Crating Time Question

Guest Volcano

Guest Volcano

Hi Everyone,

We got our retired hound this past Saturday and it has been great! The first couple days were tricky with adjusting (we are new first time owners) but it has been fun growing into a routine with our boy. I have a question on crating...

I leave for work at 9AM and return at 5PM - can my hound stay in his crate for this duration?

Thanks for your replies.

That's an awfully long time for him to go without a potty break or a chance to stretch his legs. Can you get a petsitter/dogwalker for a midday visit? I still crate my girl after a year and a half (she really likes the crate) but I never leave her for more than 5 hours without a break. If it's going to be longer, I have someone come in. Even if you weren't crating him, that's a long time to expect him to go without a potty break before he's used to living in a home, though some dogs can probably acclimate to it over time -- I wouldn't ask my dog to wait that long, though, except overnight when she's asleep anyway.

Did you discuss this with your adoption group? This is an issue I'd imagine you'd think through before bringing a dog home...

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Volcano

That's why I asked the question - I'm not sure what the dog is used to at the track.

Currently I come home around 2 for a walk break. I am trying to figure out if the extra 3 hours are punishment or if it's something the dog is accustomed to anyway. He sleeps while we are gone (I check in on him several times a day via webcam).

Guest lasharp1209

I leave mine all day (8 hrs) in the crate without a problem. It's always nice when I am able to come home to let him out, but I'm not able to do that all the time.

When we first got him, I came home mid-day for about a week, then gradually worked up to leaving him longer and longer until we reached the full workday.

Edited by lasharp1209

Guest Jubilee251

I think you'll find some mixed responses on this, and it depends on the dog too. One adoption group I spoke with initially (didn't end up adopting from them because they were a bit too far) said it was fine to crate your dog the whole workday because they're used to it at the track. But we crate her at night when we sleep, and it just seemed cruel to keep her in a crate all day and all night, even with plenty of exercise and potty breaks. I think crating at the track is also very different as well - they have all their greyhound buddies around.

Molly hated being in her crate alone. On the third day, we babygated the front doorway, and just left her loose in the house. She is much, much happier. In the 3 months she's been here, she hasn't chewed, knocked anything over, counter-surfed, or had an accident.

Is there a reason you're crating (cats, housetraining, etc.) or just because that's what you were told? Is he crated at night as well?

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

If the dog gets lots of exercise and attention before and after, and is calm in the crate, then I think it's fine. I am blessed that I do not have to work, and only three of my dogs get crated in the rare instance that I leave, and one of those three I can probably wean off of it soon.

Guest isntitgreyt

I crate all day. My DD comes home at 230 and lets them out but on days she doesn't come home they are fine. You will get mixed reviews!

Guest ThunderPaws

Some of my dogs are crated all day while I am at work, 9-10 hours, they have big 48" wire crates and never complain. :)

Guest sheila

While I understand that there are dogs that really find safety and comfort in their crates, I tend to wish that folks would at least try to wean there dogs away from it, or at least leave the crate door open so the dogs can use it at will.

With my first greyhound I had a crate for my dog and I think he may have spent an hour in it when I decided, 'I'm not liking this at all' and I let him out. I returned the crate the next day for store credit and bought a cushy dog bed and a baby gate. I've had 5 greys total and not a single one of them has ever been crated in my house. That's not to say that there haven't been problems. I've had things chewed on/peed on/pooped on etc. I can tell some hilarious stories of counter surfing fiascos, but for myself I consider that part of the program when I have dogs.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Two of mine would trash the house. They are young. However, as mentioned, I am usually gone without the dogs a total of maybe three hours per week, and not all at once. And the crates are huge- big enough for an adult male Great Dane to stand up and not touch the top. Monet is upset she hasn't got a crate anymore, because my BIL died and his Golden Retriever x Dane puppy NEEDS a crate obviously. So Monet is now loose at night and when I leave, and she mopes around outside the crate. I swear she'd be happier crated all day, even when I'm home. She's weird.

Potty breaks aside, I think it's unfair to expect an only dog to stay couped up in a crate all day long. If you can videotape a typical day and still feel good after watching it, then you may have one of those dogs who prefers to be crated. I have never seen one like that though. They just seem happier and much more content in the house. You do need to train them for that and there are some dogs who still have trouble with that much freedom but at least it is worth a try.

It does depend on the dog but requires effort on the owners part to find out what type of dog they have and to provide them with what they need.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest kydie

Everyone has their own thoughts on this, I never crated, I used baby gates to keep him out of areas I didn't want him in, and if an "accident" happened, well, it did, but I never had that issue, I too feel that is a long time, If for some reason I am gone more than 4 hours, which is rare, I have someone come and let them out Good Luck :)

Guest Chefcnam

I leave my grey in the bedroom blocked off by a babygate from 6:30am to 3:00pm, 5 days a week while I'm at work. She has not had an accident in the house in the past month and a half that I've had her.

Guest pennmorgan

It's fine to leave your dog in there all day if you can't make it home. As long as he's not in distress, there's nothing wrong with it. We crated Olivia while we were out of the house for the first year we had her. We just took her crate down because we're trying to sell the house and can't have an ugly crate around, and she's adapted to that, too.

But honestly, I preferred having the crate because it gave me extra piece of mind that she wouldn't get into trouble (not that she has--she's never destroyed or eaten anything or had any accidents, in crate or out). Plus, she sleeps on her bed where the crate used to be and, as far as I can tell, never moves from it anyway--so what's the difference if there were bars around her? Whatever makes you comfortable is fine, and the dog will adapt or you'll try something new.

Guest dragontearz

When I got Guinness, I put him in the crate for three days-and every day, I would come back to find he had chewed on the crate so hard there was blood around the floor all around it- he could not stand the crate..I took it down, and that was that, he was fine not being in a crate and still is six years later, but it depends on the dog-some see it as a prison cell, some see it as their safe zone.

Guest Volcano

Thanks for the replies everyone - and we understand that there are mixed feelings on the question. The main focus for the question was to see if there was anything intrinsically wrong with the notion - but if it varies from dog to dog we may just have to try it out and see how it goes.

We keep an internet cam on him all day for observation since he is new to us (checked every half hour if not more) and he is usually sleeping in his crate. The radio is on and he is not in distress at all.

In fact he is most upset right after leaving from the mid day walk - then he will howl and bark for the next hour until he goes back to sleep. Which is why we have reluctance in hiring a dog walker.

You're going to wish you hadn't asked.

Yes, he can stay in the crate all day.

I am going on year 18 as a single, condo dwelling dog owner. I cannot afford a dog walker, and I work a regular 8 hour job. Except in the case of illness, I have NEVER had either dog have an accident.

There is NO reason a healthy adult dog cannot hold it during the day. Most dogs just sleep all day when you're not there anyway. If you can afford a dog walker, great! Go for it.

My first dog adored his crate. He used it for 2.5 YEARS and only stopped 'cause I made him! My greyhound HATED his crate. I think he felt that 3 years at the track was enough of a crate for him. I stopped using it after a month. He has never chewed anything, broken anything, etc.

I'd do what your adoption group suggests, and take what you hear on this board with a grain of salt. The OUTRAGE you'll hear from some that you want your dog to stay home ALL DAY while you work will really surprise you...but trust me, lots and lots and lots and lots of dogs do the exact same thing Monday - Friday.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I tried crating my first greyhound, but it only lasted a couple of weeks. She HATED it in there. When she broke one of the wires so that it was jabbing into the crate, I decided the crate was a safety hazard to her and stopped crating her. I then got another greyhound to keep her company (and because I wanted two) and now I muzzle them both and give them free roam of my apartment while I'm gone (they got into a couple of "squabbles" resulting in stitches, so I muzzle them for their safety. They get along wonderfully when I'm around, so I'm not sure what it was all about -i hadn't left any high value treats or toys around). I leave them for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and so far there haven't been any accidents (I've had them for 10 months now). Anyway, before adopting my first, I was concerned about leaving a dog alone for so long. I then figured that these dogs need homes and I've meet countless happy dogs who are home alone for 8 hours a day. I make sure to give them a lot of exercise and I spend a lot of time with them on the weekends.

Edited by Erin

When we first got him, I came home mid-day for about a week, then gradually worked up to leaving him longer and longer until we reached the full workday.

This is a good plan, whether dog is crated or loose. It gives the dog a chance to get used to your schedule, and the person a chance to figure out dog's potty needs.

Many dogs can adjust to "holding it" for 8-9 hours. Some can't. (Heck, I can't! Can you?)

Congratulations on your new pup, and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

New foster for 3rd day. Got lucky,perfect boy,so far. Group would like him crated but He has tasted freedom. He lived at a local vet tech school for 3 yrs.A new employee was grey savy and said enough. Our group took him on. He has the prettiest teeth! Had lots of practise time:)

Even though we only crated Capri at night for the few few months, and gave her free run of our house during the days, I agree with the suggestion to hire a mid-day dogwalker and work up to all-day crating. Like the OP, we were new to dog ownership when we got our baby, so I was a little surprised that for the first few weeks she had to potty about every 1.5 hours. (This is an individual thing, of course) But as she settled in over time, her potty requirements widened out to two and then three hours. For the last few months, she's been primarily a morning and evening pottier and doesn't go in the middle of the day even though we still offer it to her.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest rachel2025

Hey There --

Pike stays crated while we are at work with a dog walker (we've tried muzzle/non-crating, which resulted in our blinds being destroyed, non-crating/no muzzle, which resulted in our door moulding being destroyed, and baby gating, which resulted in the molding around the bedroom door being destroyed).

It took him several months, but he has had the routine down for a long time now: we go to work, he goes to crate/sleeps, wakes up for dog walk/goes back to crate & sleep.

He's a very happy hound, and let's face it, he sleeps about 22.5 hours a day, anyhow! LOL

I feel loads better having the dog walker/giving him an extra dose of exercise during the day... especially keeps me from worrying if I have to work late/pick up dinner on the way home, but I know there are lots who don't use one at all.

Good luck! Many of us have full-time jobs and happy greys on this board. :)

Just for the heck of it, I e-mailed Lee Livingood (author of Greyhound for Dummies) and posed the question to her.

Here is her response:

I view crates as an appropriate method for training or when necessary for safety or health reasons. The ultimate goal should be to get the dog trained to the degree he doesn't need to be crated unless there are safety reasons or health reasons to do so. If the dog does need to be crated all day for whatever appropriate reason, then someone should come in and give them a break every few hours or so. Even at the tracks the dogs are not kept confined for 8-10 hours at a time except overnight.

Lee Livingood

Certified Dog Behavior Consultant,

International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest gecko_foot

Hi Everyone,

We got our retired hound this past Saturday and it has been great! The first couple days were tricky with adjusting (we are new first time owners) but it has been fun growing into a routine with our boy. I have a question on crating...

I leave for work at 9AM and return at 5PM - can my hound stay in his crate for this duration?

Thanks for your replies.

I crate Tumnus at most for 8 hours per day. He can go longer if he absolutely has to in the event that I am held up, but these cases are few and far between. I would make sure to desensitize him to being in the crate with a lot of alone training before you leave him for extended periods. Be sure not to make a big deal about leaving or returning so that your grey learns that he shouldn't worry about it.

Congratulations and good luck!