How Many Pees And Poops Are Too Many?

We've had Maggie since the end of November. We've dealt with pudding poop - no urgency - just pudding, which is now somewhat controlled with Metamucil (at least it's pick-up-able). She has always peed and pooped MANY times a day. I kept count for a few days - 8 pees and 5 poops. She is offered out lots of times a day, as you can see. Sometimes she wants out and then sometimes Dusty will stand up 10 minutes later so I get him out and she'll go out and generally go again. We've been through pee and poop tests (nothing has shown since her round worms in early December). Just curious as to any thoughts or advice. Is she going that many times just because she can? Does more/less protein or other ingredients in food make them pee/poop more? I'm cleaning up as much poop as when we had four dogs. If only I could fine some resale value :lol

I have had this rarely when one of my babe's stomachs were upset. They would poop the "pudding poop" for a few days. Any extra stress or change would do it. One time I painted the interior of my home and had to move furniture all over the place to paint from room to room. My one girl pooped like that for a week!! :ohno It always went away. I now have one really shy girl who is a little bit of a spook but so sweet. She does this when something is really different in her world. I add a little bit of cooked rice, millet, or oatmeal to the food to give it a binder. It helps. Sorry I could not give any useful advice. Good luck.

Beth typically poops 4 times a day, and at least 3, so 5 doesn't sound like too much (though it's most typically just on two occasions per day -- 1-2 poops on her morning and her late afternoon walk; sometimes she'll go midday or late evening if she's missed her "second installment" on one of the earlier outings). The quality of her "output" is firm for the first morning poop, then declines to a greater or lesser degree after that -- but it's all about how long it's been since the last time. Volume doesn't seem excessive. She eats TOTW.

Peeing I can't even count, since my dog pees to mark as well as when she really has to go. But she typically pees before and after each poop, which doesn't seem to be part of the marking. Anyway, well over 8 times a day.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Swifthounds

Frequent peeing and pooing sometimes is a byproduct of a hound that is eager to please (ie they have been praised for pottying during training) so think every time in the yard they should potty. Some dogs will try to go every time they happen to be outside, regardless of why they first went out (normal potty run, exercise, whatever).

Where there are signs of GI distress (ie unformed stools) the two symptoms in combination suggest to me that the dog's diet doesn't agree with them. When the body has something in the GI tract that is upsetting it, it has two reactions - vomiting or diarrhea - both designed to expel the offending item ASAP.

I had Carl on a walk one day and he pooped 7 times. He may have pooped later in the day in the yard, but I didn't see him do it. He typically will poop at least 4 times on a walk, then later in the evening, so 5 doesn't sound out of the ball park. Claire limits herself to 2 poops per day usually.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest LindsaySF

Some hounds just go because they have the opportunity. They figure, well I'm here, I might as well. :lol Unless she is asking to go out that often, like she needs to go frequently, I wouldn't worry.

Some dogs also poop a lot on walks as a form of scent marking. Teagan and Rogan will back up and poop high up on bushes to mark them. blink.gif

My boys pee a gazillion times on a walk. And they poop normally 3 times a day.

When the food wasn't agreeing with Ollie he pooped 5-8 times a day. Just mounds.

Now, on raw, he has the best of everyone's poops and they are small. Hard to believe they came out of a 90 pound dog.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project