Look What We Did This Weekend!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

Tada, we have a sit!

sit1.jpg

I took PrairieProf's suggestion to start teaching Jayne to sit facing downhill. I had to put her into the sit the first couple times, but she caught on quickly. Once we moved indoors she refused to sit unless she could put her butt on her pillow at first, but soon after I was able to get her to sit on the floor too. All it took was lots of praise and a little bit of braunschweiger.

I had seen Jayne go into a sit on her own several times, both in her crate and in the yard, so I knew she would be able to. I'm happy I was able to teach it to her, but I would have been just as pleased with her if she never decided to sit.

Guest Drumhellergrey

Good Jayne. :thumbs-up:yay

Mine will sit on his own, but only for short periods. After all, they aren't ready built for that position.

They are so willing to please, within reason aren't they?

Guest burgerandfrey

Jayne is a beautiful girl!

Our Lola sits on her own sometimes too, and we have been meaning to teach her to sit on command like our boy Zeke does. It's more important with Zeke though. Sometimes he gets too excited and telling him to sit keeps him from jumping you while you put his food down!

Guest NJgrey

Good girl! Our Ellie did the same thing. She'd sit on her own so it was easy to get her to do it on command for a treat. She still prefers to put her butt down on something soft, but we recently got her to do it on hard floors.

Congrats!

Who me?? It worked?! Wahoo!!! :clap :clap :yay :yay Well I knew that the hill tactic that worked so perfectly for teaching Beth to sit on command would have to work for at least some other greyhounds.

Now Beth frequently drops into sits on walks to bribe me for treats -- I sort of created a sitting monster. :rolleyes:

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Lovely sit, Jayne! :clap

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Good girl Jayne!!!

:yay :yay :yay

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest zombrie

Good girl! Mira kind of sits on command, it's more like a half sit, half laying down :lol I think she needs to get a few lessons from your girl!

The "instructions" were just to try asking your dog for the sit with her/him facing downwards on a hill. I noticed my dog would often sit spontaneously on hills, and after struggling for several weeks to teach the sit during our first training class, I thought of asking her that way -- she immediately got it and, like Jayne, was quickly able to generalize to doing it on the flat.

The signal for a sit is holding a treat in front of their nose then raising it up and backwards over their head. So far as I know positive-reinforcement training techniques don't ever physically push the dog into a sit, though it does work for some.

Beth says hi and congratulations to Jayne (this is one of her many spontaneous sits):

downsized_0316001030.jpg

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Wasserbuffel

I had trouble using the treat to coax her into a sit. My problem was that I had taught her to back up first and she thought that was what I was asking for. I did have to physically put her into the sit, but I made sure to do it carfully so I didn't hurt or scare her. I just lifted one back leg at a time until I was supporting her whole rear, then I lowered her butt to the ground. I don't think trying to push the butt down from above would work too well, and lifting like I did won't work for all hounds. Jayne is exceedingly easygoing about letting us manipulate her body, but I know not all hounds are.

All it took was lots of praise and a little bit of braunschweiger
If only all the world's problems could be solved so readily!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

i could not try the sit/hillside in my area.and was starting to get really frustrated. the trails i frequent are a composite for horses and are not condusive to sitting what so ever. i have been working our new gal,annie, into a sit from a down position. i thought that she just wasn't getting it....that was until sat. nite.

i had the dogs at the kitchen gate, i was feeding one of my borders and extra meal and the other 3 hounds were dying for some rice and chop meat. i took out a bisket, said,"Annie, sit!" and low and behold ....she got it and sat. then we tried it again, and again. at one point she couldn't figure out the sit, so she went into a down and then pushed herself up into a sit. since then she now sits right in front of me when she wants something....mmmmmmm. that will be redirected to heeling at obedience classes.

Guest Wasserbuffel

I have created a bit of a sitting monster now too. Last night we went outside for a bit of training. As I walked toward the middle of the back yard I noticed Jayne had stopped following. I turned to see her sitting on the slope where we first managed sit, waiting patiently for the treat she knew I had in my hand.