Springtime Bug Off

Guest BunnyBlab

Guest BunnyBlab

Chemicals are best to stay away from, IMHO, if there's another product out there that does the same thing. I'd like to stay away from Frontline, etc. if I can and so does my vet! Well, after going for non-woods walks the last 2 days, somehow last night Jacoby had 2 ticks on him. One had been attached for probably a few hours and one was just wiggling his way into my boy's, shall we say, private area of his leg. I got the first one cleanly, but the second one came off in pieces. Jacoby was very helpful, but I felt so bad for my boy.

He's got a history of Lyme disease, so I'm trying to be extra-vigilant about tick discovery.

We just started Jacoby on Springtime Fresh Factors, at the suggestion of KelseysLackey, but has anyone had any success keeping ticks off with Springtime's Bug Off? Also, garlic is a no-no for dogs, but they apparently have done the research to make sure their pills are within safe limits.

I'd love to hear any good or bad experiences from you greyt people about Springtime's Bug Off.

Thanks!

I love Springtime's Fresh Factors and Joint Health. However, I tried the Bug Off and didn't have any luck with it. I haven't had a problem with ticks, so, I can't say whether or not it works for ticks.....but, it had no effect on the Florida fleas!

Not to mention, my dogs got to where they wouldn't eat their food, as I progressed to the recommended dosage.

Use the Frontline or, if you have just ticks and no fleas, try a Preventic collar.

The garlic thing is a myth.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The danger of Lyme disease is much greater than the potential side effects of Frontline. I would go with Frontline.

I've always read that garlic doesn't really work.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Energy11

Frontline Plus and Advantix collars are supposed to be good. I used Frontline Plus in Florida.

We do VERY WELL HERE with Adams Flea and Tick Mist, and we are in the South. We apply it (*we use the water-based spray) every Saturday.

Good Luck! I hate ticks!! UGH!

Guest BunnyBlab

Use the Frontline or, if you have just ticks and no fleas, try a Preventic collar.

I heard that collars aren't good for greyhounds?

Fair number of people use the Preventic collar. AFAIK it's safe. Don't know about any others.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I heard that collars aren't good for greyhounds?

Preventic collars are fine. The other collars likely are not. It depends what's in them.

If a dog likes to chew another dog's neck in play while it's wearing a collar, nothing is safe. I have one of those in my house so I can't use them on anyone except the perpetrator.:rolleyes:

I tried it, it only worked at the beginning of flea season, then when they were out in full force it was of no help. I wrote about it here and got flamed - basically was accused of trying to kill my dogs because it was garlic. Oy.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest BunnyBlab

I tried it, it only worked at the beginning of flea season, then when they were out in full force it was of no help. I wrote about it here and got flamed - basically was accused of trying to kill my dogs because it was garlic. Oy.

Oh, geez... They have all these studies cited that says the amount of garlic they use is like 1% of what would cause problems. But I know greyhounds are "special"! :-)

We use Johnson and Johnson lavender baby powder , rub it all over there body. We have not had a flea or tick since doing this.

SERIOUSLY!? This is cheap and natural... I'd love this option if it works!

How often do you use it? Once a day? Once a week?

I'd love to apply just when we go into the woods, but Jacoby's 2 ticks the other night came from a walk around our very non-woodsy neighborhood. Drives me nuts. The nerve of these ticks to attack my beloved boy!!!

We use Johnson and Johnson lavender baby powder , rub it all over there body. We have not had a flea or tick since doing this.

Do you live in Florida? If you do, I'm outta here and on my way to the store!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Do you live in Florida? If you do, I'm outta here and on my way to the store!

We live in KY. , we live way out in the country , deer , fox , racoons , all kinds of snakes , possums , owls , eagles , owls , cattle , sheep and lots of ticks , we powder them every few weeks , they stay in a fenced half acre when they go out to potty , we found this when our white frannie turned purple and our yorkie almost died , but no ticks for years now except my wife gets them.

I think if there was an inexpensive, non chemical way to prevent fleas/ticks, we'd all about it by now!

Preventic collars to work really well. I use Frontline Plus on George, and he's never had a flea, he has no side effects from it, and while I have found ticks walking on him, he hasn't had one embedded in him yet.

My family lives on Nantucket, which sadly is a hot spot for tick-borne diseases, so I'm not about to take any chances. He gets the Lyme vaccine, and he uses his Frontline Plus.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cheltzey

Where do you buy the Preventix collars? Can you get it from a local store or do you have to order it or get it from your vet? I just found 2 ticks on Lando today and I'm grossed out.

Guest BunnyBlab

I just found 2 ticks on Lando today and I'm grossed out.

So funny! I just get really pissed when I find ticks on Jacoby. Like, "This little bug has the NERVE to mess with my precious boy!!!" Then I flush the sucker and get my revenge. Good news is that the ticks I do find that attach to my pup are dead and not all swelled with blood.

I'm using a weekly bath (you spray it all over the dog and rub it into the skin, basically, then let it air dry) of Nature's Chemistry Flea and Tick Spray. It smells like cloves and cinnamon and between that and all the freakin' pumpkin I'm feeding him every day, his most common nickname these days is "Pumpkin Pie" because he smells exactly like that and not at all like a dog. But whatever works to keep those damn bugs off my beloved boy, right?!

He doesn't love the spray (loves the rubdown, though), so I have to leash him and step on the leash to keep him from fleeing. But then he gets lovin', so he's okay with it all in the end.

FYI, I can't abide by the chemicals for this... my dog growing up almost died a few times from the flea and tick shampoo stuff. And I gotta think there's a direct correlation between all the cancer in dogs nowadays and the chemicals we keep giving them to "keep them safe." I'm not granola, per say, but I'll almost always reach for the natural cure/prevention method over the chemicals even if they have to be applied in quantity every week or whatever.

Just my $.02. ;-)