing your story may help prevent this from happening to someone else. I'm so sorry this happened.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

in humans the mouth/gums heals really quickly, i've had more stiches and oral surgery than you can imagine. hopefully it will be as fast for dogs. the basket muzzle sounds like the most protective device, sorta like having an aircast. excellent response to the emergency situation.

Edited by cleptogrey

Hoping for a speedy recovery and no problems with her teeth. poor girl - sending soft scritches.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest eaglflyt

When Ady Bea had her surgery, her muzzle with a stool cup was perfect to keep her from licking or biting at her stitches for two weeks. If we hadn't had it, I don't think we would have had any sleep for that time. Ady Bea accepted it well after the first few hours and she healed perfectly.

Best wishes that all heals well!

Guest jade1046

Sending my best wishes and hugs to Lucy for a complete recovery. :grouphug

Just wanted to share a similar story. When my daughter adopted an abandoned pup, Maxine, she didn't have a second collar so I gave her one of my extra martingales. She already had another dog - they are both Heinz 57's - and the two were horsing around one day when she heard ungodly doggie screeching. Somehow Charli had gotten her tooth caught in Maxine's collar and because it was a martingale, my daughter couldn't get it off because the dogs, obviously, wouldn't hold still. What eventually happened in all the commotion was that Charli pulled away so hard, she yanked her tooth right out! It was stuck in the collar still around Maxine's neck, root and all! Believe it or not, Charli just went about her business after that - no worse for the wear. Needless to say, Max got a regular collar right away and I went home and ordered breakaway collars for my two greys to wear at home with their tags. Martingales only for walking now.

Guest greyarea

Thanks for the info and perspective on break-aways. We'll have to look into that for sure. For now, Lucy has accepted the turnout muzzle and that lets me sleep a little easier. I try to give her a break from it when I can keep an eye on her. Also saw a DIY "no-bite" collar design (came from Greytalk) that I might try.

http://forum.threadb...ead.php?t=17109

Lucy continues to do fine; eating well and resting a lot. Sutures come out next Monday, so until then...

Guest greyarea

Took Lucy in to see our Vet yesterday - it had been 10 days. Teeth alignment is good and no discoloration. Her palate has healed well, though there's a depression on one side that will hopefully fill in. All in all, the vet was happy with her progress. We'll continue with soft food and using the muzzle for at least another week. Lots of mouthing and licking this morning - I think the last of the stitches may be dissolving.

The vet wants to see her back in 30 days for follow up Xrays, which requires her to be anesthetized. My feeling on this is, if there's reason to believe there's a problem, yes, we need to find out what's going on and treat it. But if she's doing well and all seems fine, why take the risk? Guess we'll wait and see how she's doing at that point and go from there.

Thanks to all for all the support and good wishes.

Guest greyarea

I forgot to mention: if you go to www.johnmtaylor.com and scroll down to the description of his book "Gulf Winds," you can see a picture of Lucy. I met John while he was in the area researching his book. I had Lucy and Molly with me at the time and since the hero in his book has a retired racing greyhound, we struck up a conversation.

Took Lucy in to see our Vet yesterday - it had been 10 days. Teeth alignment is good and no discoloration. Her palate has healed well, though there's a depression on one side that will hopefully fill in. All in all, the vet was happy with her progress. We'll continue with soft food and using the muzzle for at least another week. Lots of mouthing and licking this morning - I think the last of the stitches may be dissolving.

The vet wants to see her back in 30 days for follow up Xrays, which requires her to be anesthetized. My feeling on this is, if there's reason to believe there's a problem, yes, we need to find out what's going on and treat it. But if she's doing well and all seems fine, why take the risk? Guess we'll wait and see how she's doing at that point and go from there.

Thanks to all for all the support and good wishes.

I'm with you. If she's doing well then she don't need the stress or danger of anesthesia-at least I wouldn't do it for my dog.